Doctor on probation five years ago, should I still add to my shadowing list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schmoodle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, newbie here! I'm gearing up for the next application cycle and am going over my shadowing list. One of my physicians was put on probation for a high-profile case about five years ago. Despite that major case, I had a great experience when he repaired my ACL and when I came back to shadow. Both are a majority of the reason why I am interested in sports medicine and orthopedics.

Should I keep him on my list or just find another orthopod?

Thanks for the advice in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for your advice! After reading some of the other forums, I see that primary/longitudinal care are more ideal. Currently, I have around 50 hours with just IM and pediatrics. Will this be sufficient as a non-traditional business major?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're asking if it's sufficient, you probably don't have enough. This path is the rest of your life. Please, please, please... KNOW what you are getting yourself into.

If you're asking if it's sufficient, you probably don't have enough. This path is the rest of your life. Please, please, please... KNOW what you are getting yourself into.

A little dramatic given the simple question that was asked.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone, newbie here! I'm gearing up for the next application cycle and am going over my shadowing list. One of my physicians was put on probation for a high-profile case about five years ago. Despite that major case, I had a great experience when he repaired my ACL and when I came back to shadow. Both are a majority of the reason why I am interested in sports medicine and orthopedics.

Should I keep him on my list or just find another orthopod?

Thanks for the advice in advance!!!

Was this guy in NYC? Was looking to apply for a scribe position, but saw things online, that sounded very similar to what you are saying, so I decided not to.

The experience seemed great though.

Thank you for your input, I understand where you are coming from. No one wants to wake up with quarter of a million dollars of debt and realize, "Shoot, I should have become an investment banker." :confused:

Leave it off if you have any doubts. It's not worth worrying about. Ortho shadowing does not add significantly to the quality of your application.

It however may add 50 lbs to your benchpress.

Reactions: 1 users