Does this plan sound okay??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prestone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I will make this short and sweet. I've been debating for the past few years whether a career in medicine is what I want to pursue. After many restless nights and countless attempts by friends and family to talk me out of medicine, I've decided that I will make the leap. I will try to make this as brief as possible but I want some advice in regards to my current standing, future coursework, and how I would look to an adcom.

I graduated in 2008 with a BS in Aviation Managment / Professional Pilot with a 3.97. I pursued all of my certifications and became an airline pilot for 3 years. I was furloughed for a year during my first airline employment so I decided to pursue an EMT w/IV certification and graduated with a 4.0 (absolutley loved it). Also during furlough I started an MBA in which I transfered to a anther school after returning to my airline position (distance learning)(currently after 6 classes 4.0). After a year back at the airlines I absolutely knew the career was not what I wanted so I took a position a month ago as an analyst to see if the business world was worth my time. After a month I knew medicine is where my heart is and what I want to pursue.

There is a university attached to a med school where I will start my pre-reqs in Spring 2011. The great thing about my analyst position is I will be able to work part time to help pay for expenses.

I will take......

Spring 2011
Bio 1
Chem 1
Phys 1

Summer 2011
Bio 2
Chem 2
Phys 2

Fall 2011
Org 1
Biochemistry
Calculus/Statistics (took as AP, accepted at previous university, we'll have to see adcoms takes, if not take)

Spring 2012
Org 2
MCAT

Summer 2012
MCAT - Apply - Research??

Fall/Spring 2012.2013
Anatomy/Physiology
Any other Requirements
Genetics

I currently have about 150 hours in an ER volunteering. Over those 2 1/2 years I will volunteer (prob not Spring/Summer 2012 due to courseload). I have about 4 doctors I will shadow (3 MD, 1 DO) before I start in Spring 2012, and I will hopefully do a little bit of research during my application year (if I can find a position).

My concern is that adcoms will see my jumping around when in reality I have been blessed with the oppurtunity to dabble in each of my interests only to specifically find my passion. I will be 27/28 when I start would they still find my non-traditional?

Thanks to anyone who responds!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I will make this short and sweet. I've been debating for the past few years whether a career in medicine is what I want to pursue. After many restless nights and countless attempts by friends and family to talk me out of medicine, I've decided that I will make the leap. I will try to make this as brief as possible but I want some advice in regards to my current standing, future coursework, and how I would look to an adcom.

I graduated in 2008 with a BS in Aviation Managment / Professional Pilot with a 3.97. I pursued all of my certifications and became an airline pilot for 3 years. I was furloughed for a year during my first airline employment so I decided to pursue an EMT w/IV certification and graduated with a 4.0 (absolutley loved it). Also during furlough I started an MBA in which I transfered to a anther school after returning to my airline position (distance learning)(currently after 6 classes 4.0). After a year back at the airlines I absolutely knew the career was not what I wanted so I took a position a month ago as an analyst to see if the business world was worth my time. After a month I knew medicine is where my heart is and what I want to pursue.

There is a university attached to a med school where I will start my pre-reqs in Spring 2011. The great thing about my analyst position is I will be able to work part time to help pay for expenses.

I will take......

Spring 2011
Bio 1
Chem 1
Phys 1

Summer 2011
Bio 2
Chem 2
Phys 2

Fall 2011
Org 1
Biochemistry
Calculus/Statistics (took as AP, accepted at previous university, we'll have to see adcoms takes, if not take)

Spring 2012
Org 2
MCAT

Summer 2012
MCAT - Apply - Research??

Fall/Spring 2012.2013
Anatomy/Physiology
Any other Requirements
Genetics

I currently have about 150 hours in an ER volunteering. Over those 2 1/2 years I will volunteer (prob not Spring/Summer 2012 due to courseload). I have about 4 doctors I will shadow (3 MD, 1 DO) before I start in Spring 2012, and I will hopefully do a little bit of research during my application year (if I can find a position).

My concern is that adcoms will see my jumping around when in reality I have been blessed with the oppurtunity to dabble in each of my interests only to specifically find my passion. I will be 27/28 when I start would they still find my non-traditional?

Thanks to anyone who responds!

yeah, plan sounds fine. The plan is the easy part though, almost everyone has a good plan.

Make sure you take the MCAT serious and have lots of time. Learn pre-reqs better than classes require too. Genetics is good pre-MCAT rather than post.

I will be 27/28 when I start would they still find my non-traditional?
Your age is your age. Who cares.