Do DOs really have to wear different colored scrubs than MDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boltedbicorne

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was volunteering with a bunch of doctors in surgery today, and there were a few anesthesiologists. The one which was a DO wore a ghastly looking gray set of scrubs, while the MDs were all wearing cool blue colored scrubs. Is it normal for DOs to have to wear gray scrubs? If that's some sort of requirement for DOs I don't think I could ever get behind it, though DOs are still cool and awesome if that's the case, just not in scrub fashion sense.

Members don't see this ad.

SMH

Reactions: 29 users
We make ours wear pointy red hats that say DO in huge white letters as soon as they enter the hospital.

Kinda like this:
77582.jpg

Except that we add an extra O.

Reactions: 41 users
Members don't see this ad :)
C'mon bicorne, you can do better than that.

But if you insist, the answer is NO.

lol, what do gray scrubs mean? I have to admit this was the first time I've seen/noticed a doctor was a DO, and even though they can probably wear blue too, it just seemed like too much of a coincidence that the only person who was DO happened to be wearing totally different colored scrubs.

I've seen scrubs in light and navy blue, maroon, and the classic pea green. So write it down to either color blindness in the wearer, or personal choice.

More color choices here.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=scrubs&tbm=shop

lol, what do gray scrubs mean? I have to admit this was the first time I've seen/noticed a doctor was a DO, and even though they can probably wear blue too, it just seemed like too much of a coincidence that the only person who was DO happened to be wearing totally different colored scrubs.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm gonna wear spongebob scrubs LIKE A CHAMP

shopping

Reactions: 6 users
lol, what do gray scrubs mean?

They don't mean anything. Some hospitals have different colored scrubs for different services, some have different colored scrubs for different jobs, i.e. the CNAs in my school's hospital system wear green scrubs, respiratory therapists wear navy scrubs, etc.

It was a coincidence that the person wearing a different color of scrubs was the only DO. Stop reading into things.

Reactions: 6 users
No it was a coincidence.

One of my hospitals has multiple different colored scrubs, usually dark blue in the main ORs and green in the surgery center; different laundry supplier contract. It's not unusual for anesthesia and I to wear different colors, to change back and forth depending on the case. It has nothing to do with the degree. That's ridiculous.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Leaving scrub tops untucked is a nursing thing?
Tucked
SB1123_ceil.jpg

Untucked
1_adr-701---brg_750.jpg

Every physician I've dealt with tucks their scrubs. Perhaps it's a bit old fashioned, but there are some legitimate reasons behind it (for instance, in surgery, in ED, etc)

Reactions: 1 user
OP its true DOs have to wear inferior grey scrubs. However the AOA was discussing with the AMA about a possible scrub merger. However at the current time the scrubs colors differiante between MDs and DOs.

Best bet would be to go to an MD school so you don't have to wear inferior scrubs.

For the love of god don't go to a DO school. Honestly wtf. What sane person has this kinda thing cross their minds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 users
I was volunteering with a bunch of doctors in surgery today, and there were a few anesthesiologists. The one which was a DO wore a ghastly looking gray set of scrubs, while the MDs were all wearing cool blue colored scrubs. Is it normal for DOs to have to wear gray scrubs? If that's some sort of requirement for DOs I don't think I could ever get behind it, though DOs are still cool and awesome if that's the case, just not in scrub fashion sense.
Seriously, stop trolling.

Reactions: 7 users
In the UK doctors wear their scrubs untucked. Tucking them doesn't look cool, so I hear

That makes sense, thanks.

Yep.

A loose scrub top can "dangle" and contaminate a sterile field or wound.
Traditional med school teaching.

If you want to be very particular, the pant ties are supposed to be tucked in.

lol

I think it's more about specialty than region as he's FM.

But yes very strange in our world and I still venture a good way to differentiate Btwn nurses and physicians.

Not at all. Nurses in fields where it matters (e.g. look at your nurses in labor & delivery), b/c they'll get dirty or need to worry about sterility as well often keep them tucked in, too. Docs who aren't wearing them for sterility (the majority of non surgical residents wear them on overnight & weekend call) often don't tuck in, and may even <gasp> wear "nursing" scrubs. My mother is an attending who has worn the latter for the past 20 years after getting her dress clothes mucked up by ultrasound gel too often. Obviously she wears greens when in OR, but she & I both prefer these illegitimate non-doctoring scrubs for comfort/fit under the circumstances explained. To get standard issue scrubs that fit my boobs, I have to go up to such a size that the rest is baggy--neither OR appropriate nor comfortable.

I have not yet found my "nursing" scrubs to impair my brain or hinder my practiceof non-surgical medicine. I may get asked if i'm a nurse a bit more frequently, but it's worth it to feel more confident when I walk into a room than I would in scrubs that make me look like a child playing dress up.

Last edited:
I seem to be a troll repellent. Whenever I enter a thread, the trolls seem to run away. I still remember mrh125's reaction to my presence...he was actually scared of me. Very strange.

I think a bit of trolling is good for the soul and if it makes people laugh and brings a smile to their face, then is it really trolling? Of course, in SDN, for every troll, you have a 1000 troll hunters who will keep saying "troll troll" if nothing but to improve their low self esteem and their personal insecurities.

Attending's can wear whatever they want in the hospital I work at. Some of the late 30's/early 40's ER physicians wear plaid shirts + outdoor/hiking pants, some wear the hospital scrubs, some wear their own scrubs. In surgery it seems that all wear a new set of hospital scrubs every day. Dress code definitely varies by specialty, not by your suffix.

I seem to be a troll repellent. Whenever I enter a thread, the trolls seem to run away. I still remember mrh125's reaction to my presence...he was actually scared of me. Very strange.

I think a bit of trolling is good for the soul and if it makes people laugh and brings a smile to their face, then is it really trolling? Of course, in SDN, for every troll, you have a 1000 troll hunters who will keep saying "troll troll" if nothing but to improve their low self esteem and their personal insecurities.

riveting tale chap

OP its true DOs have to wear inferior grey scrubs. However the AOA was discussing with the AMA about a possible scrub merger. However at the current time the scrubs colors differiante between MDs and DOs.

Best bet would be to go to an MD school so you don't have to wear inferior scrubs.

For the leave of god don't go yo a DO school. Honestly wtf. What sane person has this kinda thing cross their minds.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

wait DOs can wear scrubs???

At our shop gray scrubs are worn by orderlies, butt ugly when they've been washed a hundred times. Actually, years-ago when we went color coded there was considerable rancor over which service wore which color. Nurses got navy. IM got royal blue, of course.

At some places they still have to earn that stripe:

rbz-nurses-week-01.jpg

Last edited:
gotta tuck scrubs when you have pagers

Reactions: 3 users
A few attending hospitalists wear scrub tops tucked into khakis.

This is the hospital where fashion comes to die.

It actually works with them untucked.

sadly, my patient died last night, b/c I couldn't hear my pager when the unique fabric of my untucked "nursing" scrubs dampened the piercing blare. The mere wearing of these scrubs also rendered me deaf to the overhead Code Blue sequela of my non-response.

Reactions: 1 users
wait trolls can wear scrubs?

I actually was not trolling.. but trying to identify a HUGE misconception through humor. Sorry if you got offended.

I just think the MD/DO stigma is beyond ridiculous to me.. If someone is going into the field just to say he/she is an MD.. then I am really worried for the future of healthcare.

Nursing scrub tops often have functional pockets at the bottom front which would probably make tucking them pointless. Mine don't but I don't think I'd consider tucking them anyways. I've noticed a variety of doctors in various specialties go tucked or untucked. Who cares as long as they are comfortable and competent.

I'm gonna wear spongebob scrubs LIKE A CHAMP

shopping

Where did you find this glorious thing? It's beautiful. I must have it.

TIL why doctors tuck their scrubs in! That actually makes sense. If it's a contamination issue why aren't tucked scrubs the norm, or even required, for all staff?

Reactions: 1 users
Where did you find this glorious thing? It's beautiful. I must have it.

TIL why doctors tuck their scrubs in! That actually makes sense. If it's a contamination issue why aren't tucked scrubs the norm, or even required, for all staff?

if they want scrubs tucked in they should just make scrubs a one piece full body outfit, then nobody would have to go through the hassle of tucking.

I do not and have never tucked in my scrubs, including when I was on my surgery or ICU rotations during training. In the OR, you're wearing a sterile gown over the scrubs anyway, so it's not like your scrub top is going to accidentally fall into the open field! Maybe it is a regional/hospital culture thing as well as a specialty culture thing.

if they want scrubs tucked in they should just make scrubs a one piece full body outfit, then nobody would have to go through the hassle of tucking.
No way. I (and every other female here) do not want to have to get completely undressed every time I need to take a pee.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.