Does it matter what type of pre-med research you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postponemastudentloan

Reaction score
I am a pre-med junior in undergrad and I just joined a research team in August (came from a cc that obviously didn't offer any research opportunities) The research that I am apart of isn't in a lab and isn't necessarily "science" research. It does have to do with human reactions though. I was just wondering if you all think that this research is okay considering it's not in a lab? I really like my research team and I find the research interesting but I don't want to waste my time if it cant count as research for med school applications.

I don't know if this matters, but with this research I also have the chance to be published. Im not sure if this is a big plus for applications or if it even matters at all but I thought I'd just throw it in here.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding, if you are able to understand how the scientific method works and are testing a hypothesis, it is research. If you have the chance to be published that is also a boost. Your description is quite nebulous, so you might want to elaborate on that a little bit more.

Disclaimer: Not on an admissions board. I have just seen many of these questions come up.

Reactions: 3 users
I am a pre-med junior in undergrad and I just joined a research team in August (came from a cc that obviously didn't offer any research opportunities) The research that I am apart of isn't in a lab and isn't necessarily "science" research. It does have to do with human reactions though. I was just wondering if you all think that this research is okay considering it's not in a lab? I really like my research team and I find the research interesting but I don't want to waste my time if it cant count as research for med school applications.

I don't know if this matters, but with this research I also have the chance to be published. Im not sure if this is a big plus for applications or if it even matters at all
For a research experience to add value to a med school application it need not be in a hard science discipline. What is important would be whether it's original, hypothesis-based research that uses the scientific method. And that you can explain it, if asked, at an interview.

Publications are nice to have but are rare among med school applicants. Other evidence of research productivity could be posters or podium presentations.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding, if you are able to understand how the scientific method works and are testing a hypothesis, it is research. If you have the chance to be published that is also a boost. Your description is quite nebulous, so you might want to elaborate on that a little bit more.

Disclaimer: Not on an admissions board. I have just seen many of these questions come up.
Bingo!

Reactions: 1 users
I would add that your relationship with your mentor is also important. Regardless of what kind of research you do specifically, having a mentor that is invested in your training/development and wants you to succeed will be very positive to your potential application both directly (strong LORs) and indirectly (supporting you/nominating you for awards, grants, scholarships, conferences etc.)

Reactions: 2 users