DO Chances? Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

garrettp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to the newer DO schools. More volunteering to the less fortunate I would recommend . More clinical time

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
White male, NY resident
BA in sociology, large state university (graduated 2014)
Non-trad, been working for 3 years as assistant statistician at criminal justice policy center

3.67 cGPA, 3.40 sGPA (did DIY post-bacc at local community college -- mix of A's and B's)
501 MCAT... 122 CP subscore :(

2000 non-healthcare volunteer hrs (school mentor)
100 healthcare volunteering hrs (hospice)
100 hours of research (neuroscience lab during undergrad; no pubs)
30 hours of shadowing (DO doc - family medicine)

4 LoRs: 1 from bio prof, 1 from bio lab instructor, 1 from poli sci prof, and 1 from DO doc

Only interested in primary care. No regional preferences (I don't mind leaving NY).

Do I have a shot at getting into a DO program? Any recommendations for my school list? How broadly should I apply?

Thanks!!!
Apply broadly, especially targeting the newest schools as mentioned above. SKIP:
CCOM, AZCOM, the coastal Touros,
I can't recommend Nova, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

What is preventing you from retaking you MCAT and applying MD? Unless you are sure that you can't get a good score, I think having a decent GPA is a good excuse to try again. I know you don't care right now, but there is a chance you will like something else other than primary care. With a good MCAT, there are a couple of NY state schools you would have a gooe chance at.

What is preventing you from retaking you MCAT and applying MD? Unless you are sure that you can't get a good score, I think having a decent GPA is a good excuse to try again. I know you don't care right now, but there is a chance you will like something else other than primary care. With a good MCAT, there are a couple of NY state schools you would have a gooe chance at.

would rather do DO than take a gap year, retake mcat, and do MD

Reactions: 1 user