Desperately need advice on reapplying ASAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I desperately need some advice on reapplying and opinions about my whole application in general.
These are my stats: I have a 3.3 science gpa and 3.6 overall gpa, 25 MCAT, and I have done the following activities: volunteered at a hospital for over 150 hours, shadowed a few doctors, did some psychology research, have held leadership positions on a few campus based organizations, worked as a grader for a biology course, and done a few other small community service activities.
I applied this year and haven’t gotten into any of the med schools but I was kind of expecting that considering my low MCAT score and my late application. Anyways I am going to reapply for the Fall 2008 class and I need some suggestions as to how I should maximize my chances of getting in based on my stats. My advisor told me to apply to one of those post-bacc. masters programs that are for a year and are designed for those applying to med school. But these programs are pretty expensive and I don't really trust my advisor that much so I wanted to get some more opinions before I apply. So considering my stats and my activities, do you all think that it would be best for me to apply to these programs and take the MCAT over again or do you think I would be ok if I just took the MCAT again? Also if you think that I can just take the MCAT then what kinds of suggestions do you have of what I should do for the rest of the year.
I know these are a lot of questions, but I would really appreciate it if you guys could respond back to me as soon as possible because I am very confused and don’t really know what to do. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Listen to your pre med advisor, since you are fortunate enough to have one.

Re-take the MCAT--DEFINITELY.

Why is your science GPA so low?

Consider taking science courses over the next year that would show that your apparent weakness in the science is not really the case.

Good luck!!!:luck:

Well your GPA is just average (slightly below average in sciences), your volunteer/EC are average, and your MCAT is below average... I would aim to get your MCAT in the average range (around a 30) and take one or two science courses over the next year to boost up your science GPA. You don't need a formal post bac program, just take a class at a local state college as a "post-bac" student. A good goal would be to get your science GPA in the 3.5 range, which can be done given the fact that you have another year. Also, based on various adcoms forums I've read, I would def apply early if I was you and the adcoms would probably recommend that someone with your stats (or slightly higher, since that's what we're projecting for you) should apply to 20-25 schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take your advisor's advice. Why would you trust people whom you have never met over the internet over your advisor? Be careful of the advice you get on the internet; it may not be in your best interests. We don't know you as well as your advisor knows you.

Well your GPA is just average (slightly below average in sciences), your volunteer/EC are average, and your MCAT is below average... I would aim to get your MCAT in the average range (around a 30) and take one or two science courses over the next year to boost up your science GPA. You don't need a formal post bac program, just take a class at a local state college as a "post-bac" student. A good goal would be to get your science GPA in the 3.5 range, which can be done given the fact that you have another year. Also, based on various adcoms forums I've read, I would def apply early if I was you and the adcoms would probably recommend that someone with your stats (or slightly higher, since that's what we're projecting for you) should apply to 20-25 schools.

Agree with the post-bacc option at a cheaper place.

My advice depends on what state you are a resident in. Bring your MCAT up to over 30 for best results.