Do I need an MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RattusStudenticus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to do research into the causes of schizophrenia. I also have a secondary interest in immune-related skin diseases.

I am not interested in seeing patients, which is why I was originally planning on going PhD-only... but I'm beginning to wonder if you want to do studies with patients (and not just do surveys or use somebody else's datasets), do you need to be an MD?

Or if I do go PhD-only, what should I do a PhD in? Epidemiology is one option -- especially since epidemiologists seem to have enough flexibility in what they study that I could conceivably switch from schizophrenia to skin diseases at some point if I ever wanted to. But I worry about how far into biology epidemiologists are able to get -- for example, could an Epi PhD do a case-control study looking at levels of various hormones in schizophrenics vs. healthy controls?

Biological psychology would be another possible PhD choice, but I would worry about job prospects in something with such a narrow focus... I'd kinda prefer the flexibility of epidemiology *if* epidemiologists are allowed to get into measuring biological factors in their work.

So... who gets to do the kind of work I want to do? Is it MDs and MD/PhDs? Or can a straight-up PhD do it? And if so, what kind of PhD gets to do things like "a study comparing the levels of various hormones in schizophrenics vs. healthy controls"?

Members don't see this ad.

No, you don't an MD. You'll just need MD collaborators.

I am not interested in seeing patients, which is why I was originally planning on going PhD-only... but I'm beginning to wonder if you want to do studies with patients (and not just do surveys or use somebody else's datasets), do you need to be an MD?

For skin disease, sounds like Cell Bio or Immunology. For schizophrenia, then it's Neuroscience. There are a lot of people doing research in the genetics of schizophrenia, in fact, the genetics of any mental illness is a red hot field, since there are no decent biomarkers.

Or if I do go PhD-only, what should I do a PhD in? Epidemiology is one option -- especially since epidemiologists seem to have enough flexibility in what they study that I could conceivably switch from schizophrenia to skin diseases at some point if I ever wanted to. But I worry about how far into biology epidemiologists are able to get -- for example, could an Epi PhD do a case-control study looking at levels of various hormones in schizophrenics vs. healthy controls?

See above. Start looking into PhD programs. Google is your friend.
Or can a straight-up PhD do it? And if so, what kind of PhD gets to do things like "a study comparing the levels of various hormones in schizophrenics vs. healthy controls"?

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't seem like you're confident in your knowledge of either skin disease or neurological disorders. I would go read some medical literature in the two areas so you can really decide where your interests lie.

Furthermore, conduct research with faculty once you've narrowed down your specific research interest. You can't get into a PhD program if you've never conducted actual research.

Members don't see this ad :)
There a ton of people doing research with "human biomatter" that do not have MDs. Epidemiologists do direct the collection of biosamples from research subjects. Genetics and environment both play a role in many diseases and samples from subjects including DNA as well as, in some cases, samples of material from the environment, diagnostic imaging, and information provided by subjects (access to their medical records, survey responses, neuropsych testing) are used in epidemiologic research.

Reactions: 1 users
do PhD and work at an academic setting where you will be able to find MD collaborators easily

Pre-meds, most of them are going pro in something other than medicine. It's a fact of life and nothing wrong with it. No one understands all the options for careers when they are in the sixth grade or tenth grade or even junior year of college. As other options become clearer, some folks choose to take the road less traveled.

Reactions: 1 users
No, you don't need the MD for your interests. Epidemiology is very broad and your focus can range from ecological level studies to newer fields like molecular and genetic Epi. Sounds like it might be a good fit for your interests. For epi PhDs a good chunk of your coursework will be study design and data analysis., but also courses in your interest area, so if you're interested in infectious disease you might take courses in micro, virology, etc.

Another thing to look into are programs that have PhDs in Clinical and a Translational science.