Debt pissing contest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your debt (estimated or actual) upon graduation?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a spouse who works could only help you make a bigger dent into your debt I would think. Also, I guess it also depends what specialty you do. You could be making 150k in family med or 300k+ in a specialty. That's why primary care doesn't seem realistic at all for those of us with 300k+

If you live like a resident you could still be paying 50+k a year on your loans, even with a PC salary. It's only not realistic if you can't budget properly and want to drive a new car because you feel owed one or some BS for becoming a doctor.

Spouse probably not going to help unless they're pulling in 6 figures. Lots of hidden expenses in a dual income household that end up netting you negative. Much harder to live as a resident when you're married than when you're single.

Members don't see this ad.

If you live like a resident you could still be paying 50+k a year on your loans, even with a PC salary. It's only not realistic if you can't budget properly and want to drive a new car because you feel owed one or some BS for becoming a doctor.

Spouse probably not going to help unless they're pulling in 6 figures. Lots of hidden expenses in a dual income household that end up netting you negative. Much harder to live as a resident when you're married than when you're single.

What hidden expenses?

I suggest you go back to wondering if you're getting into med school and quit lecturing people with a decade more experience than you about how to manage their life
To be fair, she's a first semester MS-1 (but still clueless on anything besides Anatomy and Biochemistry).

I'll pass on your "suggestions", thanks. It just sounds like your salty bc you spend your monthly "bonuses" on burgers n beer but not my business.
But if you like suggestions, I suggest you stop trolling the "medical student" forums and find a sense of humor (perhaps in "Resident" forum?) or Maybe you left it in a set of scrubs somewhere...

And yes Derm, I am an M1 who was once a corporate professional with plenty of experience with money management. So you guys can do what you like, and I'll do what I know works.
But hey, if I ever need advice from guys who are too busy to moonlight bc they spend all of their nonexistent free time on SDN, I'll know who to talk to.
You guys have been entertaining-- as always. Cheers!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll pass on your "suggestions", thanks. It just sounds like your salty bc you spend your monthly bonuses and burgers n beer but not my business.

And yes Derm, I am an M1 who was once a corporate professional with plenty of experience with money management. So you guys can do what you like, and I'll do what I know works. But hey, if I ever need advice from guys who are too busy to moonlight bc they spend all of their nonexistent free time on SDN, I'll know who to talk to.
You're right. who would know better: a surgery resident near the end of residency or an MS-1 who got into medical school with a 25 MCAT. You know nothing about moonlighting and when it is allowed, since it is very much up to your residency program director and counts toward your 80 hours. But I'm sure all those residents not moonlighting on their weekends when they're off from residency are just slackers.

What on earth is going on in here?
An MS-1 thinks that residents can moonlight on the weekends since apparently they don't have to come in for residency stuff. You know, bc patients don't get sick on the weekends or the ones already in the hospital get a temporary break from their illnesses on the weekend.

Reactions: 1 user
An MS-1 thinks that residents can moonlight on the weekends since apparently they don't have to come in for residency stuff. You know, bc patients don't get sick on the weekends or the ones already in the hospital get a temporary break from their illnesses on the weekend.

I didn't know up from down as a D1, let alone anything about finances and debt,not sure if that's how it works for an MS1

You're right. who would know better: a surgery resident near the end of residency or an MS-1 who got into medical school with a 25 MCAT. You know nothing about moonlighting and when it is allowed, since it is very much up to your residency program director and counts toward your 80 hours. But I'm sure all those residents not moonlighting on their weekends when they're off from residency are just slackers.
Oh Derm, you should work on your selective reading. My medical education thus far has no bearing on my financial know-how! My previous career does.
Nonetheless, I appreciate you reading my blog -- it's been a journey to get into medschool w 25 MCAT and otherwise stellar application. We cant all make it work like I can.
Oh and the privileged info you're sharing w me about moonlighting is old hat -- rules on moonlighting are often publicly available, and thus how I'm already familiar with those guidelines.
We've already established that moonlighting is POSSIBLE and practiced, in fact-- whether you use that "bonus" money wisely or blow it, is your choice.
And yes, I know better about my life and financial situation than a senior surgical resident.

More like DermViser didn't quite compute sarcasm from a previous post.

I didn't know up from down as a D1, let alone anything about finances and debt,not sure if that's how it works for an MS1
Never stops them from surmising though. At least most MS-1s don't have the hubris to talk as if they know something about GME.

Oh and the privileged info you're sharing w me about moonlighting is old hat -- rules on moonlighting are often publicly available, and thus how I'm already familiar with those guidelines.
We've already established that moonlighting is POSSIBLE and practiced, in fact-- whether you use that "bonus" money wisely or blow it, is your choice.
And yes, I know better about my life and financial situation than a senior surgical resident.
Yeah, rules also say you're only supposed to work 80 hour work weeks too. Rules on moonlighting are at the whim of your PD. Moonlighting is a privilege not a right. You apparently don't know the financial situation of a resident in terms of moonlighting and using it to make a loan payment.

Never stops them from surmising though. At least most MS-1s don't have the hubris to talk as if they know something about GME.

He's a MS1 noob. Not surprised by the posts.

It's really a shame-- plenty of my classmates have no idea what debt is or how to handle it. Our school at least held seminars hosted my financial advisors to teach them about debt and repayment early on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, rules also say you're only supposed to work 80 hour work weeks too. Rules on moonlighting are at the whim of your PD. Moonlighting is a privilege not a right. You apparently don't know the financial situation of a resident in terms of moonlighting and using it to make a loan payment.
Also old hat. Got anything new?

I'll pass on your "suggestions", thanks. It just sounds like your salty bc you spend your monthly "bonuses" on burgers n beer but not my business.
But if you like suggestions, I suggest you stop trolling the "medical student" forums and find a sense of humor (perhaps in "Resident" forum?) or Maybe you left it in a set of scrubs somewhere...

And yes Derm, I am an M1 who was once a corporate professional with plenty of experience with money management. So you guys can do what you like, and I'll do what I know works.
But hey, if I ever need advice from guys who are too busy to moonlight bc they spend all of their nonexistent free time on SDN, I'll know who to talk to.

how do you think you're going to moonlight when you are already working 80 hours a week. seriously you might go insane if you try to moonlight on top of that. this is where if you have experience in the world, you should be able to rationalize that " hey after I've worked 12+ hours M-Sat I'm probably not going to want to work sunday,"

What hidden expenses?

higher tax bracket, child care if you have any kids, another car to pay for, another wardrobe to buy for work, more food to buy because you won't want to cook as often, all kinds of stuff like that

Isn't a 25 on the MCAT getting like half the questions right? I'm fairly sure I could do that after 5-6 craft beers.

Reactions: 1 users
Here is an attending talking about moonlight...

My program was about 40 hrs/week. That left 40 hrs to moonlight every week without breaking rules. I probably worked an extra 10-20 hrs only/week. If I had pushed it, I could have made over 100k instead of mid 40's.
This is highly dependent on the program, but I was close to that number pgy-2. I could have blown past it had I been willing to work that hard. Some of my co-residents paid off more than 50k in loans in 1 year.

If this is important to you (was for me), a vital talking point on the residency interview trail is moonlighting possibilities.

Last edited:
Isn't a 25 on the MCAT getting like half the questions right? I'm fairly sure I could do that after 5-6 craft beers.
Ouch! ... Oh wait-- not! You salty about my getting into medschool w a 25 or the fact that you had to do way better on your vanilla application for schools to even look at you?
No need to hate :)

Here is an attending talking about moonlight...

That's all I'm saying -- it's POSSIBLE! Thanks W19 :)

You missed an important part of his comment:

My program was about 40 hrs/week.

If you're a psych resident working 40 hrs per week, you clearly have some spare time to use at your discretion. Which is why I said "most" in my comments, since 40 hrs per week is nowhere near the norm for "most" residents.

Reactions: 3 users
You missed an important part of his comment:

If you're a psych resident working 40 hrs per week, you clearly have some spare time to use at your discretion. Which is why I said "most" in my comments, since 40 hrs per week is nowhere near the norm for "most" residents.
What did I miss about his/her comments? You guys/gals were talking about paying back student loan while doing residency... that was the overall theme of your arguments. I am sure that @Mmedran understands that some residents won't be able to moonlight due to hours restriction.

What did I miss about his/her comments? You guys/gals were talking about paying back while doing residency... that was the overall theme of your arguments.

You missed that the attending you quoted was working the absolute lowest hours of any residency. Sure if you're working 40/week you can moonlight - since that's basically like working any other 9-5 job. Same way I have time to moonlight during my research years.

I am sure that @Mmedran understands that some residents won't be able to moonlight due to hours restriction.

I'm pretty sure she only knows how to be an antagonistic jagoff

You missed that the attending you quoted was working the absolute lowest hours of any residency. Sure if you're working 40/week you can moonlight - since that's basically like working any other 9-5 job. Same way I have time to moonlight during my research years.

Anyway, I think talking about her mcat score was uncalled for. Only people who score 30+ in the mcat should have an opinion on anything related to med school! That is new to me... Since I missed some key points about that whole argument, I will stay out of it.

Ouch! ... Oh wait-- not! You salty about my getting into medschool w a 25 or the fact that you had to do way better on your vanilla application for schools to even look at you?
No need to hate :)
No. More like he is "salty" about you being allowed to get into into medical school with a 25, just bc you happen to be a URM.

Pot calling the kettle black?
Name calling because someone disagrees with you is really unbecoming -- you should probably work on that.

Was wondering when this would turn into a real pissing contest, and now...

HAPPENING.gif

Reactions: 1 users
No. More like he is "salty" about you being allowed to get into into medical school with a 25, just bc you happen to be a URM.
C'mon Derm! Have you nothing better to do than comment on posts that weren't even directed to you?
How is it you can spend sooo much time on SDN anyway?
Truth be told, sometimes you have some great posts but for the most part you just keep putting your nose in threads that don't need or want your input. Are you even a student anymore?

C'mon Derm! Have you nothing better to do than comment on posts that weren't even directed to you?
Truth be told, sometimes you have some great posts but for the most part you just keep putting your nose in threads that don't need or want your input. Are you even a student anymore?

He's a dermie. That should answer your question as to how he has so much time

( <3 you dermie )

You made the comment you got into medical school bc your application was so "interesting". That is likely not the case as it won't make up for a very subpar MCAT, unless...

You made the comment you got into medical school bc your application was so "interesting". That is likely not the case as it won't make up for a very subpar MCAT, unless...
Apparently it was bc I AM in medschool... A US allopathic one too!

Apparently it was bc I AM in medschool... A US allopathic one too!
Like I was saying, it wouldn't be enough to get into medical school UNLESS you were a URM, which you are according to your MDApps profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.