Dental Hygienist to Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

judgejudy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any registered dental hygienists who have gone on to dental school? I am asking this because I am thinking about getting a B.SC. in Dental Hygiene and taking the required sciences to get into dental school while making good money as a part-time hygienist. Also making good money during the summers and the year before dental school is a plus. On dental school admissions web pages various undergrad. majors were completed by current dental students. Everything from Anthropology to Political Science.
Would admissions look favorably upon that level of exposure and patient contact within the dental field? Maybe Biology really is the best choice instead? Please share your honest opinions with me as I am just finishing up my generals.

Thank you,

jugejudy

Members don't see this ad.

I personally know of 2. One who was both in my dental school class and in my residency, and the other who is a part time faculty member now in the oral and maxillofacial radiology department at UCONN as well as having her own private practice..

I know of a lot of people who have done this. All of the schools that I have talked or interviewed with stress exposure to the profession (they want to make sure you know what your getting into). Almost everyone is tied to dentistry in one way or another (already worked in it; family members who are dentits). Also, I am econ major and it hasn't hindered me. The schools like a lot of science background, but they also approve if you have pursued other interests (all of the interviews I have been on comment on my major because they say it will be helpfuf once I start a practice.)

I hope this helps you! Good Luck!