DMU Ortho Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DogZug

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to DMU and want to pursue an ortho residency. How does DMU support students that want to pursue this? Is it easy to get rotations in ortho? Does it have research, especially ortho-specific research? Does it help you get multiple publications?

If there is anyone who went to/goes to DMU that can shed light on these questions that would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I just got accepted to DMU and want to pursue an ortho residency. How does DMU support students that want to pursue this? Is it easy to get rotations in ortho? Does it have research, especially ortho-specific research? Does it help you get multiple publications?

If there is anyone who went to/goes to DMU that can shed light on these questions that would be appreciated!
While it is certainly possible to match ortho out of DO, the numbers show that it gets more and more unlikely every year. If you are absolutely certain about wanting to do orthopedic surgery at this stage of your career, I would recommend exhausting all the options you have to make yourself more competitive for MD before matriculating to a DO school because the odds will be much more against you in the latter case. The chances are very high that you end up down 4 years and 250k and ultimately need to settle for a different specialty. DOs are still full scope physicians just like MDs, but one of the stated goals of the AOA is to improve primary care access, so do not be surprised when that is the most likely outcome for you and your classmates.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Going into ortho as a DO is 100% up to you. Your school isn’t going to help you. Your chances of matching as a DO are about 50/50, as an MD about 60/40. Just get on some research, do well on boards, and do as many aways as you can as a 4th year. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Going into ortho as a DO is 100% up to you. Your school isn’t going to help you. Your chances of matching as a DO are about 50/50, as an MD about 60/40. Just get on some research, do well on boards, and do as many aways as you can as a 4th year. Good luck.
Absolute nonsense. You cannot compare match percentages directly. The self selection on the DO side is much more intense. Why don't you ask any of the DOs on here who matched ortho if they felt like they were only 10% worse off because of their DO status.

Let me put it like this:

If you, as a DO, have an identical app as the average matched MD, then you would have somewhere between 0-10% chance of matching.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Absolute nonsense. You cannot compare match percentages directly. The self selection on the DO side is much more intense. Why don't you ask any of the DOs on here who matched ortho if they felt like they were only 10% worse off because of their DO status.

Let me put it like this:

If you, as a DO, have an identical app as the average matched MD, then you would have somewhere between 0-10% chance of matching.

Nothing like a premed giving extremely critical advice to another premed. The superiority complexes on SDN are insane, now I remember why I stayed off of here.

OP, it is possible to match ortho as a DO, yes it's likely to be an uphill battle. I don't know anything about DMU's match specifically but see if they've ever had it done. If not, that's gonna be a bad sign. Most DO schools are going to push for primary care specialties most likely and have fewer connections for you to get research and such.
But I would not let strangers on the internet who are at the same stage of the Becoming A Doctor Process as you, tell you exactly what percentage chance you have.

Personally I think it is insane and bad advice to forego a year of attending salary to reapply and possibly either A) not get in anywhere that time, or B) get into... DO schools.

Let me put it like this:

You have no idea what you are talking about. That much is clear.

OP don't listen to this guy.

• Love
Honestly, if you wouldn’t be happy in anything other than ortho, go MD even if it means taking time to improve your app

To put it into perspective, some people from my low tier MD school had multiple pubs, good scores, research fellowship and still fail to match. We still get a decent amount per capita but it’s nothing like top MD schools and I imagine matching from DO is even harder than low tier MD

Last edited:
Its actually both at 60/40 surprisingly,, this is because there are many former AOA programs that made it to ACGME that almost exclusively take DO's.

Reactions: 6 users
Its actually both at 60/40 surprisingly,, this is because there are many former AOA programs that made it to ACGME that almost exclusively take DO's.
Obviously hard to compare the two matches due to the reasons listed in various posts above, but matching has lot to do with networking. Considering the already existent self selection for DO schools (most of my peers and myself are interested in DO friendly primary care fields) and the existence of former aoa programs that exclusively take DOs (PCOM has an Ortho program that only takes MDs trained in OMM) consider taking advantage of the few advantages you can extract from being a DO

Honestly, if you wouldn’t be happy in anything other than ortho, go MD even if it means taking time to improve your app

To put it into perspective, some people from my low tier MD school had multiple pubs, good scores, research fellowship and still fail to match. We still get a decent amount per capita but it’s nothing like top MD schools and I imagine matching from DO is even harder than low tier MD

I've heard the MD and DO ortho matches are different games, because they're not competing for the same spots. DO grads (supposedly) mainly apply to former AOA programs, while MD grads apply to the traditional ACGME programs.

If you're gung-ho on a surgical subspecialty as a premed though (which makes no sense to me, since you haven't even rotated in a single specialty yet as a premed), I agree it's probably "less" effort and more worth it to retake the MCAT/improve your GPA & EC's to try to get into an MD program.

This obviously also has to be realistic though, since if you're a 3x MCAT taker unable to break 505 or struggling to maintian A's in a postbacc, it's unlikely you will meet the research/boards/grades requirements that these subspecialties have whether as an MD or DO.

Reactions: 1 user

Let me put it like this:

No. Someone needs to look at some actual data. 0-10% would be true for MD programs only.

The DO programs change the math.

Ortho is an uphill battle, the presence of DO programs makes it a possibility for those that grind towards the goal all of med school. If ortho is your goal then you need to work every single day of med school to make it a reality.

Members don't see this ad :)
:rofl:

Either you are in undergrad or a retired MD who graduated in 1965. Either way you are wrong.
Wow, a DO student desperately clinging to the belief that they will be seen as equal by competitive residencies. What a shocker !

Let me put it like this:

Chill dude. I didn’t say they were only 10 percent worse off. I know how hard it is. I’m applying ortho right now. But to give up a DO acceptance to reapply MD is a huge risk and no guarantee

Also the average DO that matched ortho had lower stats than the average MD so I have no idea what you are talking about.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
I've heard the MD and DO ortho matches are different games, because they're not competing for the same spots. DO grads (supposedly) mainly apply to former AOA programs, while MD grads apply to the traditional ACGME programs.
This is correct. Applying as a DO is very different than applying as an MD. We don’t really compete for spots and DO usually do more sub-i’s than MDs. Like DO’s doing 5-7 while MD’s maybe do 1-3

But to give up a DO acceptance to reapply MD is a huge risk and no guarantee
I agree with this sentiment and parrot it to all the people I meet in person trust me, but for a small subset of students who are truly dead set on a surgical sub from day 1, I think its a risk they should take.

Also I didn't say identical stats, I said identical app. A lot of DO students that are confident enough to bother applying end up doing so because they had or end up making a very strong connection with a leader in the field or they published like a fiend or some other exceptional factor. That's the main way DOs match in my experience. MDs on the other hand can get away with a well rounded app showing some interest in ortho with strong USMLEs.

I agree with this sentiment and parrot it to all the people I meet in person trust me, but for a small subset of students who are truly dead set on a surgical sub from day 1, I think its a risk they should take.

Also I didn't say identical stats, I said identical app. A lot of DO students that are confident enough to bother applying end up doing so because they had or end up making a very strong connection with a leader in the field or they published like a fiend or some other exceptional factor. That's the main way DOs match in my experience. MDs on the other hand can get away with a well rounded app showing some interest in ortho with strong USMLEs.
Once again, your comments would be true if we were talking about traditional MD programs without considering the presence of DO programs (which remain overwhelmingly DO).

But…. We aren’t.

Reactions: 4 users

In your experience? Which is what? Are you applying to match ortho this year or did you do so in the last few years? Do you have observations of classmates who applied ortho? Are you a resident or PD reviewing apps and conducting interviews?

No? Didn't think so.

We can all read match data. DMU having matched 7 people into ortho last year is more than I've seen at some MD schools.

It's ridiculous of you to be so arrogantly spouting bad advice. The only situation I can think of for someone to give up an A is if the school is later revealed to be on shaky accreditation ground & the applicant didn't know before applying.
The app process is a complete crapshoot sometimes and they may not get lucky a second time. How bad would OP feel if they reapplied, didn't get in anywhere, and thus won't be a doctor of ANY kind?

Nothing like a premed giving extremely critical advice to another premed. The superiority complexes on SDN are insane, now I remember why I stayed off of here.

OP, it is possible to match ortho as a DO, yes it's likely to be an uphill battle. I don't know anything about DMU's match specifically but see if they've ever had it done. If not, that's gonna be a bad sign. Most DO schools are going to push for primary care specialties most likely and have fewer connections for you to get research and such.
But I would not let strangers on the internet who are at the same stage of the Becoming A Doctor Process as you, tell you exactly what percentage chance you have.

Personally I think it is insane and bad advice to forego a year of attending salary to reapply and possibly either A) not get in anywhere that time, or B) get into... DO schools.
DMU has matched 100% of those who wanted ortho the past 2 years. 7/7 2022, and 6/6 2021. So definitely not bad. I would definitely not reapply in hopes of an MD acceptance. That'd be insane!

DMU has matched 100% of those who wanted ortho the past 2 years. 7/7 2022, and 6/6 2021. So definitely not bad. I would definitely not reapply in hopes of an MD acceptance. That'd be insane!
That is a better match rate than my somewhat prestigious MD school had for ortho last year. There were some extenuating factors that may have affected ours, but still...a 100% match really ain't shabby. If this is your only acceptance (which is really tbd since it's only Sep), I really wouldn't turn it down just for that. If you get into an MD school or a DO school with an in-house ortho residency, you might have to really weigh your options.

DMU is clearly doing just fine when it comes to matching into ortho. If you're still concerned, it might be helpful to reach out to them and try to get an understanding of what resources are available that will help make you a competitive applicant, and how they will help you with the process. You can also see if they'll connect you with a current student (assuming one doesn't show up here), preferably one who has expessed interest in ortho. In my experience, once a school has accepted you, they are super willing to help you get the resources you need to make an informed decision.

In your experience? Which is what? Are you applying to match ortho this year or did you do so in the last few years? Do you have observations of classmates who applied ortho? Are you a resident or PD reviewing apps and conducting interviews?

No? Didn't think so.

We can all read match data. DMU having matched 7 people into ortho last year is more than I've seen at some MD schools.

It's ridiculous of you to be so arrogantly spouting bad advice. The only situation I can think of for someone to give up an A is if the school is later revealed to be on shaky accreditation ground & the applicant didn't know before applying.
The app process is a complete crapshoot sometimes and they may not get lucky a second time. How bad would OP feel if they reapplied, didn't get in anywhere, and thus won't be a doctor of ANY kind?
I have cousins and friends in both allopathic and osteopathic schools whom I talked to about this particular topic in depth when I was considering retaking the MCAT or applying AACOMAS and moving on. All of the osteopathic school people gave the same sentiment about them and their classmates needing to be literal superstars just to be held equal to an MD with a decent scores in the surgical subs.

I absolutely concede that @DOVinciRobot may be right, AFAIK there were only a handful of AOA surgical subspecialty programs, so I'm surprised to hear that it makes such a difference.

But as far the people claiming the DO stigma ended in 1965 or that its only a few percentage points worth of disadvantage, well... somebody's gotta do the arrogant spouting of good* advice around here.

How could you possibly know exactly how many people wanted ortho to begin with? Because everyone who ended up applying ortho matched, is not the same as everyone who wanted ortho getting it.

People realize that soaping or going unmatched is not a fun experience, and they self select out.

Also you cant compare the numbers to random MD schools of your choosing because again, you have no way of knowing how many students wanted ortho to begin with at the MD school being compared.

DMU had 7 ortho match, but they also had 55 FMs, large number of community IM and peds out of 200 students. Mine had 8 FM out of 180 in 2022. You have to be comfortable with PC if you attend any DO schools and DMU is no exception.

I know for a fact that isn’t true and DMU has matched about 50% of their ortho applicants during those years.
I absolutely concede that @DOVinciRobot may be right, AFAIK there were only a handful of AOA surgical subspecialty programs, so I'm surprised to hear that it makes such a difference.
In ortho there are ~115 DO slots and the former DO programs take mainly DOs because MDs don’t spend their aways on DO programs. In ortho audition rotations are king.

But as far the people claiming the DO stigma ended in 1965 or that its only a few percentage points worth of disadvantage, well... somebody's gotta do the arrogant spouting of good* advice around here.
As someone who has been giving DOs real talk for many years now, you have to actually know your data. Arrogantly spouting off nonsense doesn’t do any good.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I know for a fact that isn’t true and DMU has matched about 50% of their ortho applicants during those years.
I spoke with the school about it and with 2 students who are currently pursuing ortho there. Idk, I don't believe they would misguide me on the match rate for the school. Maybe I misinterpreted what they said, I wouldn't want to be giving false info.

The 0-10% chance for traditional ACGME MD prorgrams is also probably way off, it’s prbly closer to 40-45% given that every year DO’s match to traditional acgme places and you have no idea how people do their rank lists…

DMU had 7 ortho match, but they also had 55 FMs, large number of community IM and peds out of 200 students. Mine had 8 FM out of 180 in 2022. You have to be comfortable with PC if you attend any DO schools and DMU is no exception.
So the rest of the 172 matches were Uber competitive matches? HIGHLY doubt it

You need to be comfortable with primary care as a DO. Even my low tier MD school has about 5 ortho matches per year out of like 90 students. Adjusted to a DMU rate, it would be about 15. I’m guessing OP would have a much easier time matching ortho from a place like this, When reading DO match lists, one has to be careful because most of the classes are huge.

Also this is a lie. Even schools like Cornell, Case, Pitt etc. don't have ortho match rates like that

The students you talked to are likely lulling themselves into a false sense of self confidence about their chances to match

Let me put it like this:

How did you calculate these odds? Ortho is competitive, but odds are probably 30-40 percent just based on numbers, and likely higher if OP had high scores and research. Plenty of DO applicants applied with average stats and little research when I was still reviewing applications (4 years ago), but I hear that’s changing. There are over 100 spots that were historically DO and still predominantly take DOs.

Odds probably not too much better as an MD. match rate was less than 70 percent last year IIRC for MDs. And that is from a highly qualified, motivated, self selected group of applicants.

I don't believe they would misguide me on the match rate for the school
You don't believe a school would choose to spin the metrics it gives out in the way that paints it in the most positive light possible?

You need to be comfortable with primary care as a DO. Even my low tier MD school has about 5 ortho matches per year out of like 90 students. Adjusted to a DMU rate, it would be about 15. I’m guessing OP would have a much easier time matching ortho from a place like this, When reading DO match lists, one has to be careful because most of the classes are huge.
5/90 is hardly a guarantee tho.. the match rates for Ortho specifically are the same for md and do’s… that’s the bottom line..

• Dislike
You are correct. The remaining 172 did not match uber competitive stuff. We had 32 IM matched to places like stanford, U Mich, UCLA, Emory, U Pen, U Wash, U Colorado, Beth isreal, etc.. All good U programs, except for 6 places. Also had a good number of matches in gen surg, nuero surg, ortho, thoracic, plastic, ent, optho, urology, IR/DR, Anes, etc... The nice thing is, lots matched to our home program with specialty in ALL the above mentioned specialties. That is the nice thing about it.

the match rates for Ortho specifically are the same for md and do’s… that’s the bottom line..
Man you must've had a rough time on CARS. Half the people in this thread are trying to explain exactly why that's not the bottom line. There are confounding variables here including but not limited to self selection out of applying.

Going unmatched has bad consequences so students end up applying to a safer specialty and not showing up on the match statistics. Self selection out of trying to match competitive specialties is more common at DO schools. Thus, those similar match rates cannot be taken at face value.

Man you must've had a rough time on CARS. Half the people in this thread are trying to explain exactly why that's not the bottom line. There are confounding variables here including but not limited to self selection out of applying.

Going unmatched has bad consequences so students end up applying to a safer specialty and not showing up on the match statistics. Self selection out of trying to match competitive specialties is more common at DO schools. Thus, those similar match rates cannot be taken at face value.
Yea how many 220 step 2 USMD’s you know that are cakewalking into a ortho spot? Self selection also happens at USMD so by that logic you can’t take the USMD match rates at face value either…

Yea how many 220 step 2 USMD’s you know that are cakewalking into a ortho spot? Self selection also happens at USMD so by that logic you can’t take the USMD match rates at face value either…
Yeah... I didn't deny that. I said that the only way match rates would be comparable if the amount of self selection were equal between MD and DO which it is most definitely not.... self selection is higher at DO schools so their match rate is more inflated and thus not comparable. You really need to work on your reading comp, brother.

Actually, this is likely not true, for Ortho at least. Historical DO programs take students based on rotation performance. There were tons of students (probably half the applicants actually 4 years ago) who hoped to outwork high academic achievers on their rotations, with very average application.

MD applicants were more self selected IMO. You’d get laughed out of room at almost every MD program with a 220 step 1. Not so much at DO programs. They were more holistic in selection process (liked high academic achievers but still favored those who worked hard on rotation and got along).

Source: I’m a DO Ortho attending and was intimately involved in resident selection process. Have friends who attended DO programs all over the country, it was similar at most programs. Some programs were more hard up on board scores than others.

Reactions: 4 users
Actually, this is likely not true, for Ortho at least. Historical DO programs take students based on rotation performance. There were tons of students (probably half the applicants actually 4 years ago) who hoped to outwork high academic achievers on their rotations, with very average application.

MD applicants were more self selected IMO. You’d get laughed out of room at almost every MD program with a 220 step 1. Not so much at DO programs. They were more holistic in selection process (liked high academic achievers but still favored those who worked hard on rotation and got along).

Source: I’m a DO Ortho attending and was intimately involved in resident selection process. Have friends who attended DO programs all over the country, it was similar at most programs. Some programs were more hard up on board scores than others.
Exactly my point, even in stuff like ent or optho DO programs, although there is less of them in the DO world.

Yeah... I didn't deny that. I said that the only way match rates would be comparable if the amount of self selection were equal between MD and DO which it is most definitely not.... self selection is higher at DO schools so their match rate is more inflated and thus not comparable. You really need to work on your reading comp, brother.
“Inflated” the people who put in work, get decent scores and crush auditions often match surgical subs at former aoa programs, DO schools just attract more people interested in primary care

Wow, a DO student desperately clinging to the belief that they will be seen as equal by competitive residencies. What a shocker !
You 100% need to be realistic. Any surgical sub is hard and it is even more challenging coming from a DO school but 10%? Would love to see the data on that.

I'm under no illusions that competitive residencies are not going to see us as "equal" but there are former AOA spots and you can match, you just better be ready to grind for that spot. A lot of students live in fairy world about where or what specialty they will match into. However, for those who know what they want and set themselves up, they can make it happen.

@DogZug if you want insights on matching surgery or ortho as a DO I highly recommend reading posts from @DNC127 and others who have matched.

• Love
Not just some research, it has to be meaningful research with publication.

I spoke with the school about it and with 2 students who are currently pursuing ortho there. Idk, I don't believe they would misguide me on the match rate for the school. Maybe I misinterpreted what they said, I wouldn't want to be giving false info.
Boyyyy have I got some news for you about DO schools.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
All I want to say is the match result of a school is just a result of effort from the individual students. Just remember they can do it not necessarily translate into you can do it. DMU had students match into orthopod it does not mean you can match. Just do not get the idea that going to a certain school would allow you to match into a certain specialty. Let me just use an example, there is a St George's graduate who is doing his 2nd year CT surgery fellowship, can we say "students from St George's can match into CT surgery"? I do not think so. If OP is set to orthopod then he just needs to do what he has to do, such as kill USMLE, honor his audition rotation, research, and publication in order to match into his dream specialty but do not forget to have a backup plan just incase you do not match into orthopod. Even MD schools have students who do not match not to mention DO.

All I want to say is the match result of a school is just a result of effort from the individual students. Just remember they can do it not necessarily translate into you can do it. DMU had students match into orthopod it does not mean you can match. Just do not get the idea that going to a certain school would allow you to match into a certain specialty. Let me just use an example, there is a St George's graduate who is doing his 2nd year CT surgery fellowship, can we say "students from St George's can match into CT surgery"? I do not think so. If OP is set to orthopod then he just needs to do what he has to do, such as kill USMLE, honor his audition rotation, research, and publication in order to match into his dream specialty but do not forget to have a backup plan just incase you do not match into orthopod. Even MD schools have students who do not match not to mention DO.
This just isn’t true. It’s basically implying that students at Harvard, JHU, UCSF put in more effort than students at say Wayne State, UCF, MCW etc. If matches reflect effort of students, then it implies the superior matches of top schools are all due to student effort. This can’t be true if one looks at USMLE scores for each school

Multiple people didn't match ortho, but did match backup specialties.

Source: I know these people

DO Ortho match rate this year will be ~50% nationwide and is getting worse every year with school expansion. Buckle up.

Reactions: 6 users