Do CASPer results really not matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highspeed983

Reaction score
The common response on Reddit is that the results really do not matter. Is that really true? I scored first quartile, and I am pretty nervous that this will hold me back. How much do schools use the results in deciding to offer an interview?

edit: would addressing this on my secondary help me? for example for schools that require casper, could I address it in an "anything else" essay

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Bro. Same. I know it's considered fairly heavily by some of my top schools and I did so much worse than I expected. How is this stuff even relevant? It's not even a test of ethics it's just making assumptions about life experiences and circumstances. I see what everyone is saying now calling it a money grabbing scheme

Bro. Same. I know it's considered fairly heavily by some of my top schools and I did so much worse than I expected. How is this stuff even relevant? It's not even a test of ethics it's just making assumptions about life experiences and circumstances. I see what everyone is saying now calling it a money grabbing scheme
Ugh, I know. I felt like I followed the algorithm to a tee for most of my answers. I know I got pretty flustered for the video portion but I did not think I did bad enough to get first quartile. At least now I know I really need to practice for my interviews (if I get any after this)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know but I would say you should definitely not address it in your secondaries. Just seems unnecessary/ like a bad idea.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know but I would say you should definitely not address it in your secondaries. Just seems unnecessary/ like a bad idea.
Agree. If you have a secondary prompt that asks "Anything else you would like us to know?" you want to use that space for something positive or interesting about yourself.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I don't believe the video portion was graded this cycle, so your quartile should only be based on your written portion

I don't believe the video portion was graded this cycle, so your quartile should only be based on your written portion
I think I remember that now. I was using the video portion as an excuse but I guess I really am a sociopath. Ouch

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
I think I remember that now. I was using the video portion as an excuse but I guess I really am a sociopath. Ouch
I am also freaking out because I got the lowest quartile as well with 513 MCAT and 3.80 GPA, even though the rest of my application is extremely strong. Unfortunately, I am a TX resident and all my schools require this test

I got the lowest quartile as well with 513 MCAT and 3.80 GPA, even though the rest of my application is extremely strong
Literally same. I am a PA resident, and of course, Penn State and Commonwealth both require it. I feel like my application is tanked, and I am just blowing money out the window with these secondaries.

I am also freaking out because I got the lowest quartile as well with 513 MCAT and 3.80 GPA, even though the rest of my application is extremely strong. Unfortunately, I am a TX resident and all my schools require this test
@satdixon, nobody knows the answer about how important the CASPer results are to the Texas schools. I know you are worried about it right now but you have spent a lot of effort building your application over the last few years so don't let this cause you to lose your confidence over all you have achieved.

I think it's a part of your application that varies wildly in importance depending on the school. If a school is using it to dissuade people from applying to their school and don't see it as having much validity, then I think it wouldn't matter much. If a school believes it is a great test of character it will matter alot. I would guess most schools are in the middle on this. How much it moves the needle down will depend on the school and your other factors.

Agreed that many schools seem ambivalent about it. Personally scored 2nd quartile but will be matriculating to a USMD that required it. I was told that they're still gauging its validity and don't really give it much weight unless your writing/interview performance feels borderline.

Agreed that many schools seem ambivalent about it. Personally scored 2nd quartile but will be matriculating to a USMD that required it. I was told that they're still gauging its validity and don't really give it much weight unless your writing/interview performance feels borderline.

Can you DM me your stats? I think my essays are solid but I was really hoping my Casper would offset my mcat and was completely wrong

Can you DM me your stats? I think my essays are solid but I was really hoping my Casper would offset my mcat and was completely wrong
@satdixon LizzyM score of 76.6 so my stats didn't exactly hurt me. I would say 513 and 3.8 are solid and won't really cut you off from most programs. Again they'll likely scrutinize your secondaries and activities before Casper is really even looked at.

it is one of those test that if you do bad, it may hurt you. If you do well, it will not help you.

they won’t prevent you from getting interviews. Scores bad both cycles and got plenty of IIs from schools that required it.

Reactions: 1 users
Non-trad, average MCAT, 3.8 GPA, 1st quartile CASPER and will be attending a school that requires it.

Personally, I think it's one of the most catastrophically poor tests I've ever taken. Given the subjective and complex nature of the questions themselves I don't see how it has the capability to test for any of the stated characteristics outside of a very narrow range of responses. Rather, it seems that it tests how well the student has memorized and implemented an algorithm for responding that best matches the system. In order to remain "impartial" and scientifically valid, the scoring model would have to establish a clearly defined set of acceptable responses, which I would wager includes specific keywords or phrases, especially since there are potentially so many different people responsible for grading the tests. Of course, they don't tell us the methodology they use to grade, so there is no way to know if our scores are either entirely subjective (which given the extremely regimented psychological underpinnings they imply seems unlikely) or it is in fact so rigid that if you don't say a specific phrase or keyword you are penalized despite giving a potentially excellent response that a seasoned admissions committee member would appreciate.

It reminded me of the MMI format used during several of my interviews. The same types of questions were asked and I responded the same way I did to the CASPER questions yet I performed well enough that my 1st quartile CAPER score didn't disqualify me. In fact, I was accepted to three schools, two of which used MMI formats that mirrored the CASPER and SJT.

There seems to be a push to rigorously quantify a set of inherently subjective qualities that most people agree makes good physicians. But by creating these strange algorithmic personality tests you end up losing all of the nonverbal elements of communication or creativity that you can't quantify so easily that make up a large part of more traditional interviews that are being done away with. How do you quantify charisma, confidence, empathy, or even basic communication skills without relying on the subjective opinions of the graders?

I don't feel confident this will serve future applicants well. It will only reward more neuroticism. The process is already onerous enough...I don't believe that weeding out potentially great physicians because they didn't say the correct phrase on an answer key despite giving a creative, well-considered response is the right direction. Then again I'm not a psychologist, so maybe I'm entirely out of my depth and complaining to nobody. Or perhaps I just didn't type fast enough. There's no way for me to know.

Reactions: 4 users