Decent gpa, avg mcat. A lot of research.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toshuff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first post. So here goes. Looking to apply more towards DO schools.

Numbers
My undergrad gpa (Biology major) is 3.6 with my science gpa @ 3.55.
My graduate gpa (M.S in Molecular biology and bioengineering) is 3.9.
My mcat score is 10,7,10 (ps,vr,bs).

Research
During my M.S program i conducted 2 years of research which yielded
-1 primary author publication
-1 secondary author publication
-1 national conference poster presentation
-2 University poster and oral presentation ( which I won awards for best poster and 3rd in oral presentation)

Volunteer
-Not much on this end... I was however, the representative for my department during the student run GSO( graduate student organization). My main role was to represent my department in talks involving graduate student rights. A secondary roll was to review grants which were granted by the GSO.

Thanks for looking at my post. Look forward to your opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

I live in Illinois. For EC activities, I have mostly work experience which are non medical school related. I did a 1 year study abroad program in Japan.

My clinical experience are more research based rather than hospital volunteer based.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I graduated from a certain school as a undergrad, does it affect (positive or negatively) my application if I apply to the same school for medical school?

If I graduated from a certain school as a undergrad, does it affect (positive or negatively) my application if I apply to the same school for medical school?
The "boost" varies from school to school. As I'm sure you are aware, your stats are well below average for MD (esp. MCAT) and your EC's won't give you much opportunity to explain why you want to be a physician. Sadly, your strong suit (research) only begins to yield results when your numerical stats are above average. A strategic application including applications to every school with median MCAT below 30 (MD and especially DO) should get you some interviews. Get a DO letter!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone this is my first post. So here goes. Looking to apply more towards DO schools.

Numbers
My undergrad gpa (Biology major) is 3.6 with my science gpa @ 3.55.
My graduate gpa (M.S in Molecular biology and bioengineering) is 3.9.
My mcat score is 10,7,10 (ps,vr,bs).

Research
During my M.S program i conducted 2 years of research which yielded
-1 primary author publication
-1 secondary author publication
-1 national conference poster presentation
-2 University poster and oral presentation ( which I won awards for best poster and 3rd in oral presentation)

Volunteer
-Not much on this end... I was however, the representative for my department during the student run GSO( graduate student organization). My main role was to represent my department in talks involving graduate student rights. A secondary roll was to review grants which were granted by the GSO.

Thanks for looking at my post. Look forward to your opinion.

You'll be fine for DO. Stats are good enough for every one of them.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

You should be competitive for DO schools. I'd suggest retaking the MCAT if you are going to apply to MD schools.