Do I have a reasonable chance for success with this plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJPK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the length, thanks in advance for taking the time to read.

Some background: I graduated from in May 2009 (B.B.A. Accounting). I had a decent UG GPA with a strong upward trend (3.43), but retook some classes due to a rough 2nd semester in my freshman year in which I stopped going to classes and almost dropped out. After graduation, I worked for a year in an accounting firm until they let me go in June of this year. Since then I've been job hunting to no avail, all the while second-guessing whether I even want to go back to accounting work.

In that time I've been feeling like I want to make a difference by serving in some capacity. I had been considering military service, but after doing some research, I'm unable to enlist due to a congenital heart defect (tiny PFO). So, I went back to the job application grind.

This past weekend (this is going to sound cheesy) I was watching House and it got me thinking, could med school be a possibility as a career where I could help and serve people? I had never really thought about it before, but after doing some reading on here, it gave me hope that maybe it could be an possibility for me.

So, my question is whether this possible plan would give me a chance:

Using the AMCAS GPA spreadsheet, my cGPA is ~3.20. I didn't compute my sGPA because I have only taken General Chem I and II and didn't do great (C and B, if I remember correctly). In addition, I've taken Calc I (A) and Calc II (F...I was in the midst of a 19 credit semester and I only took it to attempt to raise my GPA so I felt it was more prudent to focus on the classes for my major so I stopped going), so I'm sure it's not very good. I also didn't try very hard in the chem classes since I had intentions of changing my major - in the past I have been strong in science and math.

My plan would be to do an informal post-bacc and ace the pre-reqs, including retaking Gen Chem and Calc II. During that time I'd start doing some volunteer work at the local hospital or nursing home to get some experience in a clinical environment, as well as other non-medical volunteer work. That would probably give me a solid 1.5-2 years by the time I finish up the pre-req work.

If I entered everything correctly in the spreadsheet, with a strong post-bacc, I should be able to bring my cGPA up into the ~3.4 range plus I'd have a strong sGPA. Also, there'd be a strong upward trend.

Now I realize this all hinges on a stellar post-bacc + a strong MCAT score, but provided I can manage to pull that off, do I have a shot at getting in somewhere? I'm fully open to DO as well.

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Step 1: turn off the TV and go volunteer in a clinic or hospital. Don't wait: do it now, before you invest in starting a postbac. See if you like the reality of medical care. There is no "diagnostic medicine" specialty. TV shows take the .02% of the day that makes good TV, and they don't show you the 99.98% which is where you do work because it's a job. Also, most of the people who work in hospitals do *not* look like they'd be a great lay.

If you get strong grades in the prereqs, and if you do well on the MCAT, and if you put together a compelling app, then your chances are as good as anybody else's.

Best of luck to you.

I probably should have left the whole part about House out - I realize that it's glamorized and doesn't reflect the actual life of a physician. Watching the show just made me think and led me to do some research, which is how I ended up here.

I would definitely be volunteering prior to the post-bacc as I wouldn't be starting it until at the soonest Summer I. I just wanted some input as to whether my application would be competitive given what I outlined in the original post, so in the event that it would not, I could forget about the idea and put my energies elsewhere.

Thank you for the input.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, my question is whether this possible plan would give me a chance:

Using the AMCAS GPA spreadsheet, my cGPA is ~3.20. I didn't compute my sGPA because I have only taken General Chem I and II and didn't do great (C and B, if I remember correctly). In addition, I've taken Calc I (A) and Calc II (F...I was in the midst of a 19 credit semester and I only took it to attempt to raise my GPA so I felt it was more prudent to focus on the classes for my major so I stopped going), so I'm sure it's not very good. I also didn't try very hard in the chem classes since I had intentions of changing my major - in the past I have been strong in science and math.

My plan would be to do an informal post-bacc and ace the pre-reqs, including retaking Gen Chem and Calc II Good choice for the post bac! Yes; retake courses and also take additional upper bio courses to show the schools that you can handle hard classes.

During that time I'd start doing some volunteer work at the local hospital or nursing home to get some experience in a clinical environment, as well as other non-medical volunteer work. Definitely, volunteer and expose yourself to the hospital environment to see really if you enjoy such kind of environment! Also great way to get letter of recommendations here! Get to know some of the staff members!
That would probably give me a solid 1.5-2 years by the time I finish up the pre-req work.

If I entered everything correctly in the spreadsheet, with a strong post-bacc, I should be able to bring my cGPA up into the ~3.4 range plus I'd have a strong sGPA. Also, there'd be a strong upward trend. A strong upward trend shows maturity and improvement!

Now I realize this all hinges on a stellar post-bacc + a strong MCAT score, but provided I can manage to pull that off, do I have a shot at getting in somewhere? I'm fully open to DO as well. Achieving a high MCAT score is very important. Take a practice test before studying for it. If you find that it's best to take a review course, I highly recommmend it!

Thanks again.

I believe you should also get some research experience while you're in a post-bac program :thumbup: There, you will have the opportunity of possibly publishing a paper or presenting your research findings at a poster symposium!

So here's the thing - your plan is feasible in theory. If you do all the things as you outlined, then yes, you could get in to med school. But it pretty much applies to anybody; anybody who does all the prereqs, gets good grades, aces the MCAT, gets a load of clinical and non-clinical volunteering, and possibly some research published, can get in to med school. The trick is that doing all that stuff is real hard, and takes a lot of time and effort and determination.

To do all this stuff, you need to have some serious drive. You can't possibly have that drive yet because you just came up with this idea, and that's ok. As per the other posters, the most critical thing you need to do ASAP is talk to some doctors, talk to some med students, talk to some science professors, and do some clinical volunteering to see if you REALLY have the drive to put up with all the BS and pain that it takes to get there. Just getting in to med school includes such infamous ordeals as Orgo and the MCAT. Take a look at those, and think on whether those are mountains you are willing to climb to get in to med school. But beyond that, talk to physicians, find out what a career in medicine actually means so that you can decide if you actually want to be a doctor.

I am not discouraging you at all: I didn't decide that I wanted to do this until basically after I graduated UG, and now I am in the midst of all the aches and pains mentioned above. But I am doing it all with a smile on my face cause I KNOW exactly where I am going.

Take some time to figure out if this is something you are ready to commit to; you can't do this half-way, or you will fail. Once you're in, you have be really jump in the deep end, in to the insanity! Good luck with your research in to this career.

edit: just for full disclosure, I already applied to med school once, and got three waitlists, didn't end up getting in. So now I am doing it all again. This happens to ~50% of applicants in any given year, so not only do you have to be willing to do all this, but you might have to do all this twice or more if you really want to get in!

Last edited:
Got to echo the above. Definitly not a decision to make lightly... I mulled it over for 6 months. Right now I couldn't be happier with my decision, but I'm still a premed.

...do some clinical volunteering to see if you REALLY have the drive to put up with all the BS and pain that it takes to get there.

Couldn't agree with this more. The only way to know if this is something that you really want to pursue is to go out there and see for yourself exactly what you are in for. The road to medical school is long and weary, and it's easy to lose sight of your goal. You will work harder than you ever have before just to be able to present yourself as a candidate for medical school. Volunteer work and shadowing will be very helpful in deciding whether medicine is for you. I hope that you find your calling, and good luck in your endeavor!!

Wow, I am extremely grateful for these responses. They have really helped me so far. I think I'm going to (very) soon start getting a clinical volunteering gig + some shadowing in motion so I can see if this is something I really want to do and put the time and effort into.

I am glad to hear from people that were/are in the same position as me. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated to what happens.

Thank you again, it really means a ton to me.

The plan is the easiest part. Anyone can make a plan.

I would tell you this, liking a TV show is fine. I liked ER the show, thought doctors were cool and now am sitting on multiple acceptances. Don't let anyone doubt your drive or motivation. With that said, everyone is correct in telling you it is hard.

You will need to do well in classes, which is hard if you have other responsibilities or a job. You will have to do well on the MCAT. You will need to volunteer/shadow for at least a few hundred hours. You will need an amazing personal statement and essays to go along with your app. None of this stuff is easy, but if you really want to do it and you have the intelligence or work ethic to boot, then you will be fine. Volunteering sucks. I don't care what anyone says. I hated ER volunteering. Shadowing is cool though, so expose yourself to as much medicine as you can whatever way you can (books/real world/etc).

Make sure you like to study! A lot. A whole lot.