Dating in Med School for AAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where have YOU been

oh you know ma...late nights at the office and stuff ;)

ooo and next wednesday I have a BIO 200, Microbio, and Biochem exam right in a row :laugh:

oh you know ma...late nights at the office and stuff ;)

ooo and next wednesday I have a BIO 200, Microbio, and Biochem exam right in a row :laugh:
yea yea thats what they all say :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Its nice to be able to post in SDN from the "other side" lol. Since starting medical school, my perspective on dating has really changed. I went to an HBCU, so I had a fairly large dating pool... I had fun, rarely went without a date or a dude that I was "talking" to, and naively I assumed the trend would continue post-grad.

Color me surprised. My romantic life dried up like a raisin in the middle of the desert. And I attend med school in a city with maaaaaaad black ppl (Obama comes from here, hint hint). Its not even about the numbers anymore, because I am not longer against dating outside my race, its just I have no time. In undergrad, there were handsome, intelligent, goal-oriented black men everywhere (and quite a few bootleg ignorant ones as well), and I know they didn't just disappear when I started med school... but time has become such a hot commodity as of late. I don't have time to really get out and meet a lot of new people.

So, me being me, I went ahead and did the unforgivable... I'm currently dating one of my classmates. That is a story in and of itself, and it could probably be another thread. We're actually keeping it a secret.... long story. But the black community at my school is pretty nosey and we don't like people up in our business, so as of right now... we're keeping it on the low.

Makes for a weird situation.

Its nice to be able to post in SDN from the "other side" lol. Since starting medical school, my perspective on dating has really changed. I went to an HBCU, so I had a fairly large dating pool... I had fun, rarely went without a date or a dude that I was "talking" to, and naively I assumed the trend would continue post-grad.

Color me surprised. My romantic life dried up like a raisin in the middle of the desert. And I attend med school in a city with maaaaaaad black ppl (Obama comes from here, hint hint). Its not even about the numbers anymore, because I am not longer against dating outside my race, its just I have no time. In undergrad, there were handsome, intelligent, goal-oriented black men everywhere (and quite a few bootleg ignorant ones as well), and I know they didn't just disappear when I started med school... but time has become such a hot commodity as of late. I don't have time to really get out and meet a lot of new people.

I'm going through the same thing. I went to an HBCU myself, and always had the opportunity to go out...WITH A DATE! At my med school (I'm goin to school in the MD/DC area), I'm one of 3 black men in my class and there are NO black females. Wnat makes things worse is not being able to get out as much as I like to meet ppl. It's weird, although I'm in MD, and Howard is so close, I hardly get have time to swing by.

Honestly, I'm not ashamed to set up a 'met' via SDN so I can meet some other black female med students in DC/MD. I'm not desprite, it would however, be great to be in the company of other med students who I can relate to AND who I can potentially date :laugh:

LOL I barely ever dated in Undergrad I didn't go to an HBCU. I have no problems dating outside my race its just that I'm too shy to seal the deal with girls I have plenty of female friends :(

Brigade4Radiant said:
LOL I barely ever dated in Undergrad I didn't go to an HBCU. I have no problems dating outside my race its just that I'm too shy to seal the deal with girls I have plenty of female friends :(

It's ironic how we can conversate with total strangers about their most vulnerable medical issues but at times we can't man up and seal the deal (myself included).

I'd say just take that risk Brigade4Radiant. The worst thing they can say is no. Plus there will always be another opportunity.

So, me being me, I went ahead and did the unforgivable... I'm currently dating one of my classmates. That is a story in and of itself, and it could probably be another thread. We're actually keeping it a secret.... long story. But the black community at my school is pretty nosey and we don't like people up in our business, so as of right now... we're keeping it on the low.

Makes for a weird situation.
I think that comes with the territory of attending a "majority-oriented" :)laugh: that's a good one) institution.

As an older Black Man (late 20's) it's so refreshing to see my people doing good. I can't wait to finish my pre reqs and get into a good med school. You guys are doing fine, don't sweat gettting married etc. handle your business, become a doc and you'll be fine. Don't mean to be in ya'lls biz, but when you're a minority everybody has something negative to say, just wanted to drop some positive lines on you. I would wish you good luck but ya'll don't need it.:thumbup:

It's ironic how we can conversate with total strangers.

Not to be a stickler, but the right terminology is converse and not "conversate" ;).

I agree with the above poster.

Women are the last thing on my mind right now (NO HOMO!!). In fact, I've had to shun from quite a few (but not all though :laugh: ) during undergrad.

I'm actually hoping not to meet anyone during Med School. Relationships are extremely encumbering and not good for business.

Not to be a stickler, but the right terminology is converse and not "conversate" ;).

Women are the last thing on my mind right now (NO HOMO!!). In fact, I've had to shun from quite a few (but not all though :laugh: ) during undergrad.

I'm actually hoping not to meet anyone during Med School. Relationships are extremely encumbering and not good for business.

:laugh: I like that.

I can definitely see your point, but what's wrong with a few Sat night dates?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can definitely see your point, but what's wrong with a few Sat night dates?

:laugh: Nothing at all, and it would be hypocritical of me to say there was. Is that Silver Spring Maryland or Silver Spring Colorado?

I think it depends on the kind of relationship. Probably a new relationship would be time consuming so I understand that, but if you are lucky you can have a great support system by having a relationship. Girls aren't all that bad, guys!

I am new here and I throughly enjoyed this post!

I commend the person who posed this question bc this has been on my mind for a long time and almost felt like I couldn't ask it.

BTW: DrKrispyKreme you crack me up!!!!!!!

I commend the person who posed this question bc this has been on my mind for a long time and almost felt like I couldn't ask it.

;)

I agree :thumbup:, I enjoy reading the posts, very entertaining

sure, I wouldn't object to sporadic nightly flings to alleviate some stress ;).

Nothing would boost the confidence of a med student more than to put all that anatomy and phy to AMAZING use....ESP a FLING...maybe even in the library lol. JK JK JK

Nothing would boost the confidence of a med student more than to put all that anatomy and phy to AMAZING use....ESP a FLING...maybe even in the library lol. JK JK JK

Yes, exactly! all those hours spent studying "anatomy and phy" will have to be put to good use, and what better place to review than in the library? :idea: We're on the same page DR. V.

As an older Black Man (late 20's) it's so refreshing to see my people doing good. I can't wait to finish my pre reqs and get into a good med school. You guys are doing fine, don't sweat gettting married etc. handle your business, become a doc and you'll be fine. Don't mean to be in ya'lls biz, but when you're a minority everybody has something negative to say, just wanted to drop some positive lines on you. I would wish you good luck but ya'll don't need it.:thumbup:

I appreciate your encouragement, however I feel as though as a male you may not have the same pressures as a female would have to settle down and start a family. There are a lot of birth defects that grow higher in risk as a women ages, also there is a higher risk of breast cancer in women who have not had at least one child before 30. The whole process of dating and finding the right person takes time, so maybe it is something that people should work on in medical school so that when they are ready to start a family they are in a better situation to do so.

There are a lot of birth defects that grow higher in risk as a women ages, also there is a higher risk of breast cancer in women who have not had at least one child before 30.

I think that this same caution should apply to men too, dont forget about the risk of autism that increases in men over 35. I believe there are more associations between congenital defects/diseases and increasing age for both men and women that have not been discovered yet.

I always tell men dont think that just because youre not a woman, doesnt mean your DNA wont get old too!

Typical of men..lol. interesting thread I must say!!

A quick update:

It has only been two months into school and I've already failed quite miserably at this. MISERABLY. I'm already snuggling it up. What can say? I'm a sucker for a cute face and big eyes :laugh:.

Last edited:
^Send us invitations to the wedding, Mr. Cupid Valentino. :love:

A quick update:

It has only been two months into school and I've already failed quite miserably at this. MISERABLY. I'm already snuggling it up. What can say? I'm a sucker for a cute face and big eyes :laugh:.

'm a sucker for a cute face and big eyes :).

Yes, I agree. That's why I pray Psalm 23 (The Lord is my sheperd I shall not want...) every morning. I want to always make sure that my hamstrings and gluts are in check. Cute face and big eyes are way too tempting. I promised wifey that I wouldn't eat sandwiches from any female, except her :)

'm a sucker for a cute face and big eyes :).

Yes, I agree. That's why I pray Psalm 23 (The Lord is my sheperd I shall not want...) every morning. I want to always make sure that my hamstrings and gluts are in check. Cute face and big eyes are way too tempting. I promised wifey that I wouldn't eat sandwiches from any female, except her :)

Haha, well you are indeed a smart man! It's been a while since I've visited the Pod forums, is ThethaChiNau still acting up? :laugh:

Last edited:
Haha, well you are indeed a smart man! It's been a while since I've visited the Pod forums, is ThethaChiNau still acting up? :laugh:

For fear of being castrated, he had to undergo a name change; too bad he didn't delete his posts, and so he was caught in the act. In the end, good ole "Theta" had to keep his name. Now there's a new version of "ThetaChiNau", with only about 20 posts to his credit. Poor Theta. :laugh:

For fear of being castrated, he had to undergo a name change; too bad he didn't delete his posts, and so he was caught in the act. In the end, good ole "Theta" had to keep his name. Now there's a new version of "ThetaChiNau", with only about 20 posts to his credit. Poor Theta. :laugh:

Yep, that sounds like "Theta" :laugh:.

A quick update:

THIS is why I don't take you guys seriously :laugh: one minute you're with your boys, hating on females and how we bring you down. The next minute you're like a puppy chasing those ladies around professing your love. Happens everyday people!

A quick update:

i'm looking to do that in medical school ASAP. i dont know why you tried to avoid it...everyone knows that good ole' TLC will cure those miserable days in class. :D

I will tell you what one of my professors told us during medical school orientation, "there never has been a rag that there wasn't a bush to hang it on and the bushes are all over you rags right now". There are loads of people who look to date, marry and otherwise get themselves involved with a medical student because they see potential huge income and lifestyle. I can only say, "Beware" because those relationships can get time and money expensive. You don't have much time and you have negative income so there goes the money.

I had a fiance during medical school and most of the time, I was just worn out from all of the stress and studying. Residency wasn't much better except that we could get away for a vacation now and then.

THIS is why I don't take you guys seriously one minute you're with your boys, hating on females and how we bring you down. The next minute you're like a puppy chasing those ladies around professing your love. Happens everyday people!
I guess even pit-bulls need hugs, but to my defense, she came onto me! :D

i'm looking to do that in medical school ASAP. i dont know why you tried to avoid it...everyone knows that good ole' TLC will cure those miserable days in class.
Jolt21, just as my uncle always says "leave those girls alone!" But No, I'd be lying if I said snuggling with cute face and Big eyes doesn't help with the stress that accompanies "those miserable days", which for me have come in the form of seemingly insurmountable volumes of material, feelings of inadequacy after being "pimped" by professors in the anatomy lab, or feelings of having been run over by a car after exams. Yes, so far it has definitely helped a little. ;)

However, I also foresee it possibly becoming another source of stress in the near future. Namely, relationship brouhaha/drama/burden. So I'm wary.

I will tell you what one of my professors told us during medical school orientation, "there never has been a rag that there wasn't a bush to hang it on and the bushes are all over you rags right now". There are loads of people who look to date, marry and otherwise get themselves involved with a medical student because they see potential huge income and lifestyle. I can only say, "Beware" because those relationships can get time and money expensive. You don't have much time and you have negative income so there goes the money.

I had a fiance during medical school and most of the time, I was just worn out from all of the stress and studying. Residency wasn't much better except that we could get away for a vacation now and then.

I've had numerous people express similiar sentiments about dating for med students. Wow this is going to be a trying four years for me dating wise.:mad:

i know I am joing the conversation late...I am having trouble dating now does this mean it is going to get worse when I get in med school?

What's the story here? who's the new lovey Ms Krispy? I told you to leave those boys alone!!!!

LMAO!

Oh, no! I'm not dating anyone. :(

I just wanted to bump the thread to see if anybody had any updates with their love life. I like to live vicariously. :love:

LMAO!

Oh, no! I'm not dating anyone. :(

I just wanted to bump the thread to see if anybody had any updates with their love life. I like to live vicariously. :love:

haha ok, well I got an update for you. The "cute face and big eyes" girl didn't work out, but I've moved on to a new sweeeet honey: An Ethiopian girl (a grad student) who insistes on cooking me breakfast every morning after (No kidding!). It was a little weird at first, but I gave in since home cooked meals are hard to come by nowadays and hey, a man has got to eat, right? :laugh:.