Dartmouth Anyone??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PookieGirl said:
DMBUGA34, how do you know all this? Do you work in the admissions office?

Nope, not in the admissions office. What I didn't know from going through all of this last year, I learned from talking to a couple of the admissions people this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey DMBUG, thanks for providing some insight to those of us still waiting.

So, I hear that last year was the first year DMS had a laptop requirement. Does the school give entering students an idea of what to buy, or are people pretty much on their own? Also, can you shed some light on the extent of DMS's web-based resources (i.e., what components of the curriculum are web-based, etc..) These are things that you don't really hear about on interview day, but may influence life as a student.

Anything else you think is important/interesting to know about?

starfruit said:

So, I hear that last year was the first year DMS had a laptop requirement. Does the school give entering students an idea of what to buy, or are people pretty much on their own? Also, can you shed some light on the extent of DMS's web-based resources (i.e., what components of the curriculum are web-based, etc..) These are things that you don't really hear about on interview day, but may influence life as a student.

Sometime early in June you'll receive a binder filled with all the info you need before arriving in August. Last year the school offered Dells, Apples, and IBMs. This year, they're thinking about only offering IBMs because the Dells have had a lot of problems. They'll offer a 2.5K computer for around 1.8K (they might have some cheaper ones too but I don't remember). If you want to buy one on your own or bring one that you already have, then that's ok too, just make sure that it has wireless internet.

Overall we're pretty computer dependent. All powerpoint slides are posted online either the night before or the morning of the lectures. Notes that go along with the powerpoints are posted online, as are notes for conferences and small groups, videos, practice quizzes, supplemental info etc... Histology and path labs are also online. Just about everyone brings their laptops to class and most of us take notes directly onto the powerpoints; however others like to write their notes out and just follow the presentation on their own computer so that they can go at whatever pace they want to.

You'll definitely want to have a computer, it'll make life much easier. During class you're also likely to get around 20 blitzes (like e-mails) from people who are planning activities, planning parties, looking for others who want to play bball or squash or soccer after class, administrators letting you know of upcoming events, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
starfruit said:

I actually got a letter a few weeks ago from Dartmouth about the computer requirement. I'll try to summarize what it says:

It says that it should have an Ethernet port, a web browser, can accommodate an 802.11b/g-compliant wireless card or has it built in, has or can accommodate a modem, has at least 20 GB hard drive, and at least 512 RAM. Students can buy their own computers or purchase discounted models over the summer that's availble when you arrive there in August. (they'll be pre-configured with MS-Office and Dartmouth software). They'll also have backup software that backs up your data (except music files) to a central network storage device each weekday while you're on campus. Students who also purchase the DMS laptops will have access to loaner-laptops that can be used if your laptop malfunctions. (which sounds pretty cool).

They haven't taken an official position on what the operating system sould be (they support both Apple Mac OS and Windows). But in third and fourth year, students will probably want to access the Clinical Information System at the Medical Center to obtain lab and other info about their patients, which only supports Windows (but can be obtained w/Mac using Virtual PC, though the program sometimes is problematic and also, the Medical Center has tons of desktops if you don't have the Windows OS).

Oh yeah, just a note, they're encouraging students to have access to a wireless-enabled PDA - but truthfully, I think this is for clerkships. It's not a requirement yet, so i would just wait til it becomes a requirement or until third year.

I don't remember from interview day if the Dean participates in the admissions process or not, and am wondering if Andy Welch is the best person to show my interest. I've already sent him one LOI but is it worthwhile to write to the dean as well?

PookieGirl said:
I don't remember from interview day if the Dean participates in the admissions process or not, and am wondering if Andy Welch is the best person to show my interest. I've already sent him one LOI but is it worthwhile to write to the dean as well?

Just looked at my acceptance letter, and its signed by Harold M. Friedman, Emeritus Associate Professor of Medicine, and Chair of the Admissions Committee . . . consider him?

crazyvladif said:
Just looked at my acceptance letter, and its signed by Harold M. Friedman, Emeritus Associate Professor of Medicine, and Chair of the Admissions Committee . . . consider him?

I've never heard of him or met him, so I don't know if I should contact him. What do you think? I feel like the wrong move here could do more harm than good. I definitely don't want to be seen as someone calling whoever I can to put my two cents in. I saw someone else write this earlier but I am finding it hard to write and call to people to let them know my interest. As if I'm begging to be let in. I'm not-- my letters have been professional. But it is humbling that I could be accepted at a top school and now am crawling on my hands and knees to Dartmouth. I think that one reason I have not yet heard is because my interview day did not go as well as I would have liked. I wish I could redo that interview day. It didn't go horribly but definitely not a strong performance on my part. And because truth be told, not a whole lot is new workwise or volunteer wise, I don't know what "new" stuff I can tell people at Dartmouth. I just really like the school and know it would be right for me. But influential people at Dartmouth aren't going to want to hear that.

I think the fact that so many of us have not heard yet is more a factor of the particular review process at Dartmouth, and a less a product of the strength of our interviews. Although it's hard to sit and await the final result, if you have already sent an LOI I would sit back for now. Since tonight is apparently the final committee meeting, we all should be hearing soon. However, if sending another letter would alleviate your anxiety, and make you feel as if you've given it 110%, that's definitely understandable. Good luck, pookiegirl.

PookieGirl said:

Andy Welch is a huge part of the admissions process. Not as much for regular admissions because he only has one vote, just like everyone else. But when they pick people from the waitlist Andy and Hal Friedman have a meeting behind closed doors, just the two of them and decide who gets of the waitlist. So I would say you should contact Andy Welsch with your LOI.

I'm not sure what Dean you are reffering to. If you are reffering to the dean of the med school then no, he has no role in admissions. If you are talking about the dean of admissions, then that's Andy.

starfruit said:
I think the fact that so many of us have not heard yet is more a factor of the particular review process at Dartmouth, and a less a product of the strength of our interviews. Although it's hard to sit and await the final result, if you have already sent an LOI I would sit back for now. Since tonight is apparently the final committee meeting, we all should be hearing soon. However, if sending another letter would alleviate your anxiety, and make you feel as if you've given it 110%, that's definitely understandable. Good luck, pookiegirl.

Thanks. I called today after my boss suggested that that may be a more personal method of contacting Andy Welch. He also has tried contacting them, although he isn't sure it will do any good. So I talked to the receptionist. She confirmed that my letter was read and told me that Mr. Welch is reading files as we speak. I told her that I know decisions can't be given out over the phone but if there is any way someone could call and let me know how strong a candidate I am, then I would like to speak with someone. She said someone would call me today or tomorrow. Eeek. I'm nervous. Keep your fingers crossed!

Hi Pookiegirl,

My interview didn't go too well either. It was my first and I guess I was too nervous. Plus, I interviewed with the chair of the committee (Harold Friedman). Def. not a good impression... My luck. :(

I totally understand what you said about not wanting to get on your knees and crawl. I feel the same way. I really did like the school and I tried to show my interest over the past few months. I sent them several update letters and letters of interest, transcripts, etc. At this point, I feel like I have tried as hard as I could and I won't do anything else. I mean, if they didn't like me, they just didn't like me... We'll find out soon anyway. Gluck! :luck:

If I was single, I honestly wouldn't be as anxious about this. But my boyfriend has gotten into a Boston school, and the thought of being in a long distance relationship for 4 years bothers me. The next few years will have major highs and major lows, and I can't think of anyone I'd rather experience those things with.

I withdrew from UMass, because nothing felt right about it for me, but that would have allowed me to be close to my boyfriend. I feel strongly that I would do well at Dartmouth or my other top choice, but because of Dartmouth's size and location, Dartmouth is a really good fit.

Anyway, I feel too that I've done all that I can do right now. As my tour guide at Dartmouth said "Wherever you end up, it will be exactly where you are supposed to be." :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
PookieGirl said:
I've never heard of him or met him, so I don't know if I should contact him. What do you think? I feel like the wrong move here could do more harm than good. I definitely don't want to be seen as someone calling whoever I can to put my two cents in. I saw someone else write this earlier but I am finding it hard to write and call to people to let them know my interest. As if I'm begging to be let in. I'm not-- my letters have been professional. But it is humbling that I could be accepted at a top school and now am crawling on my hands and knees to Dartmouth. I think that one reason I have not yet heard is because my interview day did not go as well as I would have liked. I wish I could redo that interview day. It didn't go horribly but definitely not a strong performance on my part. And because truth be told, not a whole lot is new workwise or volunteer wise, I don't know what "new" stuff I can tell people at Dartmouth. I just really like the school and know it would be right for me. But influential people at Dartmouth aren't going to want to hear that.

Pookiegirl,

there are many schools out there that are just as good as Dartmouth, if not better. I don't feel you should crawl down in your knees to get an acceptance. Regarding the facilities, they are so old and small, except the hospital. So what exactly that Dartmouth has that speaks to you? Class size?

xadmin said:
Pookiegirl,

there are many schools out there that are just as good as Dartmouth, if not better. I don't feel you should crawl down in your knees to get an acceptance. Regarding the facilities, they are so old and small, except the hospital. So what exactly that Dartmouth has that speaks to you? Class size?

People are too swayed by facilities. To me, it doesn't matter if the lecture room isn't brand spanking new, or the halls aren't covered in marble.

Dartmouth has excellent teachers that know what they've taught students, and are approachable by students. The students there struck me as intelligent and caring. The students match well -- 6/8 of its students placed in top 10 internal medicine residencies last year. This is a much better rate than at the top 15 school I'm considering. Financial aid is good--grants are given out as opposed to just loans.

Dartmouth may not be top rated for research but it is for primary care. I do like the smallness and that profs get to know their students. If you've read the previous posts, you'll see there are many personal reasons that make it a good school for me as well.

Did you yet your call-back yet, pookiegirl? It's interesting that they will do that for active applicants.

starfruit said:
Did you yet your call-back yet, pookiegirl? It's interesting that they will do that for active applicants.

Nope. It may not end up happening but we'll see.

PookieGirl said:
People are too swayed by facilities. To me, it doesn't matter if the lecture room isn't brand spanking new, or the halls aren't covered in marble.

Dartmouth has excellent teachers that know what they've taught students, and are approachable by students. The students there struck me as intelligent and caring. The students match well -- 6/8 of its students placed in top 10 internal medicine residencies last year. This is a much better rate than at the top 15 school I'm considering. Financial aid is good--grants are given out as opposed to just loans.

Dartmouth may not be top rated for research but it is for primary care. I do like the smallness and that profs get to know their students. If you've read the previous posts, you'll see there are many personal reasons that make it a good school for me as well.

Pookiegirl, what private school that you got accepted into that give you mostly loan? I just want to know this to compare it to Dartmouth since all the private school I applied to all give grants.

Anyway, goodluck on your acceptance, you might see me going there comes Fall, but we will have to wait for their financial aid package first.

xadmin said:
Pookiegirl, what private school that you got accepted into that give you mostly loan? I just want to know this to compare it to Dartmouth since all the private school I applied to all give grants.

Anyway, goodluck on your acceptance, you might see me going there comes Fall, but we will have to wait for their financial aid package first.

As an example Tufts has absolutely no money and so if you go there you'll be expected to get about 60K of loans a year if you don't have financial support from family. Keep in mind that that is above the federal limit that you can borrow per year and so you'll have to have private loans. Other than that I'm guessing that private schools not affiliated with an undergraduate school or that otherwise don't have a large endowment would lack the money to give need based grants and will mostly offer loans.

TheRussian said:
As an example Tufts has absolutely no money and so if you go there you'll be expected to get about 60K of loans a year if you don't have financial support from family. Keep in mind that that is above the federal limit that you can borrow per year and so you'll have to have private loans. Other than that I'm guessing that private schools not affiliated with an undergraduate school or that otherwise don't have a large endowment would lack the money to give need based grants and will mostly offer loans.

Interesting, I didn't know this. Any other schools TheRussian?

xadmin said:
Interesting, I didn't know this. Any other schools TheRussian?

I don't know specifically about other schools, DMS is the only school I actually got a financial aid package from (I didn't complete it for the other schools). I only know about Tufts from a friend that goes there.

Perhaps you can search for a thread on this or start one if you are really interested.

BUMP

Any more news? I'm getting antsy.

Me too, starfruit. I hope they let us know this week - whatever the decision may be. :luck:

WOW -- just got my aid package today, and no love. none. not even institutional loans. as this would force me to take out ~10 g's/year in private loans, i'm tossing my spot up in the air for y'all --

good luck, and i'm sure we'll all end up where we oughta be --

crazyvladif said:
WOW -- just got my aid package today, and no love. none. not even institutional loans. as this would force me to take out ~10 g's/year in private loans, i'm tossing my spot up in the air for y'all --

Crazyvladif, you mean they did not give you any school money or Dartmouth loan? That got to hurt.

Also, did you work before applying to medical school? Or else I figured your parents must have owned a lot of net worth or have a high salary.

I am still waiting for my loan package. I figured if I get no love from Dartmouth, UWisconsin-Madison here I come.

So are you set on Madison crazyvladif?

crazyvladif said:

ouch, sorry. i just visited the finacial aid office there last week on my trip with my fiance. they said my file was in the 'active review' stage :scared:

superdevil said:
ouch, sorry. i just visited the finacial aid office there last week on my trip with my fiance. they said my file was in the 'active review' stage :scared:

So superdevil, how do you like Dartmouth now that you revisit the campus and the area? Any change thoughts?

xadmin said:
So superdevil, how do you like Dartmouth now that you revisit the campus and the area? Any change thoughts?
i'll start by doing a quick copy-and-paste of what i wrote in another thread:

3) there are too few decent living options around dartmouth. apartments in and around hanover are either buildings that would be condemned where i live or $1050/mo and higher. dartmouth's grad apartments are the housing equivalent of eating 12 chili cheese burritos at taco bell and then participating in a hula-hoop marathon. dartmouth is also a solid 13-hour drive from home. :thumbdown:

4) dartmouth is a great school and the hospital is my personal favorite (along with barnes-jewish) of any i've seen on the interview trail. :thumbup:

5) undergrads at dartmouth piss me off. they ALL look like the same backwards-hat, sandal-wearing goofs in abercrombie catalogues who will gladly and unknowingly ram into you on the sidewalk while giving their ultra-preppy friends incredibily obnoxious surfer-dude high-fives. :thumbdown:

seriously, i got another tour with andy welch, talked to the financial aid people, and went in every building on campus that you don't need a keycard to enter. the people are uber-nice. its a wonderful place to learn. but its pretty far removed from the rest of the world, and after 3 solid days of apartment-hunting, i was quite displeased with the selection (everything that is nice/close to campus/DHMC is $$$$$$, and everything else is spread out all over hell and hard to find.

overall i like dartmouth, but if they stiff me in financial aid, i'm going to case.

Easy solution - don't live in Hanover.

In lebanon about a half mile from the hospital are several apartment complexes many students live in, ranging from $700 (2BR) up. I've moved several times around lebanon while here and never paid more thant $700 for a 2 bedroom place. Undergrads and other college people price hanover out of range, and so most med students don't live there. Besides, it's better to be closer to the hospital for call or god awful rotations like sugery when you have to be in at 4:30 in the morning.

crazyvladif said:

Damn, sorry about that, goodluck wherever you go!

superdevil said:
i'll start by doing a quick copy-and-paste of what i wrote in another thread:

3) there are too few decent living options around dartmouth. apartments in and around hanover are either buildings that would be condemned where i live or $1050/mo and higher. dartmouth's grad apartments are the housing equivalent of eating 12 chili cheese burritos at taco bell and then participating in a hula-hoop marathon. dartmouth is also a solid 13-hour drive from home. :thumbdown:

4) dartmouth is a great school and the hospital is my personal favorite (along with barnes-jewish) of any i've seen on the interview trail. :thumbup:

5) undergrads at dartmouth piss me off. they ALL look like the same backwards-hat, sandal-wearing goofs in abercrombie catalogues who will gladly and unknowingly ram into you on the sidewalk while giving their ultra-preppy friends incredibily obnoxious surfer-dude high-fives. :thumbdown:

seriously, i got another tour with andy welch, talked to the financial aid people, and went in every building on campus that you don't need a keycard to enter. the people are uber-nice. its a wonderful place to learn. but its pretty far removed from the rest of the world, and after 3 solid days of apartment-hunting, i was quite displeased with the selection (everything that is nice/close to campus/DHMC is $$$$$$, and everything else is spread out all over hell and hard to find.

overall i like dartmouth, but if they stiff me in financial aid, i'm going to case.

You got a private tour with Andy? He used to look just like Dan Aykroyd before he let the beard grow out.

On a couple of things you said:

Undergrads are there, whether you interact with them or not is really up to you. We're off to the side so unless you want to study at their libraries you don't really have to deal with them. Most of the ones I've talked to aren't too bad though, I mean, they aren't as snobby as those at some of the other private schools around here.

Housing is tough, but it's not impossible. We're hunting for housing right now too and we've found some decent places for 700 - 850. The apartments at the end of Wolf Run (Stone something) are around 850/2 rooms and newly remodeled. Otherwise, you have to look at the online site and some of the companies (JR Realtors), and pounce on them the second they're posted. Overall housing is my biggest complain about this area (it's bad in all of New England).

I definitely wouldn't recommend living in Sachem (though the people there swear it's not too bad).

If you end up coming here, I suggest staying for a week (admissions might be able to find people for you to stay with) in order to find a place to live. There are some really nice places for cheap within 15 minutes. There are also nice places close by, but you have to look hard to find 'em, and plan on spending around $900/mo if it's for you and your g/f.

Hope you have better luck with Fin Aid!

Chowdah said:
Easy solution - don't live in Hanover.

In lebanon about a half mile from the hospital are several apartment complexes many students live in, ranging from $700 (2BR) up. I've moved several times around lebanon while here and never paid more thant $700 for a 2 bedroom place. Undergrads and other college people price hanover out of range, and so most med students don't live there. Besides, it's better to be closer to the hospital for call or god awful rotations like sugery when you have to be in at 4:30 in the morning.
we did look in lebanon (including apartments off of Old Etna Rd). still, you're overpaying for what you're getting in almost every instance. i must admit, though, that we didn't get to actually check out more than 3 or 4 models because, unlike every other place i've ever been to, apartment complexes in hanover/lebanon/west lebanon never seem to have on-site management--so often there was no one to talk to and nothing to look at. lame.

i'm no real estate expert, and i'm not an expert regarding the hanover/lebanon/white river junction/enfield/heartland/thetford/etc area, but i was certainly not impressed with the options i saw on my visit, short as it was.

DMBUGA34 said:
Damn, sorry about that, goodluck wherever you go!

You got a private tour with Andy? He used to look just like Dan Aykroyd before he let the beard grow out.

On a couple of things you said:

Undergrads are there, whether you interact with them or not is really up to you. We're off to the side so unless you want to study at their libraries you don't really have to deal with them. Most of the ones I've talked to aren't too bad though, I mean, they aren't as snobby as those at some of the other private schools around here.

Housing is tough, but it's not impossible. We're hunting for housing right now too and we've found some decent places for 700 - 850. The apartments at the end of Wolf Run (Stone something) are around 850/2 rooms and newly remodeled. Otherwise, you have to look at the online site and some of the companies (JR Realtors), and pounce on them the second they're posted. Overall housing is my biggest complain about this area (it's bad in all of New England).

I definitely wouldn't recommend living in Sachem (though the people there swear it's not too bad).

If you end up coming here, I suggest staying for a week (admissions might be able to find people for you to stay with) in order to find a place to live. There are some really nice places for cheap within 15 minutes. There are also nice places close by, but you have to look hard to find 'em, and plan on spending around $900/mo if it's for you and your g/f.

Hope you have better luck with Fin Aid!
i about lost it when i saw andy with the beard! totally unexpected.

thanks, as always, for your input. i know i don't really have to "interact" with the undergrads, but if you want to do anything downtown (which, tragically, is where everything is) they're hard to avoid. :D

oh, FYI, its "Stone Farm". ;) the apartments that are 850/mo have no washer/dryer hookups, and are kinda small. the newer ones on the other side of the development are $1075/mo, but have a washer/dryer in the unit.

they actually had someone to talk to. i'm telling ya, we looked all over...

crazyvladif said:

Have you called the financial aid office about your fin aid packet?

When I got my fin aid package it only covered tuition. For whatever reason they don't like to anticipate your living expenses. In the first couple of weeks everyone here has a one on one meeting with a fin aid advisor and they tailor your budget to what you expect your own expenses to be. Based on that they will give you more loans, either DMS, or federal stafford loans. I even got a Perkins loan for part of it. So if you are still really interested in Dartmouth, you should contact them to find out if that will be the case for you. Like I said before, the fin aid office is really good here and they will most likely give you all the federal loan money that you need.

As for housing, there is housing to be had at reasonable prices. Consider the fact that a lot of leases probably start/end in august or september and the people that live there might not have decided whether or not they will renew their leases. More places will probably open up as it gets closer to summer.

superdevil said:
i about lost it when i saw andy with the beard! totally unexpected.

thanks, as always, for your input. i know i don't really have to "interact" with the undergrads, but if you want to do anything downtown (which, tragically, is where everything is) they're hard to avoid. :D

oh, FYI, its "Stone Farm". ;) the apartments that are 850/mo have no washer/dryer hookups, and are kinda small. the newer ones on the other side of the development are $1075/mo, but have a washer/dryer in the unit.

they actually had someone to talk to. i'm telling ya, we looked all over...

Funny, StoneFarm is the only one we haven't been able to look at. Last time we went on the weekend there was no one there, and next week (when my fiancee is coming down to visit places), the lady is supposed to be out of town.

Undergrads really aren't that bad, they're just super excited right now that weather's nice.

One last thing that I wanted to add, even though housing is a little expensive, overall living expenses aren't that bad. My roommate's budget is 43K (including 33K tuition).

DMBUGA34 said:
Undergrads really aren't that bad, they're just super excited right now that weather's nice.

One last thing that I wanted to add, even though housing is a little expensive, overall living expenses aren't that bad. My roommate's budget is 43K (including 33K tuition).
one thing i couldn't believe walking around the green (or whatever the courtyard in the middle of campus is called) is that it was about 60 degrees out--and all the lovely females were wearing short skirts, tank tops, etc. i just thought to myself "damn, if they think this is warm....."

and i'm definitely impressed that your roommate is living on 10k/yr :eek: that's some serious budgeting.

TheRussian said:
For whatever reason they don't like to anticipate your living expenses. In the first couple of weeks everyone here has a one on one meeting with a fin aid advisor and they tailor your budget to what you expect your own expenses to be. Based on that they will give you more loans, either DMS, or federal stafford loans.
i don't know, that's a pretty lousy way for them to go about this. how the hell are students supposed to make an informed decision (incl. financial aid) as to what school they choose if DMS doesn't even send aid packets out until mid-april and those are incomplete? i don't know of any other schools that do this, and it just seems like it would be a colossal, unnecessary inconvenience to the students to have to go through a sort of "round 2" with the financial aid fiasco. :thumbdown:

superdevil said:
i don't know, that's a pretty lousy way for them to go about this. how the hell are students supposed to make an informed decision (incl. financial aid) as to what school they choose if DMS doesn't even send aid packets out until mid-april and those are incomplete? i don't know of any other schools that do this, and it just seems like it would be a colossal, unnecessary inconvenience to the students to have to go through a sort of "round 2" with the financial aid fiasco. :thumbdown:

The main thing is that you'll know how much grant money you get. Only if they have left over grant money will they give more to those who's budget increased as the year went on (and they don't do that until Nov). They only change your package if it's beneficial

They can cover the rest with loans, even if it's not on the award, but they don't want to give you too much in loans right off the bat, they want to make sure you only get the minimum you need. If your parents can't cover what they left off, just ask for more and they'll give

DMBUGA34 said:
The main thing is that you'll know how much grant money you get. Only if they have left over money will they give more to those who's budget increased as the year went on

They can cover the rest with loans, even if it's not on the award, but they don't want to give you too much in loans right off the bat, they want to make sure you only get the minimum you need. If your parents can't cover what they left off, just ask for more and they'll give
hmmm. well, if they do it, i suppose it works. i just prefer the orthodox method where a school shows you your loans up front, then you accept as much or as little as you want. being given the minimum like that and then facing the possibility of having to go back and ask for more makes me feel like a child asking mommy for a forward on my allowance. it just feels awkward to me, i guess.

how do you feel about their financial aid system?

superdevil said:
hmmm. well, if they do it, i suppose it works. i just prefer the orthodox method where a school shows you your loans up front, then you accept as much or as little as you want. being given the minimum like that and then facing the possibility of having to go back and ask for more makes me feel like a child asking mommy for a forward on my allowance. it just feels awkward to me, i guess.

how do you feel about their financial aid system?

Fin Aid changed my award 3 times, and each time it got better. I would've been borrowing more at my state school.

I think that another reason for why the initial award letter may not cover the full budget, besides trying to minimize loans, is that the left over amount is their calculated "parental contribution"

Here's the process: Your initial award letter reflects the generic budget, an estimation they came up with. During the beginning of the school year they'll have a meeting with you. During that meeting they'll personalize your budget, and at that point ask you if you'll need to take out more loans. You don't have to feel like you're begging them for money, they expect they'll have to give you more loans.

superdevil said:
and i'm definitely impressed that your roommate is living on 10k/yr :eek: that's some serious budgeting.

It helps when you don't have to pay for a car, car insurance, or gas. Also helps to still be covered under my parents for health insurance.

I actually really like the financial aid system here. I'm typically reluctant to take out more loans than necessary (and I prefer frugal not "cheap bastard" :smuggrin: ) so I really like their philosophy. One thing is that you need to have some spending cash when you first get here because it takes some time for the loans to disburse but I think that's probably the case with most schools.

Bottom line is this, they have a total budget. Subtract any grant money and scholarships that you got. The rest is the total that they will let you borrow. They won't let you go above the budget unless there some extenuating circumstances. If you are worried about not getting enough then I'll reasure you. If you want as much loan money as you can get then just go into the fin aid office when you get here and tell them you want to take the whole budget and you'll get it.

i just felt that now was an appropriate time to pause the thread and profusely thank TheRussian and DMBUGA34 for all their help in answering my endless questions. you guys rule :thumbup:

superdevil said:

i'd agree. while we're all used to uncertainty at this point, money is one thing i can't mess around with. and while i'm sure i could probably talk to them and get more loans, there's always that paranoia of a massive private loan interest rates. plus, at an estimated 45-50 g's a year in loans, thats 180-200 g's plus interest on my way out. thats rough.

contrast that to UWisc-Madison, the state school. at 37 g's a year estimated, and i could stretch it down to 32, thats ~128-148 on the way out. all of that can be taken out with the guarantee of avoiding private loan rates.

either way, i'll call tomorrow.

superdevil said:
i just felt that now was an appropriate time to pause the thread and profusely thank TheRussian and DMBUGA34 for all their help in answering my endless questions. you guys rule :thumbup:

yeah, of any of the school-specific threads, this one's far and away the best. my thanks.

xadmin said:
Crazyvladif, you mean they did not give you any school money or Dartmouth loan? That got to hurt.

Also, did you work before applying to medical school? Or else I figured your parents must have owned a lot of net worth or have a high salary.

I am still waiting for my loan package. I figured if I get no love from Dartmouth, UWisconsin-Madison here I come.

So are you set on Madison crazyvladif?

One other thing I should say -- my parents have a pretty high net worth, but most of it's in this retirement fund that can't be touched. Still, it was reported on the Need Access report. They've said they'd pitch in a couple of thousand, but nothing significant -- and at this point in the game, i wouldn't expect them to.

Also, I never worked out of undergrad -- In fact, I made an effort to graduate in three years so i wouldn't have to take a year off for work.

I hope they'll reconsider my loan eligibility, otherwise this isn't practical. As for where I'm headed, probably Madison, but I'm still waiting on Pitt's package, too. However, I'm freaking out about spending undergrad, med, then getting locked into a madison residency. That scares me.

crazyvladif said:
One other thing I should say -- my parents have a pretty high net worth, but most of it's in this retirement fund that can't be touched. Still, it was reported on the Need Access report. They've said they'd pitch in a couple of thousand, but nothing significant -- and at this point in the game, i wouldn't expect them to.

Also, I never worked out of undergrad -- In fact, I made an effort to graduate in three years so i wouldn't have to take a year off for work.

I hope they'll reconsider my loan eligibility, otherwise this isn't practical. As for where I'm headed, probably Madison, but I'm still waiting on Pitt's package, too. However, I'm freaking out about spending undergrad, med, then getting locked into a madison residency. That scares me.

Haha, I am from CA and I do want to stay in my home state or go back there for residency. But Wisconsin got some great resident programs. Also, how is housing in Madison? How much do people pay for their own room? $400?

Also, what are students' reaction to all four years of grading?

superdevil said:

i'm an undergrad at dartmouth currently and i don't think we're quite that bad. in fact, one of the main factors in my considering to stay here for another 4 years would be how awesome they can be, especially when it comes to doing things like running outdoors programs that are pretty open to the community. that's been a pretty important part of my life here and i'm pretty sure i (or anyone else into hiking and what not) could do that in a more rewarding fashion here than at bigger,more impersonal institutions.

i don't think i'd be up for hanging with frat row types anymore, but it wouldn't be a factor anyways as the only people you'd see near the med school would be maybe a few bio kids.

For the people who haven't heard anything from Dartmouth yet, should we assume that we're most likely going to end up on the waitlist?

biggreen05 said:
i don't think i'd be up for hanging with frat row types anymore, but it wouldn't be a factor anyways as the only people you'd see near the med school would be maybe a few bio kids.

The only other times you'll really interact with undergrads is during IM sports. Usually that's not a problem though since the med school teams have former varsity athletes and so the med school usually wins.

TheRussian said:
The only other times you'll really interact with undergrads is during IM sports. Usually that's not a problem though since the med school teams have former varsity athletes and so the med school usually wins.

Except for when we jump to a 19-0 lead at the half, get cocky, throw a couple of INTs that get returned for TDs, and not make it past the first round of the playoffs