DO Ortho Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DOs will be able to apply to current ACGME residencies at the same time as applying to current AOA residencies after the merger/joint match is implemented as they will all be ACGME accredited. DOs will be able to apply to "MD residencies" in other words.

People have varying opinions on the issue, but personally I would ecstatic if I was you. This is favorable to top-tier DO applicants.
We still can apply ACGME but the bias is what prevents us from matching. I dont see how a merger will change the minds of PDs across the nation, whereas it WILL allow MDs to apply for previous unattainable spots. Will there be bias against MDs in AOA ortho spots? Who knows. At this point I'm just skeptical about the merger and jumping aboard the "it will help our profession" train.

Members don't see this ad.

We still can apply ACGME but the bias is what prevents us from matching. I dont see how a merger will change the minds of PDs across the nation, whereas it WILL allow MDs to apply for previous unattainable spots. Will there be bias against MDs in AOA ortho spots? Who knows. At this point I'm just skeptical about the merger and jumping aboard the "it will help our profession" train.

Ahh, I see what you're saying. I took "can't apply" too literally, my bad. What you just said is a reasonable and valid concern.

The way I look at it is that solid MD applicants will likely not be shooting for community programs in relatively uncompetitive locations (for the most part) after willingly completing whatever the required OMM competency certification is. In addition to that, they'll be applying with DOs PDs reading their app. On the other hand, top DOs will be able to apply to ACGME programs they could potentially match at but don't because of the massive gamble on backing out of the AOA match. It will help those top applicants with a total package - scores, research, letters, etc.

With that said, there will be some competitive MDs that want the previous AOA spots because of location, program ties, etc. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Personally, I'd take the hit of losing AOA spots to apply to ACGME programs concurrently but that's because I'm heavy into research and university programs interest me.

Ahh, I see what you're saying. I took "can't apply" too literally, my bad. What you just said is a reasonable and valid concern.

The way I look at it is that solid MD applicants will likely not be shooting for community programs in relatively uncompetitive locations (for the most part) after willingly completing whatever the required OMM competency certification is. In addition to that, they'll be applying with DOs PDs reading their app. On the other hand, top DOs will be able to apply to ACGME programs they could potentially match at but don't because of the massive gamble on backing out of the AOA match. It will help those top applicants with a total package - scores, research, letters, etc.

With that said, there will be some competitive MDs that want the previous AOA spots because of location, program ties, etc. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Personally, I'd take the hit of losing AOA spots to apply to ACGME programs concurrently but that's because I'm heavy into research and university programs interest me.
Oh I see, I wasn't aware that you are implying that there will be one unified match. Do we know this will happen or is this just hypothetical? If there will be one match it makes things better IMO because as you said we don't have to choose one or the other matches.

Members don't see this ad :)
DOs can match at acgme ortho programs. You just gotta be outstanding, amd have a good backup plan. Its just that most outstanding applicants are risk averse and go AOA ortho because of the bird in the hand theorem.

Reactions: 1 users

Another interesting thing to note about the AOA ortho matches is that particularly on the osteopathic side, it is my understanding that a rotation with them is basically an unofficial requirement for the program, whereas for the ACGME it is more numbers and interview based. So likely there could in fact be plenty of MD grads gunning for some of the decent AOA ortho spots, but without knowing that they had to do a rotation there, they are essentially not even in the competition - regardless of how good they are or what school they are coming from.

I dont know, just something I have been thinking about.

Reactions: 2 users