DO: 3.7 GPA, 21 MCAT, paramedic. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oregonian89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MCAT score is terrible. I'm so stressed. On the first MCAT, I had spent months studying, and when it came to take the test, I had to travel up to Seattle (from Eugene, OR) to take my exam. I was so nervous I made myself sick and I tanked the exam with a 21. After speaking with a DO student, she said the Kaplan style (which I studied with) didn't do well for her either, and she suggested a different study method. I changed my study techniques, took the MCAT 2 months later and ended up with an 18. I know, please, I know. I wish I knew what happened. I'm really hoping that my other factors will weigh in. Here are my stats:

GPA- 3.7
Paramedic degree
EMT experience
100+ hrs Teaching/volunteer experience
100+ hrs volunteering as a church leader

My #1 choice is COMP-Northwest in Lebanon, OR. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, other factors do play into DO admissions...
However, I believe that an 21/18 will be screened by admissions. I think it was a bad idea to take the MCAT just 2 months after...
Do you plan on retaking your MCAT? If you are....PM me. I will try to help you as much as I can....

I do not suggest you apply this cycle though.

Thanks for your response. I should have included that I've already applied to a variety of DO schools and received secondaries from:

COMP-Northwest
COMP-Pomona
Marian
VCOM
WVSOM
AZCOM
Alabama COM
ATSU-SOMA
Touro-Vallejo
PNWU-COM
University of New England COM
MSU-COM
LMU-COM
OU-HCOM

And yeah, I really regret taking it 2 months after. I was trying to hurry to get into this cycle early.

Members don't see this ad :)
My MCAT score is terrible. I'm so stressed. On the first MCAT, I had spent months studying, and when it came to take the test, I had to travel up to Seattle (from Eugene, OR) to take my exam. I was so nervous I made myself sick and I tanked the exam with a 21. After speaking with a DO student, she said the Kaplan style (which I studied with) didn't do well for her either, and she suggested a different study method. I changed my study techniques, took the MCAT 2 months later and ended up with an 18. I know, please, I know. I wish I knew what happened. I'm really hoping that my other factors will weigh in. Here are my stats:

GPA- 3.7
Paramedic degree
EMT experience

Retake and get a 28+. At this point you are dead in the water. Apply next cycle.

Your chances are zero with an 18 as your most recent score. Study hard, retake it in january, get a 26+, apply next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Tough to face. Thanks for the feedback. I guess we'll see what happens with the secondaries I was sent, but this doesn't look like my year.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Those schools will be more than happy to take your money, but please save your money and don't submit any of those secondaries! The fees add up quickly and it seems like a huge waste of time and money on your part. Unfortunately, your chances are essentially nil.

Best of luck to you next cycle. There have been others here on SDN who have been in your shoes and have overcome these types of setbacks to become medical students. Study hard.

Thanks for your response. I should have included that I've already applied to a variety of DO schools and received secondaries from:

COMP-Northwest
COMP-Pomona
Marian
VCOM
WVSOM
AZCOM
Alabama COM
ATSU-SOMA
Touro-Vallejo
PNWU-COM
University of New England COM
MSU-COM
LMU-COM
OU-HCOM

And yeah, I really regret taking it 2 months after. I was trying to hurry to get into this cycle early.
You might have a slim shot at a few of those. I would only submit secondaries to LMU, WVSOM, COMP-NW, PNWU, VCOM, ACOM, and SOMA.

You're wasting your money. COMP doesn't accept anyone with under a 24.

Being an Oregonian myself, I was recently placed on hold for Lebanon campus myself with 3.5/26mcat. Your numbers are definitely harder to work with.

That being said, you should look into being involved with OPSO and their events. Dr. Pham and Jeannie Davis are great people to know and they give out great advice in how to get accepted into comp-NW. Good luck!

You might have a slim shot at a few of those. I would only submit secondaries to LMU, WVSOM, COMP-NW, PNWU, VCOM, ACOM, and SOMA.

You must have skipped over the part where his most recent score is 18.

Being an Oregonian myself, I was recently placed on hold for Lebanon campus myself with 3.5/26mcat. Your numbers are definitely harder to work with.

That being said, you should look into being involved with OPSO and their events. Dr. Pham and Jeannie Davis are great people to know and they give out great advice in how to get accepted into comp-NW. Good luck!

Thanks for that info. Yeah, I've gone to the OPSO events every month! Dr. Pham is great and I've been in contact w/ Jeannie as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
But in regards to your application for this cycle, you really shouldn't return any of those secondaries. I know how you feel. Everyone had that mentality of "what if I make it" or " you don't know until you actually try". But realistically speaking, your mcat score is not at the risk taking level yet. You have a great GPA, but it will not offset your mcat at this point.

On the other hand, if you really really wan to go through with this application this cycle and if you are scheduled for a retake for this winter and you feel ready, you best to indicate that retake in your secondaries. Save your money and think wisely about it! Study hard, you can do it!

I am an EMT with a 3.22 gpa overall, 3.23 science and 3.21 overall. My MCAT was 27 - anybody have any thoughts on me getting accepted? Not an URM.

I am an EMT with a 3.22 gpa overall, 3.23 science and 3.21 overall. My MCAT was 27 - anybody have any thoughts on me getting accepted? Not an URM.

pretty good. Not great but okay. similar to my stats.
recommend
LECOMs
VCOMs
WVSOM
LMU
MU
PCOM-GA
maybe maybe NOVA
and last but not least, but please don't unless you are one of those young earth, diehard christians - Liberty

recommend
LECOMs
VCOMs
WVSOM
LMU
MU
PCOM-GA
maybe maybe NOVA
and last but not least, but please don't unless you are one of those young earth, diehard christians - Liberty

I think DOC has a shot at nova. More competitive then the others ones but he has a shot.

Where you from doc?

Florida. Idk, I'm just f!&,ing with you.

recommend
LECOMs
VCOMs
WVSOM
LMU
MU
PCOM-GA
maybe maybe NOVA
Thanks for the list - great!
I think DOC has a shot at nova. More competitive then the others ones but he has a shot.

Where you from doc?

Illinois

What's your MCAT breakdown? Also, what were you averaging on your AAMC practice exams?

Imo, if you use EK101 passages for verbal, Berkeley Review for PS/BS and do a ton of practice sets, I can almost guarantee you wont score less than a 25.

Chances are pretty much zero. You've got to get over that test taking anxiety, or you'll fail Boards, even if you make it through med school.

GPA- 3.7
Paramedic degree
EMT experience

Chances are pretty much zero. You've got to get over that test taking anxiety, or you'll fail Boards, even if you make it through med school.

Here are some preliminary resources: http://www.studygs.net/tstprp8.htm, http://www.testtakingtips.com/anxiety/index.htm, http://www.ets.org/s/praxis/pdf/reducing_test_anxiety.pdf. Also - and this sounds way out there, but I do not think it is, if you are still at University - see a counselor there (they deal with this all the time). Best of luck.

GPA- 3.7
Paramedic degree
EMT experience

Here are some preliminary resources: http://www.studygs.net/tstprp8.htm, http://www.testtakingtips.com/anxiety/index.htm,http://www.ets.org/s/praxis/pdf/reducing_test_anxiety.pdf. Also - and this sounds way out there, but I do not think it is, if you are still at University - see a counselor there (they deal with this all the time). Best of luck.

I agree with everyone's answer regarding your chance. Now you need a little encouragement, look forward, and keep trying harder and harder after failures. your background is good enough already, the only thing now you have to overcome is the MCAT. I truly understand your emotion, disappointment because I have been through the same thing. I got a 20 MCAT (7PS/5VR/8BS) first time, 23 (9PS/4VR/10BS) second time, and 26 (10PS/6VR/10BS) third time. I myself felt really disappointed at the second time MCAT result because of my verbal even though my English is ESL; but I never give up hope because it is not my MCAT practice average which is around 28. I suck at verbal; so I dont know how to give you advice, but for science sections, I am sure you can score at least 10 if you keep practicing over and over again, write down all the questions that you missed from the practice tests and seriously go over them . One more tip is that you should keep your mind relaxed and refresh, that is how I did for the 3rd time retake. That is my encouragement to you, and I am sure you can do it if you truly have passion for learning medicine and practicing medicine to improve community health. Your passion for medicine is really important for this life-long learning process and it will lead you to your ultimate goal at the end. what you want never comes right away, it needs time and your effort into it. So, Just be patient, diligent, and committed to what you love and have passion for.... I wish you all the best in any path you choose to follow.

Reactions: 3 users
No chance this cycle.

What are your subscores like?

I know someone who had a panic attack their first go and scored in the mid-teens. Took them some time, but they brought their score up much higher with good prep. You can too.

For anyone reading this post in the future - rest easy. I was accepted to PNWU and invited to interview at ACOM. My background and GPA paid off. Good luck!

Congrats on landing an acceptance with an 18 for your most recent attempt.

Make sure you put a ton of effort into studying for boards.

For anyone reading this post in the future - rest easy. I was accepted to PNWU and invited to interview at ACOM. My background and GPA paid off. Good luck!

Brah this came out of nowhere.

idk if u trolling or nah

stick with PNWU. Don't bother with the ACOM interview.

Hi, other factors do play into DO admissions...
However, I believe that an 21/18 will be screened by admissions. I think it was a bad idea to take the MCAT just 2 months after...
Do you plan on retaking your MCAT? If you are....PM me. I will try to help you as much as I can....

I do not suggest you apply this cycle though.

Retake and get a 28+. At this point you are dead in the water. Apply next cycle.

Your chances are zero with an 18 as your most recent score. Study hard, retake it in january, get a 26+, apply next cycle.

@oregonian89 ... I suggest a retake in November. 18 is too low... You will need a 24+

I agree with everyone's answer regarding your chance. Now you need a little encouragement, look forward, and keep trying harder and harder after failures. your background is good enough already, the only thing now you have to overcome is the MCAT. I truly understand your emotion, disappointment because I have been through the same thing. I got a 20 MCAT (7PS/5VR/8BS) first time, 23 (9PS/4VR/10BS) second time, and 26 (10PS/6VR/10BS) third time. I myself felt really disappointed at the second time MCAT result because of my verbal even though my English is ESL; but I never give up hope because it is not my MCAT practice average which is around 28. I suck at verbal; so I dont know how to give you advice, but for science sections, I am sure you can score at least 10 if you keep practicing over and over again, write down all the questions that you missed from the practice tests and seriously go over them . One more tip is that you should keep your mind relaxed and refresh, that is how I did for the 3rd time retake. That is my encouragement to you, and I am sure you can do it if you truly have passion for learning medicine and practicing medicine to improve community health. Your passion for medicine is really important for this life-long learning process and it will lead you to your ultimate goal at the end. what you want never comes right away, it needs time and your effort into it. So, Just be patient, diligent, and committed to what you love and have passion for.... I wish you all the best in any path you choose to follow.

You're going to want to retake your MCAT.

No chance this cycle.

What are your subscores like?

I know someone who had a panic attack their first go and scored in the mid-teens. Took them some time, but they brought their score up much higher with good prep. You can too.

He actually landed an acceptance. I was probably the only person here to not respond along the lines of "don't apply".

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry, but that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. But congrats to him/her.

There are always going to be outliers, just as there are always going to be Lotto winners. That said, lotteries are still a tax on the mathematically challenged, and OP has displayed a lot of behavior contrary to med student success. Kids like that appear in front of our "Student Fate" committee all the time.

It's always best to give realistic advice, not hugs and kisses.

He actually landed an acceptance. I was probably the only person here to not respond along the lines of "don't apply".

Reactions: 8 users
I love a good underdog, but 7 posts and a miraculous acceptance story? Sorry, I don't buy it.

I love a good underdog, but 7 posts and a miraculous acceptance story? Sorry, I don't buy it.

Why would OP lie though? The only logical reason is to save face but his account is anonymous. As Goro said there are normally outliers, but I would suspect with a 21--18 MCAT trend one would have to s*** gold during an interview..and of course trade the gold for an acceptance. duh.

oregonian89 how did you defend your MCAT? That almost certainly had to be a point of discussion, amma right???
And of course, congrats on the acceptance..

Possibilities include being URM, veteran, having a compelling life story, stunning ECs, or being a legacy.

oregonian89 how did you defend your MCAT? That almost certainly had to be a point of discussion, amma right???

Reactions: 2 users
What was the breakdown on this 18? Congrats to OP, but man, that's a low score.

Damn, I haven't seen so much PJSalt over someone getting an acceptance in a while. I guess the OP was very impressive in interviews, which is something that you can't really predict on SDN.

Congrats, OP, and good luck on the boards. You're going to need it.

Its possible (statistically speaking) but highly unlikely.

He'd have to have one amazing story and a very convincing interview.

Even so, I'd be very concerned about OP's ability to pass the STEPs and become board certified.

I think if he was a statistical anomaly he would be in here bragging about it a lot more. Or at least monitoring the thread for curiousity's sake. Not just leave a two sentence update and never return.

Very happy for the OP (if true). I now believe in miracles!

But congrats OP on your success.