Do Secondaries Really Matter or do they just want our money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LolaLee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what y'all thought.

Members don't see this ad.

LolaLee said:

I think they may matter more than primary apps. They wouldn't ask the same questions if they planned to read the first answers is what I'm thinking.

Well, I think they matter, but I wouldn't say they matter more than primary apps. That is, if you count GPA and MCAT as your primary app. Someone with a 4.0 and 40 MCAT probably doesn't need to do as well on the secondary to get an interview as someone with a 3.4 and 29.

Members don't see this ad :)
willthatsall said:
Well, I think they matter, but I wouldn't say they matter more than primary apps. That is, if you count GPA and MCAT as your primary app. Someone with a 4.0 and 40 MCAT probably doesn't need to do as well on the secondary to get an interview as someone with a 3.4 and 29.

Ah. Well, I'm just talking the subjective portion of the primary. Your numbers are just part of you as a candidate.

I think the PS on the primary app is almost pointless because it gets covered again on secondaries, basically.

It's just another money making screening tool to weed out students. The primary app is a pain but it's pretty easy to clicka couple of buttons and send it out to 30+ schools. Secondaries are a way for schools to see if you really want to go to their while also making some easy money.

Schools like BU don't even joke around and jsut ask for money asap. I've heard of Georgetown cashing checks and sending rejection letters within a day of each other. I think Mayo does something similar, "Pay us money so we can reject you now."

But a lot of times you'll run into questions like "Why this school" or talk about some more experiences. But like everything it depends on the school. I think UC Davis and USC had something like 5-8 essay type questions that were extremely stupid. OSU had two really long essay questions, and one of em I jsut copied and pasted my PS since it answered the question perfectly.

School do use them to an extent so don't write anything *****ic on em. But I think they're a waste of time.

MoosePilot said:
Ah. Well, I'm just talking the subjective portion of the primary. Your numbers are just part of you as a candidate.

I think the PS on the primary app is almost pointless because it gets covered again on secondaries, basically.

This depends on the school. From my understanding, from this board, NJ schools don't require essays. UF doesn't require essays unless you are reapplying.

So the primary essay does serve some purpose. The schools which do require essays want it for you to expand in more detail on the things you briefly touched upon in your primaries.

I can only speak from my own experience, but the first two schools I got interviews at were the schools I wrote the best secondary essays for.

ooo, I didn't know UF doesn't ask for essays...that's interesting, but good to know!

angel03 said:
ooo, I didn't know UF doesn't ask for essays...that's interesting, but good to know!

I read that on here actually.

It was in the secondary prompt thread at the top of the preallo forum. Its a sticky and everything is in alphabetical order. So I saw it on there some time ago. They only have reapplicants write an essay explaining how they have made their application stronger.

Did you start your USF secondary yet?? I know that Rel started giving them out today.

gujuDoc said:
I read that on here actually.

It was in the secondary prompt thread at the top of the preallo forum. Its a sticky and everything is in alphabetical order. So I saw it on there some time ago. They only have reapplicants write an essay explaining how they have made their application stronger.

Did you start your USF secondary yet?? I know that Rel started giving them out today.

I was just looking over my secondary from UF last year and it doesn't mention essays for reapplicants anywhere. Do they send out a different secondary if they see you're a reapplicant? Also, is the essay just something like "tell us how you improved since last time?"

LolaLee said:

Some secondaries are simply "Send us a check for $75." Some require thought and work (EVMS took me forever, then they waitlisted me). But overall, does it matter if secondaries matter? You gotta do them, you gotta send them a check, so you might as well do it all the right way!

This is my theory on secondaries. The adcoms have to hire a staff to sort through mail, organize applications, answer phones, and probably pay interviewers for their time to spend with you. They have a right to ask for compensation from each applicant who is a potential student just for the trouble of reading through our applications. Running this kind of operation isn't cheap.

Since there is no way to jump from primary application to acceptance, we have no choice but to fork over whatever they ask for if we're serious about applying, or our EC's PS's and LOR's will find the way to the shredder. If you're concerned about costs, most schools have a fee waiver if you qualify. That should provide some reassurance, but does it?

If most schools send out 2ndary w/o screening, isn't that just a primary app all in itself? especially those eps that ask "why do you want to be a doctor?" "What kind of talents can you bring into the field?"