Decent MCAT and gpa but AMAZING beard growing abilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

About28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need help with a school list/ chance me
3.65 cGPA 3.64 sGPA
34 MCAT (13 BS, 11 VR, 10 PS)
MA resident

-2 years of research in a super independent lab, could talk about it for days but no publications or presentations... yet

-One week trip to Honduras and one week trip to Panama. I raised the funds by myself and have been continually involved in the organization for 2 years now. Great shadowing opportunities.

-Spent the summer before my freshman, sophomore and junior year volunteering at a hospital. There are a ton of hours here. I'd say a total of +200 medically related volunteer hours. Had to stop this opportunity to work full time during the summer for monetary reasons.

-I have the ability to grow a full and thick beard in a short amount of time. I'm really tall so it makes me look like a lumberjack

-Along with the volunteering, I was able to shadow physicians in pre and post op, along with scrubbing up for various orthopedic surgeries (neck, spine, knee to name a few). I'd say +80 shadowing hours

-I have a leadership role in a comedy group on my campus, organizing meetings and events with the members along with writing and acting in various sketches and videos. My title is executive event coordinator.

-During the past 3 summers, and coming up on this summer, I worked 40 hours a week as a trades assistant. I have learned a lot of carpentry and HV/AC along with a little plumbing. This is a manual labor job.

-Church stuff: My freshman year I traveled down to Mississippi for a week to rebuild homes for people who were affected by hurricane Katrina. I'm also a Eucharistic minister.

-Hobbies: I ski a lot and I love woodworking

Heres my school list. the MSAR scared me out of applying anywhere else, any suggestions would be really appreciated. Also, maybe DO? An * indicates places I applied to previously (I was complete in like november at most schools, ADCOM told me to reapply right away. Any reapp school on this list responded somewhat positively i.e. small pool or interview) NEED MORE SCHOOLS
· Albany Medical College
· BU*
· Cooper
· Drexel
· Dartmouth
· Eastern Virginia Medical School
· Georgetown
· Jefferson*
· Medical College of Wisconsin
· New York Medical College*
· Oakland University COM
· Penn State*
· SUNY Upstate*
· Toledo College of Medicine
· Tufts*
· Tulane
· University of Buffalo*
· University of Arizona- Phoenix
· UMass*
· University of Nebraska
· University of Rochester
· UVM*
· Virginia Commonwealth
· Virginia Tech
· Western Michigan
· Wright State

Members don't see this ad.

Would recommend you bolster your clinical experience. Your current stuff is choppy and short-term.

Would recommend you bolster your clinical experience. Your current stuff is choppy and short-term.

I also shadowed a PT, I don't know if that helps at all, probably not. In your opinion, is the issue with the clinical stuff enough to warrant a gap year before applying again? This next cycle is right around the corner.

Members don't see this ad :)
too many public OOS schools? look at OOS acceptance numbers if interested in applying to those schools. as always, don't apply solely based on average/median numbers.

Reactions: 1 user
Shadowing is not considered clinical experience the way it's classified in AMCAS.

EC-wise, I think the two massive pillars are research and clinical experience. The latter can be done through work or volunteering. There is a preference for doing activities continuously and accumulating lots of hours and ideally leadership experience or distinction in that.

I'm not comfortable telling people when to apply. I am comfortable identifying weaknesses, telling people to make sure their first app cycle is their strongest, etc.

too many public OOS schools? look at OOS acceptance numbers if interested in applying to those schools. as always, don't apply solely based on average/median numbers.

I have strong ties to a few of the public schools on there. I've been scouring the MSAR for mission statements and OOS applicants vs. OOS interviews. The ones on there represent what I have found to be reasonably OOS friendly but I could absolutely have misread some of them. I'm attempting to cross reference MSAR median numbers with OOS friendliness. Any specific ones that look particularly off?

Shadowing is not considered clinical experience the way it's classified in AMCAS.

EC-wise, I think the two massive pillars are research and clinical experience. The latter can be done through work or volunteering. There is a preference for doing activities continuously and accumulating lots of hours and ideally leadership experience or distinction in that.

I'm not comfortable telling people when to apply. I am comfortable identifying weaknesses, telling people to make sure their first app cycle is their strongest, etc.

Ah, I see. I suppose that my volunteering would count as clinical experience then? I did interact with patients quite a bit.

Ah, I see. I suppose that my volunteering would count as clinical experience then? I did interact with patients quite a bit.

Yes, I see that you have clinical volunteering experience. 200 hours if I'm not mistaken. The weakness, as I alluded to previously, is it's in short bursts and choppy.

I have strong ties to a few of the public schools on there. I've been scouring the MSAR for mission statements and OOS applicants vs. OOS interviews. The ones on there represent what I have found to be reasonably OOS friendly but I could absolutely have misread some of them. I'm attempting to cross reference MSAR median numbers with OOS friendliness. Any specific ones that look particularly off?

Ah, okay. None looks off to me, but I'm unaware of how OOS-friendly most public schools are. List looks good to me.

Need help with a school list/ chance me
3.65 cGPA 3.64 sGPA
34 MCAT (13 BS, 11 VR, 10 PS)
MA resident

-2 years of research in a super independent lab, could talk about it for days but no publications or presentations... yet

-One week trip to Honduras and one week trip to Panama. I raised the funds by myself and have been continually involved in the organization for 2 years now. Great shadowing opportunities.

-Spent the summer before my freshman, sophomore and junior year volunteering at a hospital. There are a ton of hours here. I'd say a total of +200 medically related volunteer hours. Had to stop this opportunity to work full time during the summer for monetary reasons.

-I have the ability to grow a full and thick beard in a short amount of time. I'm really tall so it makes me look like a lumberjack

-Along with the volunteering, I was able to shadow physicians in pre and post op, along with scrubbing up for various orthopedic surgeries (neck, spine, knee to name a few). I'd say +80 shadowing hours

-I have a leadership role in a comedy group on my campus, organizing meetings and events with the members along with writing and acting in various sketches and videos. My title is executive event coordinator.

-During the past 3 summers, and coming up on this summer, I worked 40 hours a week as a trades assistant. I have learned a lot of carpentry and HV/AC along with a little plumbing. This is a manual labor job.

-Church stuff: My freshman year I traveled down to Mississippi for a week to rebuild homes for people who were affected by hurricane Katrina. I'm also a Eucharistic minister.

-Hobbies: I ski a lot and I love woodworking

Heres my school list. the MSAR scared me out of applying anywhere else, any suggestions would be really appreciated. Also, maybe DO? An * indicates places I applied to previously (I was complete in like november at most schools, ADCOM told me to reapply right away. Any reapp school on this list responded somewhat positively i.e. small pool or interview) NEED MORE SCHOOLS
· Albany Medical College
· BU*
· Cooper
· Drexel
· Dartmouth
· Eastern Virginia Medical School
· Georgetown
· Jefferson*
· Medical College of Wisconsin
· New York Medical College*
· Oakland University COM
· Penn State*
· SUNY Upstate*
· Toledo College of Medicine
· Tufts*
· Tulane
· University of Buffalo*
· University of Arizona- Phoenix
· UMass*
· University of Nebraska
· University of Rochester
· UVM*
· Virginia Commonwealth
· Virginia Tech
· Western Michigan
· Wright State
In your opinion, is the issue with the clinical stuff enough to warrant a gap year before applying again? This next cycle is right around the corner.
I think you're fine to apply this coming cycle. If you don't have any (US) office-based (ideally primary care) shadowing, you might try to get at least a day's worth before applying.

I'd like to have seen regular nonmedical community service helping those in need in your local community. Since you like to build, maybe with a Habitat for Humanity chapter or similar.

I think you should add a reachy dream school or two, just for fun. I have no problem with any of your OOS publics as they all matriculate a decent % of OOSers (by my standard). Maybe rethink BU since it gets far too many applicants.

I was looking at AAMC data on matriculants with my stats and it looks like ~20% of applicants with my stats don't matriculate. Could I be one of those ~20% this cycle simply because I applied extremely late (Complete October-November)?

I was looking at AAMC data on matriculants with my stats and it looks like ~20% of applicants with my stats don't matriculate. Could I be one of those ~20% this cycle simply because I applied extremely late (Complete October-November)?
Absolutely.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend USF and UCF (but I'm obviously a little biased) because they accept ~25% OOS and the $30 secondary fee is nice.

I would recommend USF and UCF (but I'm obviously a little biased) because they accept ~25% OOS and the $30 secondary fee is nice.

UCF looks good, but USF is talking about a select program for out of state applicants, do you know anything about that?

Also, what does everyone think about Rosalind Franklin?

UCF looks good, but USF is talking about a select program for out of state applicants, do you know anything about that?

Also, what does everyone think about Rosalind Franklin?
Select isn't just for OOS. From what I understand about 25% of the regular CORE class is OOS. Select is a somewhat connected program that charges OOS tuition for everyone based on the nature of the program. On your secondary you can select CORE, Select, or both.