Dentistry vs Optometry vs Nursing vs ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted687806

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the age old "versus" question in advance.

I'm at the point in my undergrad career where I can still flip flop between career choices and not have many repercussions, but that is drawing to a close as I want to decide on one by the end of the summer, join a preprofessional club, and get in substantial shadowing hours under my belt in the next school year.

I've talked to various current students, current professionals, my parents, and friends about this question and Id like to ask for your polite opinions and thoughts, which I'm sure will vary since I will be posting this across many forums topics.

Basically:
-I want to work in health care.
-I want a profession that will allow me to own my own practice.

-Optometry: I originally wanted to pursue optometry and really love the profession, however the impending technology changes (self-online tests?, 1800 contacts, online glasses boutiques) in the very foreseeable future worries me very much and even the increasingly commercialization aspects (lens crafters, walgreens, etc)- to the point of steering me away from the profession. Especially b/c I intend to work in the Bay Area/Socal after graduation.

-Dentistry: My parents work in the field of dentistry, and Ive seen how precision and details really matter in dentistry. I'm not the most comfortable with working in the micro world, and it's always frustrated me when I've had to work with my hands w/ very small materials/spaces. I also am not confident in my ability to be happy when I wake up in the mornings to go to work in a dental office. Mouths dont interest me as much as eyes/the general body.

-Nursing: I would be fine w/ nursing, the only thing that gets me is that I don't think I can own a practice with just a nursing degree.

-Physician: Never seriously considered this, so I don't know too much about it. When I think of physician I think of my pediatrician, a very cranky, serious, old man who drives a Mercedes convertible. :eek:

-Pharmacy: Also never seriously considered this, doesn't really interest me as much.

1. Has anyone been in similar situations, and if so what was your conclusion/what profession did you choose?
2. Would you choose to go down the same path again?
3. Are there other medical professions that I am discounting? Please forgive my ignorance if so and be so kind as to share other career options.

Thank you in advance, and I would greatly respect your civility in your responses. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat as you. I love the eyes but I'm not going into the medical field, but it seems like optometry is a risky field. I'm still pursuing it anyways bc nothing else interests me. I swear if I were into dentistry I'd do it

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the age old "versus" question in advance.

I'm at the point in my undergrad career where I can still flip flop between career choices and not have many repercussions, but that is drawing to a close as I want to decide on one by the end of the summer, join a preprofessional club, and get in substantial shadowing hours under my belt in the next school year.

I've talked to various current students, current professionals, my parents, and friends about this question and Id like to ask for your polite opinions and thoughts, which I'm sure will vary since I will be posting this across many forums topics.

Basically:
-I want to work in health care.
-I want a profession that will allow me to own my own practice.

-Optometry: I originally wanted to pursue optometry and really love the profession, however the impending technology changes (self-online tests?, 1800 contacts, online glasses boutiques) in the very foreseeable future worries me very much and even the increasingly commercialization aspects (lens crafters, walgreens, etc)- to the point of steering me away from the profession. Especially b/c I intend to work in the Bay Area/Socal after graduation.

-Dentistry: My parents work in the field of dentistry, and Ive seen how precision and details really matter in dentistry. I'm not the most comfortable with working in the micro world, and it's always frustrated me when I've had to work with my hands w/ very small materials/spaces. I also am not confident in my ability to be happy when I wake up in the mornings to go to work in a dental office. Mouths dont interest me as much as eyes/the general body.

-Nursing: I would be fine w/ nursing, the only thing that gets me is that I don't think I can own a practice with just a nursing degree.

-Physician: Never seriously considered this, so I don't know too much about it. When I think of physician I think of my pediatrician, a very cranky, serious, old man who drives a Mercedes convertible. :eek:

-Pharmacy: Also never seriously considered this, doesn't really interest me as much.

1. Has anyone been in similar situations, and if so what was your conclusion/what profession did you choose?
2. Would you choose to go down the same path again?
3. Are there other medical professions that I am discounting? Please forgive my ignorance if so and be so kind as to share other career options.

Thank you in advance, and I would greatly respect your civility in your responses. Thank you!

You need to be more specific than "work in health care." Essentially you have no idea what you want to do right now. That's ok though, go get more experience exploring various career paths.

You can at least cross dentistry off your list.

....and stop cross posting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat as you. I love the eyes but I'm not going into the medical field, but it seems like optometry is a risky field. I'm still pursuing it anyways bc nothing else interests me. I swear if I were into dentistry I'd do it

Optometry is part of the medical field.

I assume you mean you're not going to medical school. Why though?

Optometry is part of the medical field.

I assume you mean you're not going to medical school. Why though?
Grades and the intense lifestyle. Yes it is prestigious and makes good money, but I'm happy enough with just having a comfortable lifestyle. Plus, surgery is not for me

I was a premed once! I agree that the lifestyle (and lack of surgery) is part of why I chose optometry over physician, but there are medical specialties that allow for a good lifestyle and no surgery! I'm thinking like radiology, dermatology, the so-called "lifestyle specialty". It just requires more years of investment than the alternatives. I have heard the rumors that SoCal is pretty saturated, what with two optometry schools in LA and most students wanting to stay in cali afterwards, like you. Sounds like you're really not interested in dentistry, and it would be a shame to go to work every morning thinking "I would rather be doing something else."

What I'm taking from your descriptions of what you want:
  • if you're willing to leave SoCal in order to have better job prospects, go optometry
  • if you think you could warm up to dentistry eventually, do dentistry
  • if you're willing to put a lot of effort into your career to stay in SoCal and own a practice and have a good lifestyle, go medicine
  • if you think you are okay with not owning a practice, then nursing/pharmacy works for you, and so could becoming a PA (physician assistant)
  • Podiatry is an option that I know very little about, but I'm pretty sure it's one where you can own a practice someday
  • Physical/occupational therapy?

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you are looking for an easy career that's also prestigious that also pays well and that also won't be impacted as a career down the line. Haha, in all honest I think you're asking for too much. Anything you want to do will take work. I would suggest contacting a local hospital and volunteering in different areas. I was at a local hospital in SoCal and every week they would switch us into a different department. I got to see every aspect of the medical field and that is when I decided what was right for me. It truly is a "you won't know til you try" type thing

If you are getting into optometry, it shouldn't be to make money. It should be because you know it is what you want to do. Otherwise you are going to be disappointed, especially trying to pay off student loans. You should also realize you most likely aren't going to have complete autonomy in your own private practice.

I am getting into it because I want to go into vision research in addition to earning the OD. The OD program I will be a part of has the option to earn a masters in vision science during the 4 OD years, which can then be turned into a PhD. I know it is exactly what I want to do, and going into optometry guarantees that I will be working in the field I want, whereas medical school would in no way guarantee that.

The debt compared to what you would make after OD school isn't great. I am going to be paying in state tuition, and I just got married. My wife works and will be able to pay for rent and living expenses, and perhaps equipment. These things lower the amount I have to take out in loans. If it weren't for these things, I don't think I would go into optometry, even though it is my interest. As much as you may love the profession, when it comes to being able to contribute to your family and provide for them, you have to make hard decisions.

This is my specific situation. Your situation will be different. I have my plan, know what the costs are, know what the return is, know what to expect from my career, and am prepared to move forward. You have to do the same thing with these careers. If you want to make some money, I agree dental is a great way to go.

Dental school... Maybe I am wrong here, but I believe dentists make more on average than optometrists...
Dentist make much much much more. Go to usajobs.gov and check out the offers for different professions. This reflects the real world difference. They give a range of salaries, but no one gets anywhere near the high end of the scale. Expect to get something in the middle. Indian health service only pays at the lower end,.