Do pathology residents run codes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted682584

Just a factual question. I can't think of why they would--just wondering. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

In general, pathology residents run FROM codes.

I have heard of patients coding during FNA procedures and while on pheresis/transfusion medicine. If you are ACLS certified then I suppose you could participate if a warm body is needed but most hospitals have code teams that would be called.

I'm not sure what the response would be if a pathology resident tried to RUN a code.

Reactions: 1 user
I ran a code once while on the transfusion medicine service. Afterwards, all of my clinical colleges slapped me on the back and called me their friend. They said they respected my career decision and invited me out for beers after work. I was never picked last for pickup basketball ever again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I seen em enough on TV that I think I could do it.

I just stood by with a scalpel and waited until they called the code, then did the freshest autopsies ever.

(just kidding... warm autopsies are creepy for most of us FPs, including this one).

Reactions: 3 users
Sure

In Canada our PGY 1 consists of 6 months of medicine and 6 months of surgical specialties (including gyn). I've run tons of codes, but never lead one. I always refused to intubate. Still I managed quite a few ''precodes'' (atropine to bradycardic patients, bipaps, lasix etc).

Yes, this is what I hear from another Canadian. Thanks for replying!

At the hospitals I have worked at, no, pathology residents do have to maintain ACLS certification in most places but do not participate in clinical call or run codes.