Do hospitals get paid for elective rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firstaidjelly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you do an elective rotation at a hospital, does that hospital get paid from your tuition money?

Members don't see this ad.

images

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Then where does our fourth year medical school tuition go to?

Technically its used to subsidize the ridiculous cost of 1st and 2nd year. Professors make BANK. And then the overhead is usually pretty huge for a medical school.

Reactions: 1 user

Wrong. Almost all medical schools pay the physician or hospital who is proctoring your rotation some sort of weekly fee.

This was not always the case, but as hospitals continue to get the indirect portion of residency funding through CMS chopped (see The Gov't is Broke), they will likely expect their affiliated medical schools to pick up the tab for medical education.

My school pays about $70 a week. Most Caribbean schools are $400-$500/wk.

Most of your tuition money is used to finance the school's research and to pay the "prestigious" faculty members. A lot goes to other things as well. Simulation labs, Simulated patients. Student lounges, new buildings, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Wrong. Almost all medical schools pay the physician or hospital who is proctoring your rotation some sort of weekly fee.

This was not always the case, but as hospitals continue to get the indirect portion of residency funding through CMS chopped (see The Gov't is Broke), they will likely expect their affiliated medical schools to pick up the tab for medical education.

My school pays about $70 a week. Most Caribbean schools are $400-$500/wk.

Most of your tuition money is used to finance the school's research and to pay the "prestigious" faculty members. A lot goes to other things as well. Simulation labs, Simulated patients. Student lounges, new buildings, etc.

Complete and utter poppycock.

Question was about elective rotations. For which the elective site gets paid nothing unless they up front ask for money or if you are an elective in the "green book" (a list of sites various offshore schools have a deal to pay, even for electives"

I literally am the primary source of your "$70 a week" number. You look up the source of that number it is [DocEspana's real name]. I'm the one who crunched that number for you. Also 70-100 is an mean average. The median? $0.00. The mode? $0.00. A few schools pay a couple hundred per week and a few can't be bothered to give a number. But all of them agree this is for 3rd and 4tg year cores ONLY and do not pay out a penny for electives.

Complete and utter poppycock.

Question was about elective rotations. For which the elective site gets paid nothing unless they up front ask for money or if you are an elective in the "green book" (a list of sites various offshore schools have a deal to pay, even for electives"

I literally am the primary source of your "$70 a week" number. You look up the source of that number it is [DocEspana's real name]. I'm the one who crunched that number for you. Also 70-100 is an mean average. The median? $0.00. The mode? $0.00. A few schools pay a couple hundred per week and a few can't be bothered to give a number. But all of them agree this is for 3rd and 4tg year cores ONLY and do not pay out a penny for electives.

Ummmmm.......No you're not.

You "crunched" no numbers for me. I know nothing about you.

I have first hand experience with this. I know it be true

Last edited:
Learn your stuff before you quote me and disagree with me on my area of expertise.

I didn't realize that your area of expertise was my life. I guess all things things that I have experienced first hand with my own two eyes are wrong because "DocEspana knows better"

What a load off my shoulders I feel.

Ummmmm.......No you're not.

You "crunched" no numbers for me. I know nothing about you.

I have first hand experience with this. I know it be true

May want to talk to them again because you've misunderstood them. Electives do not pay out anything unless there is a pre-existing contract (which would mean you are at a core hospital and then, and only then, is an elective possible to get payment from your school).

and furthermore, you may want to re-read your COCA accreditation (and LCME too) standards. We are using the word "pay" very loosely here. LCME officially bans ANY payment of hospitals for 3rd or 4th year education and COCA bans payment for electives, but gives a (non-cash) allowment for cores that is considered an 'cost offset' for the costs a medical student brings to the hospital.

If your assistant dean admits to paying for electives he is literally admitting that he is breaking the accreditation rules of his medical school. He would never admit to that. What he was likely referring to is the cost offset for CORES and/or giving people "faculty positions" (aka show up at the school once per semester +/- teaching that day and get a paycheck) in exchange for clinical education.

Also, as you referenced DME's lets discuss that too. "You" only have DMEs at core sites. So you are talking to a person who likely does exchange cash for his CORE rotations.

As for my qualifications. Again, the AMA has multiple policies requiring actual averages and numbers on this matter, on issues ranging from the impact of for profit DO and MD schools to the larger educational arms race the offshore students have found themselves in. All of which required someone to study the COCA and LCME standards inside and out and actually call and talk to 100% (as of 2011) of the deans of osteopathic schools and ask them (or their surrogate) for information on the matter (data was already collected for LCME accredited schools). That was me. So whomever you talked to, I talked to their boss.

I am going to assume you misunderstood your assistant dean or missed the subtleties of how money has to be diverted and repackaged and kept artificially small for cores and thought that also applied to electives. Because if you honestly contest this I am literally going to put you on the ignore list because someone who can't admit they made a mistake and digs their heels in rather than actually going back to confirm their assertion is actually true is someone who I do not wish to interact with intellectually. I believe you can bring a lot to this forum with your unique ideas I've seen on other threads, but I have a specific distaste for those who would cover their ears and yell "I cant hear you" at the first sign of disagreement in a scientific field. Don't be that person.