Doctivism---Is it the new normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why is it so hard for people to admit/acknowledge that there is institutionalized injustice against minorities in this country? Why do so many people take it so personally?

I imagine that you might sing a different tune if you ever need police protection.

Wow, wanting cops to do their job means that we can't criticize them? Are you dense?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
What's the sound of the world out there?
Those crunching noises pervading the air...
It's man devouring man my dear,
And who are we to deny it in here!

I hope everyone in this thread realizes how unique the problems we are discussing are to the US in the context of wealthy nations.

It reminds me of a very poignant Onion title atop a picture of UC Santa Barbara following the shooting there not too long ago:

"The only country where this happens once a month says there is nothing we can do about it."

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a problem if their public image is so bad that people don't feel they can turn to them when needed?

Look at the many stories out there about getting restraining orders which piss off the threatening party and then aren't enforced. Look at the experience of sexual assault victims who attempt to use the legal system. Look at the stories of families who call for help with a mentally ill or challenged individual (or even an immature child) and that person ends up dead. I honestly can think of shockingly few situations where I would call the cops for anything but checking off the boxes for an eventual lawsuit or insurance report.
It is a problem if their image is that bad. But I was wondering why you personally would not trust them. You make it sound as if the cops have actually done something to you specifically to make you not trust them. I mean I have had a few encounters with cops that were extremely irritating and made me think that they were dinguses, but I never felt unsafe or in danger in any way. From your examples above, it sounds like your distrust from the cops comes entirely what you have heard. I think that is a completely overblown representation of how an average encounter with a cop goes. Of course there are instances where cops act out of line or screw up, but so does anybody in any profession. Almost anybody who is not committing a crime has nothing to worry about.

It is a problem if their image is that bad. But I was wondering why you personally would not trust them. You make it sound as if the cops have actually done something to you specifically to make you not trust them. I mean I have had a few encounters with cops that were extremely irritating and made me think that they were dinguses, but I never felt unsafe or in danger in any way. From your examples above, it sounds like your distrust from the cops comes entirely what you have heard. I think that is a completely overblown representation of how an average encounter with a cop goes. Of course there are instances where cops act out of line or screw up, but so does anybody in any profession. Almost anybody who is not committing a crime has nothing to worry about.
And from friends who have tried to work with the police following sexual assault, which happened to be relevant to the threats in that instance...The issue isn't always them directly endangering you, but if odds are they'll be useless in protecting you and may even make you feel worse on top of it, why would you ever ask them for help?

Why is it so hard for people to admit/acknowledge that there is institutionalized injustice against minorities in this country? Why do so many people take it so personally?

Wow, wanting cops to do their job means that we can't criticize them? Are you dense?

Did I say that you cannot criticize them? I quoted your erroneous statement in my previous post. You may want to check your own density there, Einstein.

Funny that you decry people taking things personally, and then go on to insult my intelligence for questioning your extreme statement that police forces are now "just a jobs program". I hope you gain some sense before you become an actual physician.

This fad is so annoying!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/congressional-staffers-walk-out-to-protest-killings-by-police/

10848638_10152806886341066_8076425691616074630_o.jpg

Surely everyone will have forgotten about this in a year, just like Kony 2012.

People exercising their civil duty upon feeling called to action by repeated national events are so annoying! Where are all the cat videos?! Ugh.

THE PEOPLE DEMAND MORE CAT VIDEOS! WHERE ARE THEY????

THIS IS DEMOCRACY! GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT!!!

(or the corporations, because we're not really a democracy soooo I guess we'll just have to wait to see what corps want to do)

If the real problem is police brutality and/or abuse of power, then a protest that calls for independent investigations of such claims and for police to where a recording device at all times is going to be much more effective than a generalized XXX4Blacklives campaign. The potential for police brutality extends beyond the black community. Given their roles in society and the power that accompanies that role, it only makes sense to have better safe guards in place.

I think the problem is that it is not just protesting against injustice in general. In this case, future docs and other young activists are protesting against cop violence against black men. If it was happening to Chinese men disproportionately and frequently, then "ChineseLivesMatter" would be an appropriate tag. And others could join in and say gee I agree with that. This is a more focused naming than just saying all lives matter. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
If the real problem is police brutality and/or abuse of power, then a protest that calls for independent investigations of such claims and for police to where a recording device at all times is going to be much more effective than a generalized XXX4Blacklives campaign. The potential for police brutality extends beyond the black community. Given their roles in society and the power that accompanies that role, it only makes sense to have better safe guards in place.

I am glad to have such an expert on social movements and effective protest movements in our midst!

Recordings and autopsy findings will certainly help the cause. I'm sure it would have helped in the Garner case... oh wait.

I imagine that you might sing a different tune if you ever need police protection.

You mean when they pass the job on to detectives (real police) to figure out who done it? Let's face it, being a police officer is a job (This doesn't make them bad people). Plain and simple. These people don't join out of some ideal or desire to combat crime.

Fact:
-Prosecutors go after what they think they can get
--This means the poor and defenseless get a higher rate convictions (or plea deals) and charged with higher crimes
vs. (same crime)
-Rich/Middle class/ etc.
--Lower rate of convictions (or better plea deals) and charged with lesser crimes

Justice? sounds like laziness.

-Maybe if the police were like what the Europeans had........

When have you ever called the police and things actually got worse and you felt less safe after they arrived? I am genuinely curious.
Not me personally but I volunteered as a domestic violence/sexual assault victim advocate and we definitely had clients who did.

I don't think all cops are douche bags or anything like that. Most do it because they really do want to keep their communities safe, but there tend to be bad apples who are on a power trip

Not me personally but I volunteered as a domestic violence/sexual assault victim advocate and we definitely had clients who did.

I don't think all cops are douche bags or anything like that. Most do it because they really do want to keep their communities safe, but there tend to be bad apples who are on a power trip

Kind of like medicine amiriteguys
or politics
or anything
because human nature

/checksout.

Reactions: 1 users

Absolutely. But I don't think wrecking the reputation for the entirety of cops is a good idea to point out a couple bad apples. Those cops should be disciplined appropriately which I understand many people think they have not been. Okay, but now we have the media ripping every cop as if they are an extension of the klan. That is not helping relations or progressing any kind of positive action. My problem is mostly with the media is what I'm getting. There's too much sensational nonsense on both sides of the issue.

Absolutely. But I don't think wrecking the reputation for the entirety of cops is a good idea to point out a couple bad apples. Those cops should be disciplined appropriately which I understand many people think they have not been. Okay, but now we have the media ripping every cop as if they are an extension of the klan. That is not helping relations or progressing any kind of positive action. My problem is mostly with the media is what I'm getting. There's too much sensational nonsense on both sides of the issue.
I can't speak for the media, I don't even have cable.

What I think is that this is an issue of implicit bias which is present in damn near all of us. I don't think that the cops in these cases are grand wizards or that they were going out that day looking to hurt black people. What I think is that we live in a society that portrays black males as more aggressive, more violent, and more dangerous than white males. I think that this gets internalized and then law enforcement (physicians, lawyers, really any group) subconsciously react to black males as a threat in situations where they are not. Compound that with the adrenaline that's going on with a police officer responding to a possibly hostile situation, and you get these tragedies.

And combine that with the fact that it's damn hard to get bad cops fired and stay fired or actually face consequences for actions and you have a problem that compounds itself.

I can't speak for the media, I don't even have cable.

What I think is that this is an issue of implicit bias which is present in damn near all of us. I don't think that the cops in these cases are grand wizards or that they were going out that day looking to hurt black people. What I think is that we live in a society that portrays black males as more aggressive, more violent, and more dangerous than white males. I think that this gets internalized and then law enforcement (physicians, lawyers, really any group) subconsciously react to black males as a threat in situations where they are not. Compound that with the adrenaline that's going on with a police officer responding to a possibly hostile situation, and you get these tragedies.
Yes, everyone is biased to some extent whether they admit it or not (or whether they realize it). Its part of being human. Do you think that maybe the cops might have a reason to suspect low SES urban black males as being more likely to commit a violent crime? I am not going to go find the source for statistics which I am sure you have all seen if not already in this thread, but black intercity males are statistically more likely to commit a violent crime. If a cop is around these crimes everyday, is it really unreasonable for them not to develop a bias if they are seeing crimes being committed by one group more than others? I am not saying it is morally admirable, and I am not saying that it isn't at least partly due to a cops preexisting prejudice. The cops actually have some justification of being more cautious of a certain group if statistics support them and not just prejudice. Of course, I can see how this could be translated to society seeing all black males as more aggressive even if it truly is only low SES urban black males which is unfortunate. Also, high stress and intense situations, like you mentioned, probably exacerbates cop's biases to a point where they may over react. However, I do not think every instance that is being protested currently deals with cops acting out of line (I agree in a couple cases, but not with what happened in Ferguson. Please don't dispute me on this because I am not going to even bother arguing this.)

but black intercity males are statistically more likely to commit a violent crime. If a cop is around these crimes everyday, is it really unreasonable for them not to develop a bias if they are seeing crimes being committed by one group more than others?

More likely to commit violent crimes or more likely to get caught? :thinking:

Yes, everyone is biased to some extent whether they admit it or not (or whether they realize it). Its part of being human. Do you think that maybe the cops might have a reason to suspect low SES urban black males as being more likely to commit a violent crime? I am not going to go find the source for statistics which I am sure you have all seen if not already in this thread, but black intercity males are statistically more likely to commit a violent crime. If a cop is around these crimes everyday, is it really unreasonable for them not to develop a bias if they are seeing crimes being committed by one group more than others? I am not saying it is morally admirable, and I am not saying that it isn't at least partly due to a cops preexisting prejudice. The cops actually have some justification of being more cautious of a certain group if statistics support them and not just prejudice. Of course, I can see how this could be translated to society seeing all black males as more aggressive even if it truly is only low SES urban black males which is unfortunate. Also, high stress and intense situations, like you mentioned, probably exacerbates cop's biases to a point where they may over react. However, I do not think every instance that is being protested currently deals with cops acting out of line (I agree in a couple cases, but not with what happened in Ferguson. Please don't dispute me on this because I am not going to even bother arguing this.)
Wait...did you seriously end this with 'please do not disagree with me'?
If you decide to stop responding, stop responding. Don't expect other people to do so because you intend to.

More likely to commit violent crimes AND more likely to get caught.
But why is that? Maybe politicians should focus on improving the conditions of the inner city.

Yet who know's how?
-More roads - Does what? Many ride the bus and in the inner city they are fairly adequate.
-More education - Have to focus on them passing high school first - then again more goes into this
-Your mind is only as fit as your body - Definitely agree, get these people into gym classes, cooking courses, and whatnot.
-Access to jobs, this would be improved by increasing education I think.

It's rather interesting. I'm white myself and I've spent a lot of time in Europe. People are just healthier there, there fast food options are shockingly include things like rice and people walk everywhere. The fittest people are here in the U.S. but so are the unfittest. I think this has a strong impact on crime rates.

-The most unfit countries include places like the USA and Mexico, that correlates with their high crime (relative to their counterparts).

But why is that? Maybe politicians should focus on improving the conditions of the inner city.

Yet who know's how?
-More roads - Does what? Many ride the bus and in the inner city they are fairly adequate.
-More education - Have to focus on them passing high school first - then again more goes into this
-Your mind is only as fit as your body - Definitely agree, get these people into gym classes, cooking courses, and whatnot.
-Access to jobs, this would be improved by increasing education I think.

It's rather interesting. I'm white myself and I've spent a lot of time in Europe. People are just healthier there, there fast food options are shockingly include things like rice and people walk everywhere. The fittest people are here in the U.S. but so are the unfittest. I think this has a strong impact on crime rates.

-The most unfit countries include places like the USA and Mexico, that correlates with their high crime (relative to their counterparts).

Why is that? Most likely due to the socioeconomic status of black inner city individuals. Studies show violent crime is linked to poverty. It would make sense for police to more closely watch those more likely to commit violent crime, which happens to be poor, black, inner-city individuals.

Improving conditions in the inner-city isn't a responsibility that falls FULLY on government. Sure, they play a part, but so do the individuals living in these communities. Personal responsibility is a large factor that comes into play here.

I think it's silly to think level of fitness is tied to crime. Russia, Congo, Pakistan, Estonia all have obesity rates much lower than the US. These places all have high crime. Crime is a combination of several factors, but I'd be shocked if you were able to show me a study that correlates crime to "fitness" levels.

Reactions: 1 user
Did I say that you cannot criticize them? I quoted your erroneous statement in my previous post. You may want to check your own density there, Einstein.

Funny that you decry people taking things personally, and then go on to insult my intelligence for questioning your extreme statement that police forces are now "just a jobs program". I hope you gain some sense before you become an actual physician.

You did not quote me in your previous post. I did not make that statement. I was responding to your reply of "sing a different tune", which honestly sounds like a thuggish threat...you don't see the irony in that?

What you are saying is that "don't talk bad about cops because you might need them one day." How does that even make any sense. It is their job to protect and serve no matter what people say about them; it is your type of attitude that holds them to a higher regard than the average citizen.

More likely to commit violent crimes AND more likely to get caught.
I don't buy it. There are good people in bad people in every race. It's easy for data to get skewed when some police law-enforcement tactics disproportionately target certain groups of people.

Why is that? Most likely due to the socioeconomic status of black inner city individuals. Studies show violent crime is linked to poverty. It would make sense for police to more closely watch those more likely to commit violent crime, which happens to be poor, black, inner-city individuals.

Improving conditions in the inner-city isn't a responsibility that falls FULLY on government. Sure, they play a part, but so do the individuals living in these communities. Personal responsibility is a large factor that comes into play here.

I think it's silly to think level of fitness is tied to crime. Russia, Congo, Pakistan, Estonia all have obesity rates much lower than the US. These places all have high crime. Crime is a combination of several factors, but I'd be shocked if you were able to show me a study that correlates crime to "fitness" levels.

Depends on how you feel the govt bears responsibility for policies such as restrictive covenants, redlining, etc which contributed to such problems in the first place.

Last edited:
Wait...did you seriously end this with 'please do not disagree with me'?
If you decide to stop responding, stop responding. Don't expect other people to do so because you intend to.
How did I say don't disagree with me? Disagree with me all you want. I made a point where I brought up the Ferguson trail, and then I said do not bother arguing with me on the Ferguson decision. I am not going waste my energy debating that. However, if you want to actually pick out something else I said and discuss it instead of just trying to twist around what I am saying, then I would be happy talk about that.

Edit: I should have clarified that I was talking specifically about the Ferguson decision when saying do not bother disputing me. From seeing other parts of this thread, I think we could agree that that argument is going no where.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not trying to override any other extreme here.

I'm not sure the U.S. and Mexico are a counterpart to the extreme poverty in the Congo, the extreme lack of law (part of the country is run by the Taliban) major conflict with a nuclear neighbor Pakistan, etc.

Russia is not a first world nation and is almost the same as Mexico (The fall of the USSR and other social issues are pretty severe over there in that still backward country).... Furthermore, crime in Russia is declining... not so in Mexico
http://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp

As for articles not hard to find: (I've read none of these btw)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22459489
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3405198/
http://www.nj.com/times-opinion/index.ssf/2014/01/opinion_crime_contributes_dire.html
http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/2008/ChildhoodObesity.htm

-You might be right though... More of a correlation than causation (or even the obesity is caused by living in a high crime area).

Guess I've just seen too many obese people in high crime areas (trailer parks, ghettos, etc.)

I don't buy it. There are good people in bad people in every race. It's easy for data to get skewed when some police law-enforcement tactics disproportionately target certain groups of people.
Obviously there are good and bad in every race. No one is trying to say all black people are bad. That is ridiculous. But, like yanks was saying, 'studies show violent crime is linked to poverty' and there is a higher number of low SES urban black people as well as data showing that they commit more crimes. I see why you would be skeptical of the statistics though. I really is easy to twist any statistic in favor of a particular argument, but I think there is enough data to support this particular claim.

Obviously there are good and bad in every race. No one is trying to say all black people are bad. That is ridiculous. But, like yanks was saying, 'studies show violent crime is linked to poverty' and there is a higher number of low SES urban black people as well as data showing that they commit more crimes. I see why you would be skeptical of the statistics though. I really is easy to twist any statistic in favor of a particular argument, but I think there is enough data to support this particular claim.
Why is the bolded a reality (assuming that the statistics are indeed correct)?

Why do you think that there are more urban blacks committing crime than say whites? Can you shed light on the underlying causes?

I am not going to go find the source for statistics which I am sure you have all seen if not already in this thread, but black intercity males are statistically more likely to commit a violent crime. If a cop is around these crimes everyday, is it really unreasonable for them not to develop a bias if they are seeing crimes being committed by one group more than others?
barkansoc-fig08_004.jpg

Source: Data from Federal Bureau of Investigation. (2011). Crime in the United States, 2010. Washington, DC: Author.

Why do you think that there are more urban blacks committing crime than say whites? Can you shed light on the underlying causes?

Because urban black communities have decided to accept crime as a normal part of life and do little about it other than blame the rest of society for it (some community leaders call them out on this, but not enough). It's not because of poverty either. Sure it's correlated, but for every impoverished community festering with crime, I could find one even poorer somewhere else in the world that probably as safe/safer than typical white suburbia. It's funny Mexico gets mentioned so often considering there are MUCH higher levels of poverty there, yet pre-meds feel safe enough to pad their apps by going over there on mission trips. Ironically enough, most of the crime in Mexico is committed by wealthy cartels and corrupt governments, not starving citizens. Even more amazingly, the crime there is fueled largely by the drug habits of uhh... urban black communities here in America.

Is this scaled to represent each ethnicity's percentage of the population? If not, then it shows blacks commit more crimes per person and you are only further proving my point.
Technically, it only shows that proportionally more blacks are arrested for crimes.

I don't see why my opinion on why this is true is relevant to the argument of if it is true. But, I think it is most likely due to a higher percentage of them are poor compared to other races in an urban settings. I already mentioned higher poverty most likely leads to higher crime above. I don't think race plays any part in this other than statistically there being more poor, urban blacks. Now, why they are poor and mostly continuing a cycle of poverty is another matter... But the whole point I was trying to make is if there are more of this group committing crimes, then it isn't unreasonable that cops are more wary of this group. Even if it isn't ideally what anybody would want cops to do, I think it is still understandable TO A CERTAIN DEGREE.
On the flip side, if a specific group has been victimized by cops at a higher rate, then why shouldn't they be wary of law enforcement? Why should they believe in a system that incarcerates their peers at much higher rates? Imagine being surrounded by perpetual doom...

I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility, but I also understand that certain circumstances are more likely to generate cycles of poverty and violence. And as a nation, we continue to neglect the underlying causes of these horrible scenarios.

Because urban black communities have decided to accept crime as a normal part of life and do little about it other than blame the rest of society for it (some community leaders call them out on this, but not enough). It's not because of poverty either. Sure it's correlated, but for every impoverished community festering with crime, I could find one even poorer somewhere else in the world that probably as safe/safer than typical white suburbia. It's funny Mexico gets mentioned so often considering there are MUCH higher levels of poverty there, yet pre-meds feel safe enough to pad their apps by going over there on mission trips. Ironically enough, most of the crime in Mexico is committed by wealthy cartels and corrupt governments, not starving citizens. Even more amazingly, the crime there is fueled largely by the drug habits of uhh... urban black communities here in America.
What would you do under the following circumstances?
Dad was murdered when I was 3. Older brother is in a juvenile prison. Mom is rarely home and there's barely any food in the fridge. Some guy just offered me $400 to make a drop..."

Even if blacks were arrested twice as often as white because of cop's bias, then they would still be committing more crimes per person. I doubt that cops bias would be so extreme as to completely warrant this outcome.

They should be wary of law enforcement. That argument definitely works both way. I see how this could be very circular where cops have a bias against them and they have a bias against cops because of the cop's bias and so on... They would not believe in that system, but that is possible also if they truly believed it was at no fault of their own that they were incarcerated at this increased rate. As for personal responsibility, it would greatly work out in their favor if more effort was put into reducing crimes in the first place instead of solely pointing to the cop's bias as the root of the problem. In all of the recent controversial cases, would any of those people had been killed in the situation they were if they had not been committing a crime in the first place? No, and if they were or the cops gave them any other grief, then it would be entirely on the cops and no fault of their own. At this point because of what they were doing and how the events in each case played out, it is very hard to determine who was in the wrong. If the person in each case had not been resisting arrest or been threatening, then there would be no contest as to who's fault it actually was.
As to the first part, I would be interested in seeing stats on crime per capita within certain socioeconomic tiers, rather than overall...crime rates and type of crime are definitely correlated to SE status, and sadly racial distribution across SE tiers is also skewed.

For the rest...are you saying that we shouldn't address one aspect of the issue because the other aspect will still be there?

Nobody is advocating that we stop pursuing community outreach programs and the like. Calling for a change in institutional discrimination does not necessitate ignoring the other factors. It just means 'hey, how about we stop ignoring this one.'

On the flip side, if a specific group has been victimized by cops at a higher rate, then why shouldn't they be wary of law enforcement? Why should they believe in a system that incarcerates their peers at much higher rates? Imagine being surrounded by perpetual doom...

I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility, but I also understand that certain circumstances are more likely to generate cycles of poverty and violence. And as a nation, we continue to neglect the underlying causes of these horrible scenarios.

I don't think there is any outright neglect by the nation of the underlying cause. Do you know how desperate many urban PDs are to improve their relations with these communities? Police depts. are simply trying to do their jobs. You need to look at this from the bottom up. If you live in a large city I would highly recommend a ride-out with local law enforcement. I THINK it's your right as a citizen (I've done it, but I don't know if it was actually my right). It's incredibly eye opening, and although it won't swing you 180 in perspective it will definitely soften it. Here's a huge simplification of how things typically go.

1. Increasing levels of violence piss off/scare citizens of city.
2. Black and white citizens alike go to city council and complain to the mayor that something needs to be done about crime in the city.
3. Mayor puts pressure on the PD to do whatever it takes to reduce crime because citizens are fed up.
4. Police respond by making more arrests (often unfairly I admit, because these communities are extremely uncooperative with police. They ain't snitches.) to improve the stats, please the citizens, and save their careers and livelihood.
5. More arrests aren't enough, because prisons are already overcrowded and criminals just get let right back out on the streets due to lack of space or no evidence proving their guilt (no they aren't ALWAYS guilty. Go look up some stats on arrests vs. release/sentencing, and you might be amazed how few arrests actually result in any real punishment).
6. Mayor continues to put pressure on PD because the problem is not going away.
7. Morale within PD is poor and police start getting frustrated and begin taking extreme measures to try and take control of the problem.
8. Somebody in the community does something to set off a cop at exactly the wrong time and gets shot. The community is outraged, and relations worsen.

There is no racism involved in this process. It's just a never ending game of cat and mouse with intense emotions thrown into the mix.

As to your other post. Why was dad murdered? Don't say by a cop because that's not even close to a typical scenario.

I don't think there is any outright neglect by the nation of the underlying cause. Do you know how desperate many urban PDs are to improve their relations with these communities? Police depts. are simply trying to do their jobs. You need to look at this from the bottom up. If you live in a large city I would highly recommend a ride-out with local law enforcement. I THINK it's your right as a citizen (I've done it, but I don't know if it was actually my right). It's incredibly eye opening, and although it won't swing you 180 in perspective it will definitely soften it. Here's a huge simplification of how things typically go.

1. Increasing levels of violence piss off/scare citizens of city.
2. Black and white citizens alike go to city council and complain to the mayor that something needs to be done about crime in the city.
3. Mayor puts pressure on the PD to do whatever it takes to reduce crime because citizens are fed up.
4. Police respond by making more arrests (often unfairly I admit, because these communities are extremely uncooperative with police. They ain't snitches.) to improve the stats, please the citizens, and save their careers and livelihood.
5. More arrests aren't enough, because prisons are already overcrowded and criminals just get let right back out on the streets due to lack of space or no evidence proving their guilt (no they aren't ALWAYS guilty. Go look up some stats on arrests vs. release/sentencing, and you might be amazed how few arrests actually result in any real punishment).
6. Mayor continues to put pressure on PD because the problem is not going away.
7. Morale within PD is poor and police start getting frustrated and begin taking extreme measures to try and take control of the problem.
8. Somebody in the community does something to set off a cop at exactly the wrong time and gets shot. The community is outraged, and relations worsen.

There is no racism involved in this process. It's just a never ending game of cat and mouse with intense emotions thrown into the mix.

As to your other post. Why was dad murdered? Don't say by a cop because that's not even close to a typical scenario.
Drug deal gone bad, stray bullet, etc? Inner city kids throughout this country face these scenarios and people have a tendency to oversimplify their plight. So seriously, what would you do?

Drug deal gone bad, stray bullet, etc? Inner city kids throughout this country face these scenarios and people have a tendency to oversimplify their plight. So seriously, what would you do?

Oh, I'm not at ALL denying here that people brought up in these environments are more likely to pursue a life of crime. I'd make the damn drop if I were that kid.

That's not the point here though. Where does the rest of society play a role here? Serious question, because I'm not saying we don't. BUT- how much taxpayer money needs to continue to be dumped into social programs (which I generally support) that are already aimed specifically at propping up these communities one way or another, before they start advocating within their own neighborhoods for change? They don't even vote! The way I see it, society has been trying to do it's part for decades, but I see little effort from these communities to do theirs.

Why does everyone continue to overlook the fact that odds are, the person who shot the father in that scenario would have never been caught (following sheer statistics of case closures for homicides in these place), because much of the community was probably unwilling to cooperate with PD out of fear of retaliation or being labeled a snitch. I would HOPE to see my community condemning the type of violence that set up such an unfortunate chain of events, but it's ALWAYS silence, until a cop is responsible for the shooting. Cops are just an enemy everyone can agree is an enemy. NOBODY seems to be approaching the problem from this direction though. They go straight to figuring out how the rest of society is responsible for the mess. "Hands up, don't shoot!!!"

Oh, I'm not at ALL denying here that people brought up in these environments are more likely to pursue a life of crime. I'd make the damn drop if I were that kid.

That's not the point here though. Where does the rest of society play a role here? Serious question, because I'm not saying we don't. BUT- how much taxpayer money needs to continue to be dumped into social programs (which I generally support) that are already aimed specifically at propping up these communities one way or another, before they start advocating within their own neighborhoods for change? They don't even vote! The way I see it, society has been trying to do it's part for decades, but I see little effort from these communities to do theirs.

Why does everyone continue to overlook the fact that odds are, the person who shot the father in that scenario would have never been caught (following sheer statistics of case closures for homicides in these place), because much of the community was probably unwilling to cooperate with PD out of fear of retaliation or being labeled a snitch. I would HOPE to see my community condemning the type of violence that set up such an unfortunate chain of events, but it's ALWAYS silence, until a cop is responsible for the shooting. Cops are just an enemy everyone can agree is an enemy. NOBODY seems to be approaching the problem from this direction though. They go straight to figuring out how the rest of society is responsible for the mess. "Hands up, don't shoot!!!"
Right, because there are no community centers, no mentorship programs, no 'Big Brother, Big Sister', no afterschool programs, etc. :rolleyes:
Come on, if you haven't run into several stories about people trying to give back to their communities, or even just older members of the community who open their homes to provide a safe place for the kids to congregate after school, you haven't been reading beyond the headlines. And you're right...these things don't make headlines. But they do happen, and people are working on those angles and tackling those problems. They're just not splashy enough for the front page 99% of the time.

Community programs, by definition, are small, local efforts. Why would that make a national headline?
In order to address police issues, however, people need to catch the attention of those actually in a position to influence the police. Plus, nothing sells like scandal...opening an afterschool program hardly qualifies, but videos of the 'stop and frisk' whistleblowers describing how they were threatened for not meeting arrest quotas and specifically told to target 'male blacks between 14 and 21' sure do. Audio recording of a kid who was walking being chosen for 'stop and frisk' being told by officers that they would break his arm and arrest him just because he was a fecking mutt...that makes headlines. But let's not pretend that headlines reflect everything that is going on in the world equally.

Right, because there are no community centers, no mentorship programs, no 'Big Brother, Big Sister', no afterschool programs, etc. :rolleyes:
Come on, if you haven't run into several stories about people trying to give back to their communities, or even just older members of the community who open their homes to provide a safe place for the kids to congregate after school, you haven't been reading beyond the headlines. And you're right...these things don't make headlines. But they do happen, and people are working on those angles and tackling those problems. They're just not splashy enough for the front page 99% of the time.

Community programs, by definition, are small, local efforts. Why would that make a national headline?
In order to address police issues, however, people need to catch the attention of those actually in a position to influence the police. Plus, nothing sells like scandal...opening an afterschool program hardly qualifies, but videos of the 'stop and frisk' whistleblowers describing how they were threatened for not meeting arrest quotas and specifically told to target 'male blacks between 14 and 21' sure do. Audio recording of a kid who was walking being chosen for 'stop and frisk' being told by officers that they would break his arm and arrest him just because he was a fecking mutt...that makes headlines. But let's not pretend that headlines reflect everything that is going on in the world equally.

Big brother, big sister= Government endorsed program overwhelmingly involving (and funded by) outside communities.

Community center= Nothing unique to black communities, and funded through various sources, including taxpayer.

Mentorship programs= Often taxpayer funded and generally consist of outside communities reaching in.

"Several stories" about people giving back to their communities= Yeah, they are stories because this is rare.

Nothing you mentioned demonstrates any signs of accountability from WITHIN. You've provided no policy proposals or actions that could be taken to help. Only complaining and pointing out injustices. We know there's a damn problem, but please point out exactly what is is, and provide a viable solution. Otherwise, what is the point of this whole discussion? The bolded is incredibly naive, and will never happen as long as there's crime. It's a catch 22. On one hand, governments (local, state, and federal), are dealing with a majority of constituents who are (rightly) concerned about violence in their communities. On the other hand, you have these annoying voices in the background essentially telling lawmakers that they need to be working on policy to make law enforcement less able to execute their jobs effectively because it hurts some feelings. This will NOT happen on any considerable scale. You might get some body cameras and a few weapons taken away, but until the overall levels of violence decline in these places, people will continue to get frisked for no good reason, and some people will even get shot every once in a while by stupid cops for doing stupid things.