Do you need work experience outside of IPPE/APPE to get hired?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexington2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I go through Pharm school without working an outside job, will it be difficult to get hired after graduation?

The IPPE/APPE hours meet all the requirements to get licensed in my state, so an outside job is not needed.

I'm currently a P3 and I got a lowball offer for a summer intern job.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it helps to have experience but by no means it's a requirement. One of my friends got hired as staff pharmacist in small town Oregon with no experience!

Would you rather hire someone with 4 years of experience working for CVS or someone who completed the minimum requirement?

Seriously, why did you even go to pharmacy school? Do you think people would just hire you because you have a doctor of pharmacy? You are just one out the 15,000 graduates with a doctor of pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will definitely limit your opportunities - it is not a requirement, but I have never seen anyone hired at my institution who had zero experience. Who cares if it is a low ball, you need it to get a decent job after graduation

If I go through Pharm school without working an outside job, will it be difficult to get hired after graduation?

The IPPE/APPE hours meet all the requirements to get licensed in my state, so an outside job is not needed.

I'm currently a P3 and I got a lowball offer for a summer intern job.
What is the offer lower than? Do you have a high paying alternative option? Or is it just lower than you want to give up sitting around playing video games? If the former, it's a good idea to get some experience, but not absolutely critical. If the latter, I have no advice that could help you.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the offer lower than? Do you have a high paying alternative option? Or is it just lower than you want to give up sitting around playing video games? If the former, it's a good idea to get some experience, but not absolutely critical. If the latter, I have no advice that could help you.

The offer is $11 per hour. I am a non-traditional student and pharmacy is my second career. I can make $20-25 per hour working freelance at my old career.

Also, I don't play videogames.

Is this in a retail setting or hospital?
hospital
But, you are going to find the similar things in retail - if you are talking one summer - you are talking $480 hours (40 hours x 16 weeks) = $4800 different - that is a decent amount of money - but if it helps you get a job two weeks earlier - it paid for itself

The offer is $11 per hour. I am a non-traditional student and pharmacy is my second career. I can make $20-25 per hour working freelance at my old career.

Also, I don't play videogames.

Look at it this way...You have borrowed a boatload of student loans and you are worried about a $10 difference?

You should worry about the saturation and how you are planning to outcompete your classmates.

Btw, there is a lot of age discrimination in this profession. Don't think you are going to work until you are 65.

Look at it this way...You have borrowed a boatload of student loans and you are worried about a $10 difference?

You should worry about the saturation and how you are planning to outcompete your classmates.

Btw, there is a lot of age discrimination in this profession. Don't think you are going to work until you are 65.

This.

You're already investing money and time for pharmacy school. The $10/hr difference will mean less in the long run, especially if your goal is residency (not sure what your short-/long-term goals are). How many hours are you planning on working per month anyway? Is it a meaningful difference in salary for you?

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't listen to all these people. You are non-traditional. I'm' guessing you are in your late 20's, or 30's or 40's. You have a real job and are going to pharmacy school to start another career. Continue what you are doing to support yourself. When you are at IPPE and APPE, make sure you network, and get to know the hiring managers and the bosses. Tell them what you do, talk about your passion (obviously you are passionate enough to make a career change and take a non-traditional route), and explain to them what job you do now to support yourself. They will listen.

People can hire any monkeys. A monkey who worked at CVS for 10 years as a tech and student, and is still and idiot will not be a pharmacist. A monkey who can learn and adapts, and is quick and smart and energetic will be the one someone hires.

You want to do yourself a favor? Get a job, and work there one day a week every single week until you graduate. Then you will have a 2, or 3, or 4 years of pharmacy experience by the time you graduate. That's doable, and that's the smart thing to do.

Getting a job is all about who you know. You have to know people. People means not only hiring managers, not only bosses, not only DMs or RxSups or PDMs, but also other pharmacists and other pharmacy students, because 5 years down the line these pharmacists and pharmacy students will be bosses and pharmacists, and you want people who can also vouch for you or recommend you.

I been working retail for 4 years now. I have zero hospital experience. Never ever once worked in a hospital. I made an IV once. I'll be hired at a big academic teaching hospital soon. It's all about knowing people and showing you are smart, capable, passionate, and willing to learn. So stay at your current job to support yourself. $10/hr is huge, especially when its $25/hr verus $15/hr.

I wouldn't listen to all these people. You are non-traditional. I'm' guessing you are in your late 20's, or 30's or 40's. You have a real job and are going to pharmacy school to start another career. Continue what you are doing to support yourself. When you are at IPPE and APPE, make sure you network, and get to know the hiring managers and the bosses. Tell them what you do, talk about your passion (obviously you are passionate enough to make a career change and take a non-traditional route), and explain to them what job you do now to support yourself. They will listen.

People can hire any monkeys. A monkey who worked at CVS for 10 years as a tech and student, and is still and idiot will not be a pharmacist. A monkey who can learn and adapts, and is quick and smart and energetic will be the one someone hires.

You want to do yourself a favor? Get a job, and work there one day a week every single week until you graduate. Then you will have a 2, or 3, or 4 years of pharmacy experience by the time you graduate. That's doable, and that's the smart thing to do.

Getting a job is all about who you know. You have to know people. People means not only hiring managers, not only bosses, not only DMs or RxSups or PDMs, but also other pharmacists and other pharmacy students, because 5 years down the line these pharmacists and pharmacy students will be bosses and pharmacists, and you want people who can also vouch for you or recommend you.

I been working retail for 4 years now. I have zero hospital experience. Never ever once worked in a hospital. I made an IV once. I'll be hired at a big academic teaching hospital soon. It's all about knowing people and showing you are smart, capable, passionate, and willing to learn. So stay at your current job to support yourself. $10/hr is huge, especially when its $25/hr verus $15/hr.

Couldn't disagree more. Much harder to get a job with no experience. Your example is apples to oranges as you have experience as a pharmacist, just not a hospital pharmacist. It's not the mechanical stuff, it's the judgements you have to make and there is no substitute for experience. The caveat is you have have to have a good preceptor. Someone who care enough to be a mentor and a teacher.

Well, looks like there is a healthy amount of disagreement here. So, there's no right answer. Whatever fits your life.