Dismissed from pharmacy school 1 week before new semester- please help ASAP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmdespair

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I go to Rutgers University...

I'm posting today because I'm in desperate need of some advice, hope, or maybe just a plain reality check. Last year, I failed a course (Medicinal Chemistry) and was required to repeat it with a minimum repeated course grade of a C. I took the course this semester, and I received a C in the course. Today, I received an email from my school saying I was dismissed- with no actual reason being stated. In the letter, I was only told that I should plan to transfer to another school or to another university, and if I had extenuating circumstances, I can send in an appeal form.

I have prepared my appeal form- as the last year has consisted of my mom getting into a severe car accident and having injuries that caused a lot of health issues. She was seeing multiple doctors, and her health deteriorated half a year after the accident in terms of pain- causing her to have suicidal thoughts. I was an Out of state student, so I had to juggle responsibilities in school along with making sure she feels supported. The struggle finally came to a calmer time this past semester around November, but by then, I had been struggling with my own anxiety over school and her that my grades had been affected- thus the minimal C requirement met but nothing more than that.

I am sending my appeal in along with her accident report, medical records, etc. However, I am also trying to figure out what the chances are that I will actually win this fight. In addition, does anyone know about if I could transfer to another pharmacy school? Or if there is any option for me at all that involves me staying in pharmacy school somewhere somehow?

I would really appreciate everyone's input whether or not they have been in the same situation- anything any of you have to say will be of value to me.

Thank you so much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm posting today because I'm in desperate need of some advice, hope, or maybe just a plain reality check. Last year, I failed a course (Medicinal Chemistry) and was required to repeat it with a minimum repeated course grade of a C. I took the course this semester, and I received a C in the course. Today, I received an email from my school saying I was dismissed- with no actual reason being stated. In the letter, I was only told that I should plan to transfer to another school or to another university, and if I had extenuating circumstances, I can send in an appeal form.

I have prepared my appeal form- as the last year has consisted of my mom getting into a severe car accident and having injuries that caused a lot of health issues. She was seeing multiple doctors, and her health deteriorated half a year after the accident in terms of pain- causing her to have suicidal thoughts. I was an Out of state student, so I had to juggle responsibilities in school along with making sure she feels supported. The struggle finally came to a calmer time this past semester around November, but by then, I had been struggling with my own anxiety over school and her that my grades had been affected- thus the minimal C requirement met but nothing more than that.

I am sending my appeal in along with her accident report, medical records, etc. However, I am also trying to figure out what the chances are that I will actually win this fight. In addition, does anyone know about if I could transfer to another pharmacy school? Or if there is any option for me at all that involves me staying in pharmacy school somewhere somehow?

I would really appreciate everyone's input whether or not they have been in the same situation- anything any of you have to say will be of value to me.

I dont undertand how they dismissed you for doing the exactly same thing that they asked you to do, i.e. repeating the course for a C ?? If this is true, you should be instated.

Get ahold of the school's policy and catalog and call up a lawyer now.

Hi everyone,

Hmm... the only other reason I can think of why you were dismissed was because the first grade you got lowered your overall GPA below their minimum requirement. So assuming that Rutgers has such requirement, you might have needed a higher grade than a C on your retake to keep your overall GPA above their minimum.

Were you able to get back into the program?