Dartmouth Anyone??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rzarecta

Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone that has interviewed at Dartmouth a while ago or that currently attends:

Have you heard anything? I interviewed there in mid to late October and haven't heard a peep. Also, I think I remembered them saying that most people wouldn't hear anything until after January, but I would like someone to confirm this. Lastly, does anyone know what month most people find out? Like does Dart give out a slough of acceptances in February or in March?

If anyone can answer these questions I would be most appreciative, since I just got waitlisted at one of my top schools and am now semi-freaking about the rest.

Members don't see this ad.

Rzarecta said:
To anyone that has interviewed at Dartmouth a while ago or that currently attends:

Have you heard anything? I interviewed there in mid to late October and haven't heard a peep. Also, I think I remembered them saying that most people wouldn't hear anything until after January, but I would like someone to confirm this. Lastly, does anyone know what month most people find out? Like does Dart give out a slough of acceptances in February or in March?

If anyone can answer these questions I would be most appreciative, since I just got waitlisted at one of my top schools and am now semi-freaking about the rest.

bump

I interviewed in January but I have not heard anything from them. I heard that they might send out all the acceptances end of March...is that true?

Has anyone gotten waitlisted or rejected post-interview yet?

I remember at my interview they were emphatic about being patient and that we would not hear from them for awhile. I think that we'll hear something back towards the end of March, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
i had an interview there in early december, and i got a waitlist letter back from them last week

I interviewed in mid-January, and got my acceptance letter in early February (it was dated about two weeks after my interview). Someone else, I don't remember who, on SDN had a similar wait time with their acceptance to Dartmouth.

But guys, don't worry. I remember at the interview they said that only a few of the acceptances are given out that quick. The bulk of the acceptances are given out later. I'm guessing that a lot of you will hear very soon. So just hang tight!

maygirl said:
I interviewed in mid-January, and got my acceptance letter in early February (it was dated about two weeks after my interview). Someone else, I don't remember who, on SDN had a similar wait time with their acceptance to Dartmouth.

But guys, don't worry. I remember at the interview they said that only a few of the acceptances are given out that quick. The bulk of the acceptances are given out later. I'm guessing that a lot of you will hear very soon. So just hang tight!

I had the same experience with them -- about two weeks turnover on acceptance. I've read elsewhere that they rank interviewees on some sort of an equation or a point system. People with top scores get letters right away, and everyone else is separated by score -- but don't worry! Keep in mind that about a third to one-half of Dartmouth interviewees are ultimately accepted, so I'm guessing that they will start sorting through the pile fairly soon.

Also, bear in mind that the AAMC requires all school to have at least a full class's worth of acceptances sent out by the end of March.

Oh yeah, and good luck to everybody! Hope to see some fellow SDNers in the fall :D

I interviewed late january and I got a waitlist letter today. What else can I say....this suxs :(

Damn surprised to see this thread revived!

I was waitlisted at Dart, and I don't know what the deal is about waitlist movement besides the generic crap they told us. When I called the office, they told me that the waitlist was unranked, but they try to attain a certain class makeup. If students reject they try to replace them with similar people. I don't know if all other schools are like this, but knowing this for some reason makes me feel like there is less of a chance to get off their WL. What else is new, getting waitlisted at any school I would want to go to.

Rzarecta said:

I was waitlisted at Dart, and I don't know what the deal is about waitlist movement besides the generic crap they told us. When I called the office, they told me that the waitlist was unranked, but they try to attain a certain class makeup. If students reject they try to replace them with similar people. I don't know if all other schools are like this, but knowing this for some reason makes me feel like there is less of a chance to get off their WL. What else is new, getting waitlisted at any school I would want to go to.

Well that's nice to know.....so basically it's out of our control I guess, and the crapshoot keeps going....good luck to all the WL people :luck: :luck: :luck:

I'm so sick of all this :mad:

Crazyvladif or anyone accepted to Dartmouth-Do you guys know whether you're going? I'm not sure yet. I'm waitlisted at several other schools, but I definitely love Dartmouth.

Those waitlisted at Dartmouth, I heard that their movement is pretty good from previous threads. Just hang tight. Good luck! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Rzarecta said:

I have heard similar things about the waitlist at Dartmouth (ie they try to replace ppl to fit in the class). Is it just me or does this remind anyone of filling roles in a play? It is almost as if the lead in the play gets sick so they call up the understudy. But from meeting the ppl currently attending this has worked in the past for creating a really close group of students.

As far as acceptances go, when I interviewed (Feb 22nd) they said that they only had 6 more interview days left so I figure next week should be the last of the interviews. At that point they could finish off who they want to accept right away. So end of March sounds about right for getting any news. I loved Dartmouth so I really hope I get some good news. Good luck to anyone else waiting. Has anyone made up their mind and plan on attending Dartmouth next year?

mdsadler said:
I have heard similar things about the waitlist at Dartmouth (ie they try to replace ppl to fit in the class). Is it just me or does this remind anyone of filling roles in a play? It is almost as if the lead in the play gets sick so they call up the understudy. But from meeting the ppl currently attending this has worked in the past for creating a really close group of students.

This is too funny! :laugh:

I wonder what role I will play if I'm placed on the waitlist. :confused:

Tra La La said:
This is too funny! :laugh:

I wonder what role I will play if I'm placed on the waitlist. :confused:

Me too!! I also wonder who the main player is too.

Members don't see this ad :)
mdsadler said:
Me too!! I also wonder who the main player is too.

I interviewed wayyy back in October and have heard nothing yet. I've honestly lost all interest in starring in this play. :laugh:

hey peeps. maybe i'll see some of you at DMS this fall. g'luck with everything! :luck:

superdevil said:
hey peeps. maybe i'll see some of you at DMS this fall. g'luck with everything! :luck:

Is Family Guy really coming back this year? I thought that is was 2006?

Off topic question? Yes. But very important.

BTW--Congrats on getting such a quick acceptance from DMS>>>They must've really liked you!

I think we interviewed on the same day. I remember that you drove in with your dad, and you had planned to drive all the way back to OH right afterwards? I was the dude who had to leave early cause I needed to go to PA. Right on, and cograts again.

Tra La La said:
Is Family Guy really coming back this year? I thought that is was 2006?

Off topic question? Yes. But very important.

BTW--Congrats on getting such a quick acceptance from DMS>>>They must've really liked you!

I think we interviewed on the same day. I remember that you drove in with your dad, and you had planned to drive all the way back to OH right afterwards? I was the dude who had to leave early cause I needed to go to PA. Right on, and cograts again.
thanks for the congrats, and damn--what a memory! (and the drive back to OH sucked) :laugh: :thumbup:

and yes, FG is back in 2 months!!! :horns: :hardy: :horns:

superdevil said:
thanks for the congrats, and damn--what a memory! (and the drive back to OH sucked) :laugh: :thumbup:

and yes, FG is back in 2 months!!! :horns: :hardy: :horns:

Thanks for the info on FG! That's awesome.

Yeah--our drive to PA sucked ass, too. About eight hours through pouring rains, dense fog, and night darkness--all on unfamiliar highways and several wrong turns.

G'luck deciding on where you'll be going next year.

TLL

Tristy said:
.....and the crapshoot keeps going....

Hehe . . . funny story of the day:

The last 2 minutes of one of my faculty interviews was spent discussing the other schools I had applied to, and the interview made some comment about how "this entire application process is a crapshoot." I didn't really take this as a good sign.

After the interview day was over, I talked to the interviewee who went in with this interviewer immeadiately after me. I guess they talked about the "crapshoot" issue for 25 out of the 30 minutes!!!

So take heart -- its been stated that the process is random

mdsadler said:

As far as acceptances go, when I interviewed (Feb 22nd) they said that they only had 6 more interview days left so I figure next week should be the last of the interviews. At that point they could finish off who they want to accept right away. So end of March sounds about right for getting any news. I loved Dartmouth so I really hope I get some good news. Good luck to anyone else waiting. Has anyone made up their mind and plan on attending Dartmouth next year?

I always thought it was more like the "Breakfast Club." You know, the Jock, the Princess, the Geek.

Anyway, good luck to everyone who's still waiting. I am aware of several people in my class who got in off the wait list (there might be more, but it's not exactly the top choice of conversation, you know?).

Cheers!

maygirl said:
Crazyvladif or anyone accepted to Dartmouth-Do you guys know whether you're going? I'm not sure yet. I'm waitlisted at several other schools, but I definitely love Dartmouth.

Those waitlisted at Dartmouth, I heard that their movement is pretty good from previous threads. Just hang tight. Good luck! :luck: :luck: :luck:

I hope to be there next year -- but its gonna be a tough call between them and Pitt. It also depends on aid packages. You there next year, Maygirl?

Aw man . . . just found out that DMS has access to some sort of Dartmouth ski hill?!?!? that's awesome -- practically seals the deal :D anybody know about this?

crazyvladif said:
I hope to be there next year -- but its gonna be a tough call between them and Pitt. It also depends on aid packages. You there next year, Maygirl?

Aw man . . . just found out that DMS has access to some sort of Dartmouth ski hill?!?!? that's awesome -- practically seals the deal :D anybody know about this?

I may be there next year, but I'm sort of undecided right now because I'm on several waitlists for schools that I also like. But I loved Dartmouth, and even if I get off the waitlists, it's gonna be a tough choice because I really loved that school when I visited it.

My interviewer told me that I should learn how to ski if I want to go here :laugh: That's something that you don't hear at every interview. I heard Dartmouth gives really good financial aid! But yes, I can totally see how Pitt would be hard to turn down.

speaking of financial aid packages, i know that dartmouth doesn't give any scholarships. As far as the ski hill, it's pretty small. I believe there are only 1-2 chairlifts. For any other west coasters thinking of attending Dartmouth, the skiing doesn't quite compare to Mammouth, Whistler, etc.. Regardess, i hope i hear back from them soon!

I'll add a few things....

We don't get merit scholarships, but we do get need based scholarships, and they're pretty generous with those

Skiing is definitely big here in the Winter. I'd say about 1/3 of the class has a season pass to one mountain or another. Not too many go to the Dartmouth Skiway since you can get better deals at other mountains. My roommates (who had no previous snowboarding experience) and I have the all-east pass which covers:

http://www.killington.com/
http://www.sundayriver.com/
http://www.mountsnow.com/
http://www.sugarloaf.com/
http://www.attitash.com/

You can buy that pass for as little as $200 (no Saturdays) or $370 (unrestricted). Killington is the closest (under an hr), and the place we go to most often after class (we get out by noon a lot). The other Mts are great for weekend trips. The snow is not as good as out west, but it's pretty good right after big snow falls which is when we like to go. It's also much better during the week since it gets crowded on the weekends.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask here or PM me

Tristy said:
I interviewed late january and I got a waitlist letter today. What else can I say....this suxs :(

Hey Tristy,

Sorry to hear that. :( We interviewed on the same day, so I was expecting to get my letter soon... but nothing yet.

I am not expecting good news anyway, because my interview didn't go great. But, still, I would rather know where I stand. Anyway, gluck!

hey DMBUGA--

i have some concerns about the cohesiveness of the class . . . ive heard a lot of students are married, or just do their own thing, and coming from a (relatively) big city, large-class midwest school, this could be a bit of a shocker for me. you see this as an issue?

KiKat37 said:
I am not expecting good news anyway, because my interview didn't go great. But, still, I would rather know where I stand. Anyway, gluck!

and don't fret about this too much -- i thought i bombed the interview too, and things still worked out for the best ;)

GOOD LUCK~

DMBUGA43,

How much money do people get on average for need based scholarship? 10K?

Also, when I interviewed there, Dartmouth seems so rural. So beside the outdoor such as skiing and hiking. What club or activities do people do for fun?

My other concerns was with the facility. Dartmouth facility is old, compared to other institutions (Duke, Wisconsin, Harvard, UCSF, Penn) I visited, it is subpar. So how does this affect you?

hey DMBUGA--

i have some concerns about the cohesiveness of the class . . . ive heard a lot of students are married, or just do their own thing, and coming from a (relatively) big city, large-class midwest school, this could be a bit of a shocker for me. you see this as an issue?

There is only 1 person married in my class right now (and she's leading a group of us to her home country of Brazil to do some research and help out in a rural clinic) but around 6 more are getting married in the Summer. We know everyone's boyfriends/girlfriends and treat them just like if they were one of us at parties. My class is incredibly close, and we do tons of things together . . . I can't speak for the 07's though. There are also a lot of people from my class that come from the midwest since the weather doesn't scare them (particularly Wisconsin and Minnesota, I'm getting a bit tired of hearing about the gophers) and a decent amount (about 1/4) who went to large schools. Most do seem to come from smaller private schools, but that doesn't seem to matter as far as class cohesiveness. Class cohesiveness has been about the best thing about med school for me. If you come for second look, make sure you look at our class albums.

Overall I have no complaints about my class, I feel comfortable talking to everyone. Also, even though some of us are fairly hard core, I can't point out any gunners. Admissions did a great job with us. No one can really tell what your class will be like (but that's the same for every school), but I can safely say that you'll spend more time bonding with classmates here than say, if you went to a big city school. I'm from a big school myself, and I'm lovin it here

How much money do people get on average for need based scholarship? 10K?

Also, when I interviewed there, Dartmouth seems so rural. So beside the outdoor such as skiing and hiking. What club or activities do people do for fun?

My other concerns was with the facility. Dartmouth facility is old, compared to other institutions (Duke, Wisconsin, Harvard, UCSF, Penn) I visited, it is subpar. So how does this affect you?

Money varies, it depends on your parent's expected contribution and how much money is available by the time they get to your file, so turn all the fin aid papers in as soon as possible

Clubbing is limited. There's a club in West Leb that I haven't been to yet, and it's not the most popular spot. The strip club burnt down, but no one really went there anyways (at least, not that I know of). There are a few places to go out in Hanover, and the Canoe Club is were we go to the most (some of my classmates practically live there). To go clubbin, people usually go to Boston or Montreal on long weekends. We have big post-quiz parties on Mondays and non-quiz weekend parties though (many themed), and that's what we prefer doing (there are also trivia nights, poker nights, Red Sox nights, etc...) The biggest downside is that it's hard to meet single women outside of your class (girls always have Tuck).

The med school facilities are not the greatest, but you only need to spend time in the lecture rooms, which aren't bad. DHMC is the newest academic hospital in the US, and it doubles as a second campus for us (3rd and 4th years do all their things there). Some people in our class prefer to study there (2nd library, great conference rooms at the cancer center, 2nd student lounge), so it's really up to you. Most people do prefer to stick around the main campus after lecture and socialize before doing whatever it is they're doing that day. Also, all of the undergrad facilities are available to us (I prefer to study at their main library).

i got in yesterday! my first acceptance.

Congrats rme04!! :clap: :clap: You're gonna be a doctor!!! :thumbup:

Now, where the **** is my letter???!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

No school has gotten back to me post-interview yet. And, it seems like Dartmouth is sending out a lot of decisions this week. I wanna know, too!! God, this is pathetic... I'm tired of running to the mail box everyday! At the same time, I don't wanna get bad news, so maybe it's better not to know... :scared: Geez, I'm becoming neurotic. C'mon, put me out of my misery!!! <end of complaints>

congrats to rme04!!! :thumbup:

and ultra-thanks to DMBUGA34 for shedding some light on the mystery that is the great rural north!

as i predicted when i applied to DMS, my greatest hurdle in going there would be finding a place to live. dartmouth has nice student housing, but i will be living with my fiance (who has been accepted to dartmouth's MPH program!), so i don't qualify. looking up apartments on the internet yields like 1 or 2 places. :scared: my fiance and i are going to revisit sometime next month to check it out, though. hopefully we'll find a nice, affordable place that's close to DMS!!! (sd is probably just dreaming, though) :D :luck:

superdevil said:
congrats to rme04!!! :thumbup:

and ultra-thanks to DMBUGA34 for shedding some light on the mystery that is the great rural north!

as i predicted when i applied to DMS, my greatest hurdle in going there would be finding a place to live. dartmouth has nice student housing, but i will be living with my fiance (who has been accepted to dartmouth's MPH program!), so i don't qualify. looking up apartments on the internet yields like 1 or 2 places. :scared: my fiance and i are going to revisit sometime next month to check it out, though. hopefully we'll find a nice, affordable place that's close to DMS!!! (sd is probably just dreaming, though) :D :luck:

Housing can be tough, but there are always places opening up throughout the Summer. Here's where you can get a head start:

http://www.dartmouthre.com/uvrl_vl.php

And for student housing (it's for CECS too):

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~gradstdy/students/northpark.html

Anyone know what % of the peopole get pulled off the waitlist?

If I remember correctly, they said pretty much almost 50% of the people they interview get offered a spot for admission eventually, so I would say you have a fairly good chance. I, personally, just interviewed about 2 weeks ago and my stupid self forgot about program designation so I just mailed that out yesterday. What a great way to delay my decision, grrness!

rme04 -- well done! not too shabby for the first acceptance, eh? ;)

superdevil -- sounds like your leaning toward DMS at this point?

. . . AND 1000 karma points to everyone waiting to hear back (and DMBUGA for being the only source of answers) . . .

Regarding waitlists, I don't know much about them but every year they're different. I was told that it didn't move as much last year as it did 2 years ago . . . but that says nothing about this year's possible movement.

What I do know is that those who are still waiting are in good shape. No news is good news, well, not as good as an acceptance but it does mean that your file has been reviewed again, post-interview, and they're still interested. For the most part, those who get a quick response are more likely to be rejected, the rest wait.

KiKat37 said:
Hey Tristy,

Sorry to hear that. :( We interviewed on the same day, so I was expecting to get my letter soon... but nothing yet.

Hi!

I'm sure you will be receiving your letter pretty soon (Since we interviewed on the same day). It sucks to be on the waitlist but I guess it could be worse, at least I can hang in to some hope....Got waitlisted at Pitt too so things don't look too good for me. Gotta wait on my state school and see what happens. Best of luck for you and don't loose hope!!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

I interviewed at DMS such a long time ago- sent in a bunch of updates (it's my top choice) and when I got letter from them in the mail yesterday I was really excited- until I opened it and read that they're still reviewing my file, please be patient, you might hear from us in mid-May yada yada yada.

Anyone else get this?

This waiting thing is a killer

I don't know if this has been said before or not but the acceptance envelope is very small and looks strikingly similar to a rejection or waitlist letter on the outside. So, don't let your heart sink if you see a thin DMS letter in your mailbox. I hope those still waiting hear good news soon. :luck:

Tristy said:
Hi!

I'm sure you will be receiving your letter pretty soon (Since we interviewed on the same day). It sucks to be on the waitlist but I guess it could be worse, at least I can hang in to some hope....Got waitlisted at Pitt too so things don't look too good for me. Gotta wait on my state school and see what happens. Best of luck for you and don't loose hope!!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Hey Tristy,

Thanks for the support and sorry to hear about Pitt. But, yes, being waitlisted is much better than being rejected. A lot of ppl will get pulled off of the waitlist in May... when ppl with multiple acceptances withdraw their apps. Don't lose up, it's not over yet! And, best of luck with your state school. :luck: I can't wait to get off from work and run to my mail box to find... NOTHING. :eek: Anyway. Keep me updated!

KiKat37 said:
Hey Tristy,

Thanks for the support and sorry to hear about Pitt. But, yes, being waitlisted is much better than being rejected. A lot of ppl will get pulled off of the waitlist in May... when ppl with multiple acceptances withdraw their apps. Don't lose up, it's not over yet! And, best of luck with your state school. :luck: I can't wait to get off from work and run to my mail box to find... NOTHING. :eek: Anyway. Keep me updated!

Good luck -- hope you hear good news!

and tristy -- both pitt and dartmouth have awesome waitlist movements -- last year pitt's overall acceptance was close to 60%, and dartmouth has something like 30-50% depending on the year.

Also, anybody planning on heading out for second look weekend? not sure yet, because its right before finals week. plus, due to my nonexistant cash flow, the trip might have to be wisconsin to new hampshire by car. BAD IDEA. trust me . . . already did it once. :scared:

crazyvladif said:
superdevil -- sounds like your leaning toward DMS at this point?
hmm. sorry i never replied, guess i missed this.

well, i'd certainly like to go to DMS, but i don't know if things are going to work out. the hospital and surrounding area are beautiful, the people have been uber-friendly, the matchlist is great, and i'd be lying if i said i wasn't drawn in by the ivy league 'mystique'. however, tuition is in keeping with other private schools (read: expensive), there's a strange "in space, no one can hear you scream" isolation aspect of hanover, the med school's actual on-campus facilities are utterly average, and its a 13 hour drive from my family--with whom i am very close.

if DMS ponies up some kick-ass financial aid, i still may end up there, though. its pretty much completely up in the air at this point.

sd

crazyvladif said:
Also, anybody planning on heading out for second look weekend? not sure yet, because its right before finals week. plus, due to my nonexistant cash flow, the trip might have to be wisconsin to new hampshire by car. BAD IDEA. trust me . . . already did it once. :scared:
are you talking about the thing on ~may 5 or so? i would definitely be interested in that, should i decide to attend DMS. sounds like a lot of fun.

oh, and i feel for ya on the car ride--i drove 13 hours from ohio to my interview. ;)

There are a lot of people in this year's class that came from the waitlist so don't get discouraged, there is still hope. And for those of you already accepted DMS is a great place to be and learn medicine. I highly recommend it.

As DMBUGA34 said our class is really cohesive and everyone gets along with everyone else so there is some method to the madness in how the admission committee picks people from the waitlist.

Good Luck to those of you still waiting.

superdevil said:
hmm. sorry i never replied, guess i missed this.

well, i'd certainly like to go to DMS, but i don't know if things are going to work out. the hospital and surrounding area are beautiful, the people have been uber-friendly, the matchlist is great, and i'd be lying if i said i wasn't drawn in by the ivy league 'mystique'. however, tuition is in keeping with other private schools (read: expensive), there's a strange "in space, no one can hear you scream" isolation aspect of hanover, the med school's actual on-campus facilities are utterly average, and its a 13 hour drive from my family--with whom i am very close.

if DMS ponies up some kick-ass financial aid, i still may end up there, though. its pretty much completely up in the air at this point.

sd

Hey superdevil, I agreed with you. The on campus facilities are the worst of all the medical schools I interviewed at. They are old and gloomy. No video taping of lecture? Come on, catch up with technology. Using microscope in histology? Come on, there are slides on computer that you can use to learn from.

Their computer lab is also utterly poor. With a few computer here and there.

Other than that, I liked the school.

xadmin said:
Hey superdevil, I agreed with you. The on campus facilities are the worst of all the medical schools I interviewed at. They are old and gloomy. No video taping of lecture? Come on, catch up with technology. Using microscope in histology? Come on, there are slides on computer that you can use to learn from.

Their computer lab is also utterly poor. With a few computer here and there.

Other than that, I liked the school.

Couple of things though......

All of our histology labs are online too, we have campus wide wireless internet so we all bring our computers to lab and use the online slides to help us find the structures on the microscope. You don't need to use the microscope if you don't want to, but you'll have to for the lab practical. What's wrong with using a microscope anyways? It's a nice break from lecture.

Also, we have few computers in our computer lab because we all have laptops which we carry around everywhere. It's not even a computer lab, it's just part of the lounge

Facilities are older, yes, but comfortable. We also have brand new everything at the hospital. And no, we don't videotape lectures, but all the lecture slides are online, as are notes that we can use to follow those lectures. Besides, the biggest reason to skip is because the lecturer sucks, why would I want a video of that?

DMBUGA34,

Since you're already a student at DMS, do you know how often the adcoms meet?

Sorry guys for being neurotic, but I'm a re-applicant and I haven't heard back from any school post-interview yet. And, since it's already mid-March, I'm starting to freak out... :scared:

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

KiKat37 said:
DMBUGA34,

Since you're already a student at DMS, do you know how often the adcoms meet?

Sorry guys for being neurotic, but I'm a re-applicant and I haven't heard back from any school post-interview yet. And, since it's already mid-March, I'm starting to freak out... :scared:

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

I can answer that for you. They meet every other thursday most of the time but around march they pick it up and meet once a week so the decissions will start coming faster now. Just be patient and it will work out. I didn't find out that I was accepted till mid april so don't get discouraged if you don't hear something soon.

TheRussian: Thanks for the info! :)