Determining OOS Friendly schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jch1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of selecting which schools to apply to. I'm using the MSAR, but I'm not exactly sure how to determine which schools are out of state friendly.

So far I've been comparing the percentages of matriculants (instate vs OOS) and using that as my guide. Is this a good estimate? The only reason I'm hesitant to do this is that the school might have offered a lot of OOS acceptances, but not many chose to matriculate. Also, what is a good cutoff percentage for OOS friendly (25%, 40%?)

I'm from California so I will have to be applying very broadly and any help would be super helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to advertise (and for US news of all people!), but I think the information from this thread is what you're looking for:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=825146

I got it yesterday, and it shows actual acceptance numbers for IS and OOS. So you can see %IS/OOS interviewed/accepted, and form your opinions from that. (a few schools are missing some stats, but the overwhelming majority have all of them shown)

Members don't see this ad :)
Edit: Nevermind. Catalystic's response is much better than mine.

Another Edit: Something to keep in mind with Catalystic's list is that schools that are favorable percentage-wise to OOSers can still be very difficult to get into. Georgetown and GW for instance matriculate almost their entire class from outside D.C. but they are still difficult to get into due to the volume of applications they receive. So make sure you look at all of the metrics you have available to you.

Reactions: 1 user
using matriculant numbers alone sort of gives an incomplete picture of how friendly a school is to oos students. Alabama for example, actually gave >30% of their acceptances to oos last year, but only 14% decided to matriculate there.

I read in the thread about 22 new schools in three years and someone made a post that Loyola and Rush are not as OOS friendly as they seem. While the % OOS matriculated is good the %OOS get interviewed is 2% for RUSH and 4% for Loyola comparing to 15% of IS.

Which would be a more accurate indicator? % matriculated or % get interviewed?

using matriculant numbers alone sort of gives an incomplete picture of how friendly a school is to oos students. Alabama for example, actually gave >30% of their acceptances to oos last year, but only 14% decided to matriculate there.

That's a very good point.

For example, Michigan gave 329 out of 438 acceptances to OOS students, but only 83 OOS students enrolled (87 IS students enrolled out of 109 acceptances).

And also to keep in mind, having connections to the school and location (family, having lived there, etc) will really help. Even schools that are not OOS-friendly will accept some OOS, and it's usually due to these connections because the applicant could conceivably stay there after med school.