DO Ortho Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justDOit22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just started 3rd year and trying to get some advice on scheduling away rotations, the application process, and interviews. I have wanted to do ortho since high school and feel I am a competitive applicant (690 Comlex, top 20% class, and just starting ortho research this fall). I basically have July-October free for away rotations. When do you start setting those up? And How many interviews can I expect to get if I can only physically rotate at 4 sites? If I do get other interviews what is the realistic chances of being ranked after only meeting once for an interview. Lastly, do most people also apply to another field like gen surg as a backup plan? And could you realistically be ranked for even gen surg without doing any gen surg aways. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. 661 Comlex top 15% of class and will be starting research as well. Any help for those who have done this before would be great.

-Start setting ortho audition rotations January of your 3rd year. If you can do it earlier, go for it.
-If you rotate at 4 sites and do well you will most likely get 4 interviews. Often times with a padded CV you can snag just a couple more interviews. Typically it would be best after interview to spend some time with the guys there if you can do a week or two. Most competitive DO ortho residencies rarely have to send out interviews outside of their rotating students pool.
-For back ups some of the rotating students will pick a less competitive MD specialty. 1) Most will interview you even if you don't rotate in the specialty 2) MD interviews are about a month -3 months after DO ortho interviews so you can sneak in an MD away late november/ early december.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the advice above. Both of you have high COMLEX which will get you a few more interviews at places you did not rotate at. But for the most part, programs interview out of their rotator pool. We'll have 4 spots, ~15 interviewees out of 60+ rotators.

Most places start interviewing in October-November. All done by mid-decemeber.

Thanks for the info. Do most programs give you feedback either during your away or during your interview? I have seen posts about applicants being told where they'd be ranked.

Agree with the advice above. Both of you have high COMLEX which will get you a few more interviews at places you did not rotate at. But for the most part, programs interview out of their rotator pool. We'll have 4 spots, ~15 interviewees out of 60+ rotators.

Most places start interviewing in October-November. All done by mid-decemeber.

Okay -- I get that places have to be careful with their selection of who to invite for interviews, but they in turn have to be practical about how many places a student can get to for rotations. It is impossible to get to all the places you'd like to for a rotation. So you're telling me that the programs are now only looking at rotators?
That's nuts. There are many programs I'm interested in and couldn't get rotations for. To be frank, I've got great stats. But you're telling me they won't look at me and my stats, only at rotators?

Okay -- I get that places have to be careful with their selection of who to invite for interviews, but they in turn have to be practical about how many places a student can get to for rotations. It is impossible to get to all the places you'd like to for a rotation. So you're telling me that the programs are now only looking at rotators?
That's nuts. There are many programs I'm interested in and couldn't get rotations for. To be frank, I've got great stats. But you're telling me they won't look at me and my stats, only at rotators?

You need to take into account that these rotators have equally competitive stats as you AND have already developed a relationship with the program. Also, more likely than not, they are probably just as hard working as you think you are.

You need to take into account that these rotators have equally competitive stats as you AND have already developed a relationship with the program. Also, more likely than not, they are probably just as hard working as you think you are.

Okay, again, though, I think at this point program directors will have to realize that they aren't truly making their selections. They've been given a pool of rotators selected by a someone else in the department -- perhaps they had guidelines for selecting rotators, perhaps they took every rotator who applied -- but if programs only choose from the rotator pool, they aren't necessarily getting a shot at the top applicants. Programs must realize that every applicant will have done several rotations somewhere, so it's not like a person will come to them without knowing things about the field. It just seems the limitations of these rotations are a strange way to sort all this out.

I can only speak for one program I have spoken with but they stated they only interview those who rotate. They are more interested in the person than their stats.

There are programs that will also grant interviews based on board scores/grades alone, however, I would say majority of programs only interview rotators (if they have plenty of rotators). As much as this sucks, interviewees can put on a show for the interview and come off as a great applicant even if they are truly bad. Thus, those who actually rotate at our program have a significant advantage seeming we worked with them for 2-4 weeks, know their work ethic, know who they are. I much rather take someone with a 500 board score who worked hard during his 2 weeks and I know will succeed in our program than someone with a 780 who i never worked with.

Boards are not very important to me nor to many of the residents in my program (and I would say the same hold true for many of my friends at other programs). It's about getting along and working well with others. I want to be able to hang out with you outside of work and rely on you at work.

Obviously, if you are a hard worker, get along with the residents, and have good grades/boards; then you are even more competitive as an applicant. Although, honestly, looking at all our rotators thus far, I have a clear seperation in my mind thus far on who I want to interview and those who I don't (and there are people with high boards and low board scores in both categories)

Reactions: 1 users
We'll have 4 spots, ~15 interviewees out of 60+ rotators.

How do you get 60+ rotators? I mean, if most med students don't do electives until their fourth year, how do you accommodate that many students? Away rotations should be educational; it would be a shame if a program only has, say, 6 attendings, but takes 6 or more med students at a time.

How do you get 60+ rotators? I mean, if most med students don't do electives until their fourth year, how do you accommodate that many students? Away rotations should be educational; it would be a shame if a program only has, say, 6 attendings, but takes 6 or more med students at a time.

The program he's at has 20+ attendings and their own orthopaedic hospital.

We rotate about 4 at a time and take 2 residents. We have about 10 primary attendings and 22 total attendings that we cover trauma call with.

Also, I agree while it's a disservice to have too many students on service, you also have to realize that many students don't even get slots to rotate. So programs try to accommodate as many students as they can.

The program he's at has 20+ attendings and their own orthopaedic hospital.

We rotate about 4 at a time and take 2 residents. We have about 10 primary attendings and 22 total attendings that we cover trauma call with.

Also, I agree while it's a disservice to have too many students on service, you also have to realize that many students don't even get slots to rotate. So programs try to accommodate as many students as they can.

DH's first statement is probably false; I could be in California for all we know! :ninja:

We have max around 12 students/week and every students basically gets their own service with a resident with them rotating to a new service/attending/resident every 2-3 days. Thus over the course of 2-4 weeks you may get exposed to 8 attendings or so. And maybe 60 is an exaggeration. Maybe closer to 40+:banana:

Members don't see this ad :)

It seems like in the osteopathic residency world, audition rotations are pretty much do or die in several specialties.

I'm not applying ortho, but I emailed a resident in a program that I'm somewhat interested in and she told me that the program director only interviews people who rotated there. So if I wanted a shot at an interview I should at least set up a weekend to be on call to work with the program director.

I'm applying both acgme and aoa since I need to apply broadly. I did zero aoa audition rotations and I have gotten zero aoa interviews. Luckily I have 2 acgme interviews so far.

I agree that it doesn't seem far at all, but it seems to be a common thought process in the osteopathic world.

Okay, the current system is kinda crazy. I'll admit rotating gives you a really good look at what life as an ortho resident is like. Gives you a chance to compare programs and decide what you do and don't like. It gives you a chance to know the current residents. But remember, we've all been told high comlex scores open doors -- you're told high comlex scores are the answer to everything. Now they're not???

Okay, the current system is kinda crazy. I'll admit rotating gives you a really good look at what life as an ortho resident is like. Gives you a chance to compare programs and decide what you do and don't like. It gives you a chance to know the current residents. But remember, we've all been told high comlex scores open doors -- you're told high comlex scores are the answer to everything. Now they're not???

Put yourself in their shoes. Would you choose a person you can't stand that has a 700 COMLEX score over someone who you generally enjoy being around with a 580? But scores are still very important because if they like 10 people equally then I would imagine the higher the score the more likely you are chosen. You still have a plethora of very intelligent applicants, as can be seen by the average score match statistics.

Board scores are nice, shows you'll likely do well academically. I would ideally love to have someone who has great boards, as well as passion for ortho, who's also hardworking and easy to get along with. Ultimately, the most important thing for me is whether I can work with you for 5 years, and for residents it is overwhelmingly the most important factor. Are you reliable? or will I have to constantly worry about you? After that, are you truly passionate about ortho, or you're just rolling in because you have high scores and think ortho is cool. I think students that truly enjoy ortho are the ones that easily rise to the top, high boards or not. They work hard, and never complain, mainly because they love ortho. I know auditions suck, but if you enjoy ortho, it makes the sucky part less tolerable.

Point being, boards scores are nice, but they are probably number 3 or 4 for me and most residents that I know when evaluating students. I used to think just like you when I was a student, but opinion changed greatly as a resident. You won't believe how many students with high scores roll in that are lazy, with poor knowledge, and have a bad attitude. You can see why we rather take someone with average scores who works hard, reads for cases, is easy to work with, and is reliable.

I am enthusiastic about ortho. That's a big part of why I worked my tail off to get high board scores -- cause I was told high board scores practically wrote my ticket for getting an ortho spot. I was told that my my residency advisor. I've been told that by a thousand books and articles.

Now I'm learning differently. Seems the rules changed.

Don't get me wrong -- I've had some great rotations with some great evaluations from program directors. I've gotten hands-on in the operating room through rotations, driving in screws and throwing stitches, doing some great stuff. I've seen new things, done new things and learned new things. It's exciting and really fun. The rotations only make me want ortho more. And I know I continue to sound like an ass or something, but I'm good. I like the residents where I've worked and they've been great.

This is me now trying to get my head around what I've always been told -- that high board scores and a great interview would get you offers -- as compared to the new story of -- you should only expect to be considered by places you rotate.

[QUOTE="readdoc, post:

#1 whoever told u high board scores guaranteed u a spot was wrong. period! Happens every year. BUT this is life in all aspects. High scores/grades open doors that lower scores could not. Now that door is open you've got to seal the deal- ie match. That's why it's called a match,, programs pick applicants that match their ideal applicant. Accept it. I'm very confused how someone so smart can get great grades/board scores and be confused by this simple concept. People want to work with people they like. Also people can memorize and do great in school- but the reality of medicine is not a simple memorize and act. Critical thinking is very different Move on and focus on ur upcoming rotations. Learn how to read xrays, memorize classifications, know ur anatomy, etc

#2 you've worked hard, have good scores, why are u complaining about this issue. You've set yourself up to match, where many of ur fellow students don't have that opportunity. Feel blessed from ur hard work, it's paid off to get u auditions.

[QUOTE="readdoc, post:

#1 whoever told u high board scores guaranteed u a spot was wrong. period! Happens every year. BUT this is life in all aspects. High scores/grades open doors that lower scores could not. Now that door is open you've got to seal the deal- ie match. That's why it's called a match,, programs pick applicants that match their ideal applicant. Accept it. I'm very confused how someone so smart can get great grades/board scores and be confused by this simple concept. People want to work with people they like. Also people can memorize and do great in school- but the reality of medicine is not a simple memorize and act. Critical thinking is very different Move on and focus on ur upcoming rotations. Learn how to read xrays, memorize classifications, know ur anatomy, etc

#2 you've worked hard, have good scores, why are u complaining about this issue. You've set yourself up to match, where many of ur fellow students don't have that opportunity. Feel blessed from ur hard work, it's paid off to get u auditions.

What are the threshold scores/grades that open doors as far as auditions and chance to match?

[QUOTE="readdoc, post:

I never expected someone would fall at my door begging me to come be in their residency program -- I know I have to work at it, and I have, I've rotated and had some amazing experiences. It's made me want ortho even more. But someone needs to let people know the game isn't about board scores anymore. Advisors at my school basically told me my scores, my rec's etc. meant I'd have interviews out my ears -- that just hasn't happened yet -- other than the ones I hope to get from rotations. I'm doing the work - doing the hustle, showing up, working hard, making good impressions and am liked by everyone. So I'm not complaining that I feel I'm coming up short -- it's simply that certain facts were somehow withheld.

At one of the places I rotated, there are people who have done transitional years and are hovering over the open slots. There are also tons of MS4s hovering over the spots -- and by that I mean they've rotated more than once at the place. It kind of seems like there's a rotation frenzy going on and people are circling like sharks over the the few spots. You can't help but catch the air of desperation going on around you.

So maybe that's what's bugging me now is that I've fully caught the strain of desperation running through all the MS4s who want ortho.

Nontheless, at this point, my advice to those coming up behind me is to really think damn hard about what you want. I'd tell them scores are always important, but not as much as face-to-face of rotations. I want ortho like nothing else, but I'd probably tell people behind me to choose something else and run hard and fast away from this mess!

What are the threshold scores/grades that open doors as far as auditions and chance to match?

>550-600 is what I've heard for most specialties. Generally speaking if you have >600, you should be ok for a lot of specialties. 650+ for the most competitive AOA programs in the most competitive fields, or so I've heard.

Anyone, feel free to correct me if those numbers seem off.

I never expected someone would fall at my door begging me to come be in their residency program -- I know I have to work at it, and I have, I've rotated and had some amazing experiences. It's made me want ortho even more. But someone needs to let people know the game isn't about board scores anymore. Advisors at my school basically told me my scores, my rec's etc. meant I'd have interviews out my ears -- that just hasn't happened yet -- other than the ones I hope to get from rotations. I'm doing the work - doing the hustle, showing up, working hard, making good impressions and am liked by everyone. So I'm not complaining that I feel I'm coming up short -- it's simply that certain facts were somehow withheld.

At one of the places I rotated, there are people who have done transitional years and are hovering over the open slots. There are also tons of MS4s hovering over the spots -- and by that I mean they've rotated more than once at the place. It kind of seems like there's a rotation frenzy going on and people are circling like sharks over the the few spots. You can't help but catch the air of desperation going on around you.

So maybe that's what's bugging me now is that I've fully caught the strain of desperation running through all the MS4s who want ortho.

Nontheless, at this point, my advice to those coming up behind me is to really think damn hard about what you want. I'd tell them scores are always important, but not as much as face-to-face of rotations. I want ortho like nothing else, but I'd probably tell people behind me to choose something else and run hard and fast away from this mess!
Just out of curiosity, what would you have done differently to make yourself more competitive among the rotators? Does it seem like everyone has research on top of good grades, boards and LOR's? I'm not sure what I am interested in yet, but I want to stay competitive so I dont close any doors. My advisors are saying the same things yours did.

Would love to hear some thoughts from residents and applicants how research, preferably ortho research in particular, has impacted the process for you. Is having multiple publications can asset like you'd see on the ACGME side?

Would love to hear some thoughts from residents and applicants how research, preferably ortho research in particular, has impacted the process for you. Is having multiple publications can asset like you'd see on the ACGME side?

Just another part of the package that can help distinguish yourself from the crowd. However, other factors are more important such as your work ethic and personality, how you interview, and then boards/grades/reserach/ect. Medical students get caught up in "what about X" syndrome. It's about being a complete package and not all parts are made equal. Same thing goes for residency programs. Talk to your fellow older classmates who matched ortho and their advice.

For example, Toledo has been known to take high board scores only (not sure if they still do). So if you have a 750+, you would be stupid not to rotate here as you may be in their top 3. Erie favors students from LECOM, so if you go to LECOM you better rotate here.

But as someone mentioned above. It's called a match for a reason..think about it as dating. I like you and you like me...sure lets do this. Or you like me a lot, but man you sure are annoying, so i really only want to be an acquaintance.

Out of curiosity, do any AOA ortho residencies care about USMLE score? The only reason I ask is I did better on USMLE than I did on COMLEX (236 vs. 533). I'd like to know if my USMLE score helps my lower COMLEX score at all on my application. I know it's difficult to compare since many students only took COMLEX.

Out of curiosity, do any AOA ortho residencies care about USMLE score? The only reason I ask is I did better on USMLE than I did on COMLEX (236 vs. 533). I'd like to know if my USMLE score helps my lower COMLEX score at all on my application. I know it's difficult to compare since many students only took COMLEX.

Had a buddy who was specifically asked for his USMLE score by several ortho programs without them knowing if he even took it. Don't know how widespread that is.

OSM-1 here. I'm like ortho among other things right now, but I've been more curious about ortho lately.

Just a quick question. How important are grades for ortho or matching in general? I get mixed vibes about what is important for matching in general. The relative importance of grades seem to be on the end of the list, but they seem to take precedence in ortho. Is that accurate? I feel like if I get a B, I don't have a chance in ortho based on some of these threads. Thanks!

For example, Toledo has been known to take high board scores only (not sure if they still do). So if you have a 750+, you would be stupid not to rotate here as you may be in their top 3. Erie favors students from LECOM, so if you go to LECOM you better rotate here.

Regarding Toledo.

In recent years, that has not been the case. It's no secret that one of the residents quit. He was a 700+ applicant.

In other words, the way things are done in Toledo, has evolved.

I can promise you, when I am an attending back there in 10 months, the board score thing will become even less important.

The PD has seen that people with high board scores aren't necessarily the best residents.

Just as an aside: 3-4 years ago there was a guy that came through with a 750. We didn't rank him. In fact, no one did, because he reapplied the following year. You HAVE to be someone that people can lean on and people can trust.

Question regarding USMLE Step 2. If pursuing AOA Ortho with a solid comlex I is there any reason to take USMLE again? I have heard some say certain fellowships may want to see it? Any truth to this

Regarding Toledo.

In recent years, that has not been the case. It's no secret that one of the residents quit. He was a 700+ applicant.

In other words, the way things are done in Toledo, has evolved.

I can promise you, when I am an attending back there in 10 months, the board score thing will become even less important.

The PD has seen that people with high board scores aren't necessarily the best residents.

Just as an aside: 3-4 years ago there was a guy that came through with a 750. We didn't rank him. In fact, no one did, because he reapplied the following year. You HAVE to be someone that people can lean on and people can trust.

That would be nice, because as it stands right now, you can't even rotate unless you have a 600+

Hey guys, OMS2 here, I thought about posting this question in the Ortho section, but I figured this thread has been relatively active and it's already catered to DO, so I'll give it a go here.

Considering that auditions are among the most important factors for getting an Ortho spot, consider this:

There's a cap at my school for the amount of rotations we can do within one specialty. Obviously I'm going to max out what I can in Ortho, but I have no idea what non-Ortho rotations would be good (in terms of increasing my chances of matching). I was thinking Gen Surg, PM&R, Sports or Spinal Surg? Has anyone else faced the same issue? Would I be better off petitioning to try to get rid of the limit?

I got a 611 COMLEX. My grades are above average, but not stellar. I feel like if I can do a rotation at a few places that my work ethic will give me the extra boost. Do I stand a chance at being looked at for some ortho positions? After speaking with other students and reading, doing a rotation with competitive rotations is about the only way to stand a chance, but some places require a certain board score to even rotate due to competitiveness. Just trying to gauge where I stand before I start an uphill battle.

Hey guys, OMS2 here, I thought about posting this question in the Ortho section, but I figured this thread has been relatively active and it's already catered to DO, so I'll give it a go here.Considering that auditions are among the most important factors for getting an Ortho spot, consider this:
There's a cap at my school for the amount of rotations we can do within one specialty. Obviously I'm going to max out what I can in Ortho, but I have no idea what non-Ortho rotations would be good (in terms of increasing my chances of matching). I was thinking Gen Surg, PM&R, Sports or Spinal Surg? Has anyone else faced the same issue? Would I be better off petitioning to try to get rid of the limit?

We all went through this. Its a stupid political game played by medical schools. I actually ended up getting about 5 1/2 months of ortho when in reality I was only supposed to get 4. I made good friends with my residency coordinator and classified one of my orthopedic rotations as sports medicine (a primary care rotation) because there was a sports medicine physician in the office. basically sweet talked my way, wrote a petition and went as high as the dean to get the rotations I wanted. There was no way I was letting my 50K tuition go to waste - heck what do we get out of our tution for our 3rd an 4th years -- not much i tell ya.

You just gotta be creative and find ways to expose yourself in the ortho world. Rotate at a hospital where there is an ortho residency and attend their lectures/etc. We have 3rd year students right now that attend all our lectures and education. Let me tell you that has made an impression on our program direction. Good luck!

Awesome! Thanks, Orthojoe. I figured it was going to be something I might have to work around. I didn't imagine they would just waive that requirement on an individual basis. And yea, I'm not particularly looking forward to the possibility of spending 50k on psych, OB/GYN, gas and rads rotations (no offense to those who are), but especially when I need to get out there and audition for Ortho spots. Seems like I'll have to up my sweet-talking skills over the next year or so.

While we're on the topic, if you only audition at 5 (6 with that 1/2 month?) locations, did that decrease the field of places where you could interview and realistically match at? Being that auditions are so highly regarded, is it even possible to expect an interview from somewhere outside of where you rotated?

We all went through this. Its a stupid political game played by medical schools. I actually ended up getting about 5 1/2 months of ortho when in reality I was only supposed to get 4. I made good friends with my residency coordinator and classified one of my orthopedic rotations as sports medicine (a primary care rotation) because there was a sports medicine physician in the office. basically sweet talked my way, wrote a petition and went as high as the dean to get the rotations I wanted. There was no way I was letting my 50K tuition go to waste - heck what do we get out of our tution for our 3rd an 4th years -- not much i tell ya.

You just gotta be creative and find ways to expose yourself in the ortho world. Rotate at a hospital where there is an ortho residency and attend their lectures/etc. We have 3rd year students right now that attend all our lectures and education. Let me tell you that has made an impression on our program direction. Good luck!

I thought there was no such thing as a "DO match" anymore. Dont you have to compete for spots with everyone in a single match?

I thought there was no such thing as a "DO match" anymore. Dont you have to compete for spots with everyone in a single match?
Probably not happening for awhile. Maybe 2018

Probably not happening for awhile. Maybe 2018
Possibly as late as 2020 or 2021. Also, no one seems to knew when MD students will be able to apply to former AOA programs- again, could be as late as 2020/2021.

Possibly as late as 2020 or 2021. Also, no one seems to knew when MD students will be able to apply to former AOA programs- again, could be as late as 2020/2021.
It's anyone's guess. I have it on good authority that it is very possible that we wil have a single match in 2018. I hope that is wrong cause I want AOA ortho without the added MD applicants.
I know that the merger is to take place between 2016 and 2020 but apparently that isn't indicative that the single match will happen afterwards.

Okay, again, though, I think at this point program directors will have to realize that they aren't truly making their selections. They've been given a pool of rotators selected by a someone else in the department -- perhaps they had guidelines for selecting rotators, perhaps they took every rotator who applied -- but if programs only choose from the rotator pool, they aren't necessarily getting a shot at the top applicants. Programs must realize that every applicant will have done several rotations somewhere, so it's not like a person will come to them without knowing things about the field. It just seems the limitations of these rotations are a strange way to sort all this out.
They know what they're getting with the kids that have rotated with them. They don't have enough time to waste interviewing unknowns.

Congratulations to everyone who recently matched.

I was curious, if current residents could weigh in, does doing a two week vs four week rotation matter much? My schedule is sort of hectic and would like to schedule two week rotations for a few programs. Would that hurt my chances?

Also, I've heard that programs may let you know if you are going to be ranked/selected. Has anyone found that to be true?

Thanks in advance

As an incoming MS1 interested in ortho I feel like I am screwed fighting an uphill battle in hopes of matching in 2019, I wish things were a little more straightforward.. Sucks that MDs can apply to our residencies soon but we can't apply to theirs..

Last edited:
As an incoming MS1 interested in ortho I feel like I am screwed fighting an uphill battle in hopes of matching in 2019, I wish things were a little more straightforward.. Sucks that MDs can apply to our residencies soon but we can't apply to theirs..

Whut?

AOA ACGME merger, allowing MDs to apply to previous AOA residency programs. Where did I lose you?

DOs will be able to apply to current ACGME residencies at the same time as applying to current AOA residencies after the merger/joint match is implemented as they will all be ACGME accredited. DOs will be able to apply to "MD residencies" in other words.

People have varying opinions on the issue, but personally I would ecstatic if I was you. This is favorable to top-tier DO applicants.

AOA ACGME merger, allowing MDs to apply to previous AOA residency programs. Where did I lose you?

I feel a little embarrassed taking a piece of their cake and not sharing our pie with them.

Maybe things would be better if DOs couldn't apply to ACGME residencies. We would only have to worry about the super competitive (and pissed off) DO students fighting for those AOA Ortho spots.