Do people send in more than the requested number of LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinkocopies3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does sending in more than the requested number of LOR's hurt your application?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so. Especially not if you have a pre-med committee evaluation.

My advisor said "you might as well send them all, they don't have to read them."

But I don't really know . . .

I think it depends on the school. I asked my advisor about sending an additional LOR and she said UofAZ is pretty strict about the number of LORs and I shouldn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always sent in 9 LORs with my application in addition to my pre-med committee letter. I never had a problem. Only worry about this if the school specifically asks not to send greater than a certain number.

like neuronix said...if the school has a specific MAX then do not send more than that. why make them think you cant follow directions.

but for the schools that have a MINIMUM requirement number like 3 (2 sci, 1 nonsci) I sent in the 5 I had.

My school has a letter service (people send them in to the pre-med office and then they copy and send them out in a packet to all the schools you designate). Some schools said absolutely not to send more than X number of letters, but they sent out all 6 anyway and it didn't hurt me a bit.

If someone else is sending them all, it is all right, but if you were having people send them individually, it might seem like you weren't paying attention.

my schools letter service allows me to choose which letters to send out. i thought all schools that have letter services have this option on their website.

My undergrad had a list of the number of reference letters required/allowed for each school medical and how much of each type they wanted (science, non-science, etc.) The schools that allowed more than the certain number of letters had a (+) next to them. You might want to check with the Career Services Center at your school.

jlee9531 said:
my schools letter service allows me to choose which letters to send out. i thought all schools that have letter services have this option on their website.

My pre-med office is just lazy and just sends the same letters to everyone. (they will send different packets to each school as you designate, but they really don't like to).