MD & DO Decent GPA Low MCAT (3.78cgpa,3.64sgpa, 27)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Theseus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
According to Table 25 for white applicants, your stats give you in the neighborhood of a 50/50 shot for an acceptance.

Apply broadly to schools with lower 10th-percentile MCAT scores. Apply to all the SUNY schools, Albany, and OOS schools like UVM, Wake Forest, NYMC, etc.

I would recommend against an MCAT retake in July unless you think you messed up due to nerves and have been averaging 5+ points higher on AAMC full-length exams. A retake that ends with a similar score will only hurt you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your current numbers will almost certainly get you into DO and possibly get you into MD. I'd drop the July retake, especially if you're not motivated to study your butt off for 1.5 months.

Early and broadly

Also, DO

There is hope. If you don't get in, retake the MCAT and do it all over again

My AAMC test breakdown is as follows:
AAMC 3: 32 (12/9/11)
AAMC 4: 36 (12/10/13)
AAMC 5: 33 (12/10/11)
AAMC 7: 36 (13/10/13)
AAMC 8: 34 (12/11/11)
AAMC 9: 38 (15/11/12)
AAMC 10: 35 (11/11/13)
AAMC 11: 30(10/10/10)

I really don't want to start studying again, to be honest. But I will do it if needed.

With these scores, I might consider a retake. You averaged a 34. Was it nerves?

Other than the MCAT, you don't have much clinical experience, depending on what your volunteer experience entailed. Might be worth doing a bit more shadowing.

With these scores, I might consider a retake. You averaged a 34. Was it nerves?

Other than the MCAT, you don't have much clinical experience, depending on what your volunteer experience entailed. Might be worth doing a bit more shadowing.

Ironically, the PS section threw me off a little and I thought I had scored <8, and I was pretty confident during VR and BS. Oh the irony. The clinical volunteering is patient-care related.

Should I even bother applying MD? I took a look at MSAR and my MCAT is just under most of the SUNY school 10 percentile range.