Disadvantaged or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

In Missourah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know disadvantaged status is mainly for US citizens, but is this worth mentioning?

*My disadvantaged essay*
While my family was considered middle class by third-world standards, I believe I nevertheless faced economic challenges growing up. Our family of seven lived on much less than the poverty level for a family of four in the US, and in addition to supporting his children, my father also supported his eight siblings and put seven of them through school. For high school, I went to a public boarding school that was resource-poor. It had almost no functional toilets, erratic power and water, and didn’t feed students enough to keep them from being hungry. Education wise, science classes had almost no labs, and the “library” had just five copies of a single book that could be read for pleasure by a student population of over 3,000. As a result, my high school education was deficient in ways I couldn’t even fathom. I graduated high school at 16, at which point my father was laid off. Poor decisions quickly had us living on less than $1 per day and experiencing food insecurity. Until I began college in [home country] at 19, I worked at my mother’s fledgling bakery business, which included working all night to fulfill orders so we had money to buy food. I had to start college from scratch in the US to qualify for the scholarship that paid for my education, but I am thankful I got the chance.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is worth noting as it speaks to "distance traveled" to get to where you are today. I did a tiny bit of editing.

While my family was considered middle class by third-world standards, I believe I nevertheless faced economic challenges growing up. My father supported our family of seven plus his eight siblings. For high school, I went to a public boarding school that was resource-poor. It had almost no functional toilets, erratic power and water, and didn’t feed students enough to keep us from being hungry. Science classes had almost no labs, and the “library” had just five copies of a single book that could be read for pleasure by a student body of over 3,000. I graduated high school at 16 and, at the same time, my father was laid off. Therefore, for the next three years, I worked nights in my mother’s fledgling bakery business to help support the household. I began college in [home country] at age 19 but I had to start over in the US to qualify for the scholarship that paid for my education, but I am thankful I got the chance.

I think it is worth noting as it speaks to "distance traveled" to get to where you are today. I did a tiny bit of editing.

*SNIP*

Thanks! And thank you for the editing. I wasn't sure whether to mention it, because it has only been with the passage of time that I have come to realize that although I might not have been aware of them growing up, I did have challenges.

It seems weird to start a disadvantaged student essay off with "While my family was considered middle class"

But actually though, with the edits it seems like a very good essay