Do ADCOMs Look at cGPA and sGPA by Semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alienman52

Straight from the Mothership
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just had a quick question about the ways adcoms look at GPAs.

I heard from someone that if you apply early, that ADCOMs will look at GPA by semester, which is really important in my case when looking at my stats: (but if you apply later then they just look at stats as a whole)

At first glance, I have a 3.34cGPA 3.29sGPA (501&500MCAT)
Freshman year was:
3.04 cGPA 2.83 sGPA
Soph year was:
3.43 cGPA 3.46 sGPA
Junior year was:
3.51 cGPA 3.40 sGPA

I think its imperative that admissions committees see my upward trend, as I have an average of 3.47 cGPA and 3.43 sGPA (which is just about average for DO matriculants with cGPA being 3.53 and sGPA being exactly 3.43) for my last 68 credit hours. (whereas my freshman year was only 32 total credit hours.) Id rather them see my soph and junior year grade averages without my freshman year so they can see that I can handle upper level science coursework.

Does anyone know if they look at a semester-by-semester trend? I'd really like them to see an upward trend. @Goro any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

This is exactly how we see it. We also have access to your transcripts so I like to see how you did with Biology courses as you progressed.

This is a very nice upward trend.

Hi all,

I just had a quick question about the ways adcoms look at GPAs.

I heard from someone that if you apply early, that ADCOMs will look at GPA by semester, which is really important in my case when looking at my stats: (but if you apply later then they just look at stats as a whole)

At first glance, I have a 3.34cGPA 3.29sGPA (501&500MCAT)
Freshman year was:
3.04 cGPA 2.83 sGPA
Soph year was:
3.43 cGPA 3.46 sGPA
Junior year was:
3.51 cGPA 3.40 sGPA

I think its imperative that admissions committees see my upward trend, as I have an average of 3.47 cGPA and 3.43 sGPA (which is just about average for DO matriculants with cGPA being 3.53 and sGPA being exactly 3.43) for my last 68 credit hours. (whereas my freshman year was only 32 total credit hours.) Id rather them see my soph and junior year grade averages without my freshman year so they can see that I can handle upper level science coursework.

Does anyone know if they look at a semester-by-semester trend? I'd really like them to see an upward trend. @Goro any thoughts on this?

Reactions: 2 users
This is exactly how we see it. We also have access to your transcripts so I like to see how you did with Biology courses as you progressed.

This is a very nice upward trend.
Thanks for the reply.

Is it usually reported as an average GPA, a by semester GPA, or both?

For example would an admissions officer see:
Sophomore Semester 1 = 3.18
Sophomore Semester 2 = 3.68
Junior Semester 1 = 3.35
Junior Semester 2 = 3.66

Or just Sophomore average = 3.43
Junior Average = 3.51

Members don't see this ad :)
AACOMAS shows it as year by year. We can see semester by semester from your transcript

Thanks for the reply.

Is it usually reported as an average GPA, a by semester GPA, or both?

For example would an admissions officer see:
Sophomore Semester 1 = 3.18
Sophomore Semester 2 = 3.68
Junior Semester 1 = 3.35
Junior Semester 2 = 3.66

Or just Sophomore average = 3.43
Junior Average = 3.51

Reactions: 1 user
AACOMAS shows it as year by year. We can see semester by semester from your transcript
Ah I see. Not to be annoying lol but AACOMAS shows cGPA AND sGPA by year, correct? not just cGPA?

But can they see year by year trend right along side the overall sGPA and cGPA on the app, or do they need to dig further to find it for each applicant?

Because if so then I think I got quite an abrupt, positive sGPA trend to show: 2.10->3.43->3.64->3.72

But can they see year by year trend right along side the overall sGPA and cGPA on the app, or do they need to dig further to find it for each applicant?

Because if so then I think I got quite an abrupt, positive sGPA trend to show: 2.10->3.43->3.64->3.72

Good question. Thoughts @Goro?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

OMG this thread just made me so happy! I had the same trend as Doctor Strange and have been very worried that my GPA would not been seen as competitive even though it is very competitive after my first year! :claps::claps::claps::claps:

Once verified you can see exactly what adcoms see, as you can from the AACOMAS site download what is sent to each school, minus LOR's of course.

All of the above said an upward trend doesn't completely make up for a really poor c/sgpa.

Once verified you can see exactly what adcoms see, as you can from the AACOMAS site download what is sent to each school, minus LOR's of course.

All of the above said an upward trend doesn't completely make up for a really poor c/sgpa.

I agree I suppose in relative terms, especially if one's overall GPAs hover below 3.25.

Do they also show credit hours per year as well? I typically did 9 credit hours summer fall and spring since I worked full time. Are credit hours per year taken into account with upward trend? Ex. I had a year in 2011 where I did 15 credits the entire year and had a 2.21 for that year. Last year I did 28 credit hours with a 3.96.

Do they also show credit hours per year as well? I typically did 9 credit hours summer fall and spring since I worked full time. Are credit hours per year taken into account with upward trend? Ex. I had a year in 2011 where I did 15 credits the entire year and had a 2.21 for that year. Last year I did 28 credit hours with a 3.96.

Necro Bump, but yes I do believe they show credit hours. If the grades are shown adcom's can just calculate the number of credit hours anyway (assuming each class is 3-4).

Yes.

Upward trends are always good. Your having to work while schooling will be taken into account. You're always expected to excel, but later grades will most likely be taken more seriously than earlier ones.

Does that year to year report include post-baccs as well?

June seems like years ago...

Reactions: 1 users