Debt pissing contest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your debt (estimated or actual) upon graduation?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I agreed with these restrictions. I merely said it's a possibility -- something to ask about during residency interviews, perhaps. And there are residents who do, in fact, moonlight.

No, you didn't say it was a "possibility".

I moonlight myself, so I'm not sure how I would end up on the side of a conversation saying it's not possible.

You made it sound like doubling your salary by moonlighting every weekend was NBD and, if anything, the low end of the possibilities. You also acted like anyone who is not moonlight that much is lazy or a financial idiot. That's where the problems came in.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you again appearing in a conversation that has nothing to do with you just to make jerk comments? I think so.
He has a consistent habit of doing that. I have yet to see him make a comment that is actually useful.

I moonlight myself, so I'm not sure how I would end up on the side of a conversation saying it's not possible.

You made it sound like doubling your salary by moonlighting every weekend was NBD and, if anything, the low end of the possibilities. That's where the problems came in.
Exactly. She's backtracking and only now saying she meant it as a "possibility".

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh Derm, you should work on your selective reading. My medical education thus far has no bearing on my financial know-how! My previous career does.
Nonetheless, I appreciate you reading my blog -- it's been a journey to get into medschool w 25 MCAT and otherwise stellar application. We cant all make it work like I can.
Oh and the privileged info you're sharing w me about moonlighting is old hat -- rules on moonlighting are often publicly available, and thus how I'm already familiar with those guidelines.
We've already established that moonlighting is POSSIBLE and practiced, in fact-- whether you use that "bonus" money wisely or blow it, is your choice.
And yes, I know better about my life and financial situation than a senior surgical resident.

The rules on moonlighting are not often as easily accessible as you make it seem and you have to ask specifically about them to programs or look at their sample contracts (many of which you don't get until interview day) to figure out what the rules are.

Everyone else already went over why it's pretty much impossible to moonlight until you're a senior resident (and most people don't start doing it significantly until they're in their final year or chief year). The only exception might be EM which could open up the possibility for more moonlighting given the limited shift schedule but I don't know all the details of how those usually count towards your total shifts per week and whatnot.

You made it sound like doubling your salary by moonlighting every weekend was NBD and, if anything, the low end of the possibilities. You also acted like anyone who is not moonlight that much is lazy or a financial idiot. That's where the problems came in.

How you "hear" things is on you. I never said it was NBD nor that it was on the "low end" of anything.
And I don't think any medstudents, residents, or physicians are financial idiots-- I think most don't have the opportunity to learn about finances and therein lies the trouble.

If you attack someone for their opinions-- expect some response. And for the record, calling you a "slacker" was meant as sarcasm but unfortunately taken seriously. I don't think anyone who works hard is a slacker.

How you "hear" things is on you. I never said it was NBD nor that it was on the "low end" of anything.

I've seen moonlighting advertised at $100/hr for 12hr shift =$1200... Go in every Saturday =$48,000 extra per year (before taxes of course).

And maybe you think moonlighting every Saturday is Not feasible bc you're a slacker...

Money management-- it's a real thing-- you should try it.

It just sounds like your salty bc you spend your monthly "bonuses" on burgers n beer

But hey, if I ever need advice from guys who are too busy to moonlight bc they spend all of their nonexistent free time on SDN, I'll know who to talk to.

- whether you use that "bonus" money wisely or blow it, is your choice.

I haven't looked at this thread before and have no idea who this poster is. Someone want to try to explain why I was bat signaled here?

Demayette has a nasty habit of appearing in conversations that have nothing to do with him and posting irrelevant things, often insulting things too. That's prob why

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't looked at this thread before and have no idea who this poster is. Someone want to try to explain why I was bat signaled here?
Which is also against SDN's TOS.

Reactions: 1 users
Like I said, slacker thing was meant as sarcasm, geez!

@TexasPhysician moonlighted 40 hrs extra a week! And said his colleagues had that same opportunity. Still impossible?

And yes how you decide to use your bonus money is your choice. Burgers n beers v invest...? Do what you gotta do.

@TexasPhysician moonlighted 40 hrs extra a week! And said his colleagues had that same opportunity. Still impossible?

And yes how you decide to use your bonus money is your choice. Burgers n beers v invest...? Do what you gotta do.

Ew, burgers and beer. I was thinking more like bags and SHOOZ

Members don't see this ad :)

Stop cherry picking rare cases. The guy went to a residency that only worked him 40 hours per week, which was why he was able to moonlight so much. That is far from the norm.

Also the guy is in psychiatry. Try doing that in other specialties.

Demayette has a nasty habit of appearing in conversations that have nothing to do with him and posting irrelevant things, often insulting things too. That's prob why
:rolleyes: These 3 or 4 (@NickNaylor) are the center of gravity or what I would call the 'center of narcissism' of all stupid arguments in the allo forum.

And what specialty is TexasPhysician in?

:rolleyes: These 3 or 4 (@NickNaylor) are the center of gravity or what I would call the 'center of narcissism' of all stupid arguments in the allo forum.
Again, you do realize that tagging people when they're not in the conversation in an effort to antagonize them is against SDN's TOS, correct?

A lot of my prof use NBME Qbank... so the best books always help regardless of the book my school uses...

Again, you do realize that tagging people when they're not in the conversation in an effort to antagonize them is against SDN's TOS, correct?
I was not aware of that rule since I see it's being done often here... I'll stop doing that!

I was not aware of that rule since I see it's being done often here... I'll stop doing that!
Antagonizing people or just not "@"ing them? "@"ing is allowed, just not in an lame effort to antagonize them.

There is this amazing feature you can use if you have disagreements with posters. It's called the "ignore" feature. Feel free to use it if you have an issue with my posts.

It's also funny that you seem to have such beef with two people that I find among the most consistently helpful on this entire site (@mimelim and @NickNaylor), even if I don't agree with them 100% of the time.

Reactions: 2 users
Antagonizing people or just not "@"ing them? "@"ing is allowed, just not in an lame effort to antagonize them.
Not trying to antagonize anyone, but I think you guys/gals should stop having a pissing contest all the time here...

Not trying to antagonize anyone, but I think you guys/gals should stop having a pissing contest all the time here...
You're right. Calling people narcissists isn't antagonizing at all.

And this isn't a pissing contest. Someone is giving WRONG information on moonlighting and is being called out on that misinformation bc someone could think that in residency you have you are able to pay off your loans during this time.

There is this amazing feature you can use if you have disagreements with posters. It's called the "ignore" feature. Feel free to use it if you have an issue with my posts.

It's also funny that you seem to have such beef with two people that I find among the most consistently helpful on this entire site (@mimelim and @NickNaylor), even if I don't agree with them 100% of the time.

I am not gonna ignore a med student who suggested that they should have left that physician who contracted Ebola in Africa to die there like NickNaylor did...

I'm shocked myself that of all people he named are the people who make great contributions to SDN. Go figure. I'm not shocked at the potshot to NickNaylor. Seems to be a pasttime for some people.

I am not gonna ignore a med student who suggested that they should have left that physician who contracted Ebola in Africa to die there like NickNaylor did...
Not to derail the thread, but you do realize that the person went there voluntarily right? You realize by bringing him here there was a huge risk in terms of public health ramifications?

Not to derail the thread, but you do realize that the person went there voluntarily right? You realize by bringing him here there was a huge risk in terms of public health ramifications?
Let him die because he went there voluntarily!

So let's tease this one apart a bit.

First of all, since you disagree with someone's opinion on one issue...you feel like lumping them into a pool of what you consider to be a consistent problem with the website, to the extent that you feel the need to randomly drop in and trash them on a semi-weekly basis.

Second of all...it's not like he said "I HOPE HE DIES AND ROTS IN AFRICA". His post (which I disagree with, actually) was thoughtful and non-inflammatory.

Here is the relevant thread for those currently wondering WTF...I had to search for it.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-time-magazine-article.1089702/#post-15538311

Did you even read the last half of my sentence?
Why do they have that unit at Emory hospital to treat Ebola? So the hospital can say they have an Ebola unit or to treat people with Ebola...

Why do they have that unit at Emory hospital to treat Ebola? So the hospital can say they have an Ebola unit or to treat people with Ebola...
You do realize that the unit at Emory isn't just to treat Ebola right? You know it's for communicable disease outbreaks that occur here in the United States?

You do realize that the unit at Emory isn't just to treat Ebola right? You know it's for communicable disease outbreaks that occur here in the United States?
Yes... I do realize that. That unit is also set up to treat people with Ebola. Am I wrong?

So let's tease this one apart a bit.

First of all, since you disagree with someone's opinion on one issue...you feel like lumping them into a pool of what you consider to be a consistent problem with the website, to the extent that you feel the need to randomly drop in and trash them on a semi-weekly basis.

Second of all...it's not like he said "I HOPE HE DIES AND ROTS IN AFRICA". His post (which I disagree with, actually) was thoughtful and non-inflammatory.

Here is the relevant thread for those currently wondering WTF...I had to search for it.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-time-magazine-article.1089702/#post-15538311
His post was not inflammatory, but even after people pointed out to him where he was wrong, he kept arguing they should left that guy there... If it was up to him, that guy would be dead right now... It's one thing to be wrong, but it's another thing to be wrong despite everyone pointed out to you the obvious... Physicians like that are dangerous IMO.

His post was not inflammatory, but even after people pointed out to him where he was wrong, he kept arguing they should left that guy there... If it was up to him, that guy would be dead right now... It's one thing to be wrong, but it's another thing to be wrong despite everyone pointed out to you the obvious... Physicians like that are dangerous IMO.

I don't think anyone "proved" anything. There are plenty of intelligent people on either side of the debate about how to properly handle Ebola, and I think a blanket categorization of anyone on one side of the debate or the other is foolish.

I don't think anyone "proved" anything. There are plenty of intelligent people on either side of the debate about how to properly handle Ebola, and I think a blanket categorization of anyone on one side of the debate or the other is foolish.
You think it can be 'properly' handled better in Africa where there is not even gloves/running water, let alone proper PPE etc... as opposed to the US... If you said they should not bring that physician at all in the US to be treated when 99.999% of people know they could not even contain the disease there, what are you suggesting?

You think it can be 'properly' handled better in Africa where there is not even gloves/running water, let alone proper PPE etc... as opposed to the US... If you said they should not bring that physician at all in the US to be treated when 99.999% of people know they could not even contain the disease there, what are you suggesting?

You must have missed where I said i personally disagreed with his opinion.

I just don't think my disagreement with him on this issue means he is (a) a bad person nor (b) that he will be a dangerous physician nor (c) that it somehow devalued his other contributions to the site

Reactions: 2 users

I just don't think my disagreement with him on this issue means he is (a) a bad person nor (b) that he will be a dangerous physician nor (c) that it somehow devalued his other contributions to the site
Demayette should just come out and say he hates that NickNaylor disagrees with his opinion and get it over with.

I am not saying any of these things about him... To be honest, I think he is a very knowledgeable person... It just like I could not believe that statement was coming from a physician... We are NOT the public and we should not make life and death decision on irrational fear...

Last edited:
Demayette should just come out and say he hates that NickNaylor disagrees with his opinion and get it over with.
I like NickNaylor. Yes I disagreed with him in that instance and I thought it was critical subject, that was why I voiced strongly my disagreement...

I like NickNaylor. Yes I disagreed with him in that instance and I thought it was critical subject, that was why I voiced strongly my disagreement...
And yet you called him a narcissist. Some how I don't believe you.

That demayette is a piece of work... That discussion was a long time ago and you are still having some .... about it.

That demayette is a piece of work... That discussion was a long time ago and you are still having some .... about it.
The ones so far that hold grudges against NickNaylor do it on something he said long time ago and never let go of it. You would think NickNaylor has his own opinions or something.

Mmedran, don't worry about the bashing going around here. Some of these people are 'friends' with each other on SDN so they are always azz kissing (liking friend's comments, agreeing with friend, ganging up on one person, etc).

I am not saying any of these things about him... To be honest, I think he is a very knowledgeable person... It just like I could not believe that statement was coming from a physician... We are NOT the public and we should not make life and death decision on irrational fear...

You literally JUST said you think that makes him a dangerous physician

Mmedran, don't worry about the bashing going around here. Some of these people are 'friends' with each other on SDN so they are always azz kissing (liking friend's comments, agreeing with friend, ganging up on one person, etc).
The "bashing" started with Mmedran giving wrong information about moonlighting with regards to paying off student loans. The point is that premeds and med students shouldn't be listening to her if they come off with the conclusion that one can effectively pay off student loans during residency, esp. a more rigorous one like IM or Surgery and its subspecialties when you are already working 80 hr. work weeks with moonlighting going towards that total.

Oh yes, we all gang up on people and go after them for no reason at all. If you're going to come in here and post ignorant statements and make comments that are clearly wrong, it's such a mystery as to why anyone would dare correct you. Especially when you double down in your corner of ignorance and refuse to understand or accept that you were wrong.

Cry me a river.

Status
Not open for further replies.