Donate to Alex Barker's unemployed pharmD fund

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentos

Half full member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heard about this and thought it was fake, but I guess it's real. Sad times.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 7 users
This sounds stupid. That entire site sounds stupid. Some dork in his late 20s acting as a life coach. Yeah, okay.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 17 users
The concept of a life coach should be aggressively mocked

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably better financial prospect than being a pharmacist..

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Wow, that's sad....all talk, no experience. Yeah, let's take life advice from a 20 something year old who reeks* (English) of desperation (sarcasm)

He certainly seems to have web design skills?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
“Donate” but it very clearly states it can’t be classified as a donation. It’s not a non-profit.

I would say good for this enterprising individual trying to create a niche but this type of model just seems scummy.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Thought him and APHA and AACP were tight. Would think he would try to sell this type of program to those organizations. Of course, those organizations would first have to admit there are unemployed pharmacists***cough saturation***

Reactions: 1 users
What a crafty huckster, I'm sadder for having clicked on the link. Get others to fund the intial phase of a job training program that will eventually prey upon the desperate.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, that's sad....all talk, no experience. Yeah, let's take life advice from a 20 something year old who wreaks of desperation (sarcasm)

He certainly seems to have web design skills?
"Rather, I will provide useful content to help you get a little bit ahead in life. Think of it like this, The Happy PharmD will help you become 10{63c12f4adb1b40e61fcf722bb37f7abda8c5f21ed0005d71e2cd9454f8af8289} happier. That’s just enough to notice a change."

Does he tho? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I don't know what to think of it... What jumped at me other than the obvious is that it's a THREE MONTH program.. wow... Is he trying to create a mini residency?

I guess my biggest take away is exactly how bad the profession has gotten, how in the gutter it is, that graduates of a doctorate degree with hundreds in student loans are seeking donations from others.

If one wanted another warning sign for as to why you don't enroll in a pharmacy school, THIS might be it...

I also find this embarrassing, sort of..

Sadly, the mindset of the MAJORITY of pharmacists has always been: if I am doing okay, I don't care about what's going on in the profession; thus I doubt he will get too many people to donate... Not sure whether that's right or not..

I don't know what to think of it... What jumped at me other than the obvious is that it's a THREE MONTH program.. wow... Is he trying to create a mini residency?

I guess my biggest take away is exactly how bad the profession has gotten, how in the gutter it is, that graduates of a doctorate degree with hundreds in student loans are seeking donations from others.

If one wanted another warning sign for as to why you don't enroll in a pharmacy school, THIS might be it...

I also find this embarrassing, sort of..

Sadly, the mindset of the MAJORITY of pharmacists has always been: if I am doing okay, I don't care about what's going on in the profession; thus I doubt he will get too many people to donate... Not sure whether that's right or not..
I don't think he's asking for donations. He's more or less a fake guru / "subject matter expert" selling his own online "course" a la Tai Lopez. Remember during the last crypto bull run when all these scammers came out of the woodwork selling "bitcoin mastermind programs"? This is kind of the same thing, except for the fact that signing up for the Happy PharmD will somehow get you the pharmacy job of your dreams. I'll take my chances with the bitcoin scammers.

I don't think he's asking for donations. He's more or less a fake guru / "subject matter expert" selling his own online "course" a la Tai Lopez. Remember during the last crypto bull run when all these scammers came out of the woodwork selling "bitcoin mastermind programs"? This is kind of the same thing, except for the fact that signing up for the Happy PharmD will somehow get you the pharmacy job of your dreams. I'll take my chances with the bitcoin scammers.

The link clearly states "Donations" and "Donations Rewards". This is the angle that he is playing..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Life coach makes 200k/yr. Probably makes more for selling crap to gullible pharmacists.

Life coach makes 200k/yr. Probably makes more for selling crap to gullible pharmacists.

Scam artists like to find already conned victims, because conned once, more likely to get conned again.

I'm guessing he couldn't find enough gullible unemployed pharmacists with money to take his 3 month program and to support him in the lifestyle to which he has become accustomed, so now he is hitting up everyone for "donations." It's not that hard to get non-profit status, and there are a lot of shady non-profits, so if he can't even get non-profit status, makes me think he is even shadier than others.

Oh yeah, his site definitely reaks of scam. He offers a "financial pharmacist book package. Choose ONE of the following ($60) value"....."ONE" of the following is "the Pharmacist's Guide to Conquering Student Loans Paperback" is only $25 on Amazon, and cheaper if you buy used. I hate when sites do this, pretend like you are getting a great value, when you aren't. If he is lying about a bookthat I can easily check the price on, how much more is he lying about his services which he claims are of such high value?

And what is with the "freeCE Coupon" that gives you $10 - $20 off....is it free or just a discount?

"the Pharmacist's Guide to Conquering Student Loans Paperback"
Which is written by a financial planner pharmacist. Of which that entire industry is fraught with scams as well.

That so many pharmacists can't earn a living being a pharmacist is pretty revealing. All they can do is to sell **** to other pharmacists.

Last edited:
Anyone else actually read the description/info on Alex? Sounds like a typical snot nosed kid who thought pharmacy was a get rich quick scheme with zero pharmacy experience before deciding to pursue a career as a pharmacist. He clearly can't handle the stress of pharmacy or even adapt to said environment.

This so called "life coach" would appear to have let one gig get to him from his loose and very omitting description of his work experience...typical new grad given a PIC position with ZERO prior experience? Just caked with fluff/emotions

His pyramid scheme seems to be centered around the fact that he admits he chose the wrong profession (not thinking things through beforehand)

Last edited:
Looks like Michael Bolton!

Attachments

• 819272c50a22e1b8da3575704a8f6757.jpg
    819272c50a22e1b8da3575704a8f6757.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 50
This is like a pyramid scheme on top of another pyramid scheme (the PharmD training pipeline).

Disgusting.

I mean.... he's trying to help unemployed pharmacists, and you guys are ripping on him for that?

The concept of a life coach should be aggressively mocked

It’s so true - have you ever noticed some of the most aggressive “life coaches” are an absolute mess personally.

I’ll bet if you were snoopy enough to peer into a “life coaches” car, they are the type that the car would be full to the brim with garbage accumulated over years.

It’s so true - have you ever noticed some of the most aggressive “life coaches” are an absolute mess personally.

I’ll bet if you were snoopy enough to peer into a “life coaches” car, they are the type that the car would be full to the brim with garbage accumulated over years.
Or a bunch of Tony Robbins speeches on the playlist

I mean.... he's trying to help unemployed pharmacists, and you guys are ripping on him for that?

Perhaps you mean Alex Barker is trying to prey on unemployed pharmacists?

There are actually legitimate firms that do this work, I recommend ARCG, DHR International, or Staffmark for starters though most of the firms are regional rather than national below the Director level. Maybe I am too uncharitable on Dr. Barker, since the prospective clients became pharmacists in this era, so they are provably not the smartest tools in the shed and are easy marks.

I am quite puzzled why he left an easy GS-13 in a quiet station. He had career tenure as well.

what are your guys thoughts on the people on his team? lol

I am quite puzzled why he left an easy GS-13 in a quiet station. He had career tenure as well.
That's what I'm wondering too. He even went through the trouble of completing a PGY1 and worked for a few years before becoming an "entrepreneur".

Ironically, some people who read this thread will give him a free $1300 willingly.

There are actually legitimate firms that do this work, I recommend ARCG, DHR International, or Staffmark for starters though most of the firms are regional rather than national below the Director level. Maybe I am too uncharitable on Dr. Barker, since the prospective clients became pharmacists in this era, so they are provably not the smartest tools in the shed and are easy marks.

He pops up on LinkedIn all the dqmn time. I didn't realize that he quit his full time gig.

Whatever. Good for him lol

Yep, that crowd that just went into pharmacy thinking it's easy work and easy money with little to no actual interest in drugs or science
That's been everybody since like 2000 or so, though. Back when I got into this, they had these things called overlap and tech hours. It actually was a pretty cushy job. Honestly, it still is compared to being like a coal miner or a roofer.

• Haha
It has been a while. Good to see some excitements around here. I think this post has garnered most of the responds; with the potential to be the most popular thread of recent time after Covid.

All jokes aside, there are a few things I would like to point out:
1. I would like to give Alex credits for trying.
Unlike most of the keyboard warriors here, he took a lot of efforts to build a small business empire. He has invested a lot of time for about 10 years, it is impressive. He made something out of nothing.
2. Now, don't blame him or his followers.
What do you expect the unhappy pharmacists to do after they graduate but couldn't get into the residency programs or jobs at hospital settings like they were promised? Their dreams were crushed, hopes dimmed. They could not make in the today's retail world. After a hard day at work, they desperately needed someone who can sell them dreams and prospect.

Well. Alex is not selling this to anyone who doesn't equally want it. It is all about supply and demand.
How is this different than pharmacy school scheme? Pharmacy school charges 4 years @ $200K with various placement rate. His program is 3 months @$1,300 with xxx placement rate. ROI may be the same at the end of the day.
For people who do not qualify for residencies or do not want to invest in MHA, MBA programs, he offers quick and cheaper alternative to keep their dreams alive.

Let's be civil; I speculate that he is monitoring this forum from a distance, just to keep the pulse on the market.
What's wrong with this business model? Making money while helping someone? (just like pharmacists who make money, help people, with no guarantee of results)
Do we all feel better if a non-pharmacist is offering the same thing?
I am not connected to him or with his program.

• Haha
It has been a while. Good to see some excitements around here. I think this post has garnered most of the responds; with the potential to be the most popular thread of recent time after Covid.

Unlike most of the keyboard warriors here, he took a lot of efforts to build a small business empire. He has invested a lot of time for about 10 years, it is impressive. He made something out of nothing.
What do you expect the unhappy pharmacists to do after they graduate but couldn't get into the residency programs or jobs at hospital settings like they were promised? Their dreams were crushed, hopes dimmed. They could not make in the today's retail world. After a hard day at work, they desperately needed someone who can sell them dreams and prospect.

Well. Alex is not selling this to anyone who doesn't equally want it. It is all about supply and demand.
How is this different than pharmacy school scheme? Pharmacy school charges 4 years @ $200K with various placement rate. His program is 3 months @$1,300 with xxx placement rate. ROI may be the same at the end of the day.
For people who do not qualify for residencies or do not want to invest in MHA, MBA programs, he offers quick and cheaper alternative to keep their dreams alive.

Let's be civil; I speculate that he is monitoring this forum from a distance, just to keep the pulse on the market.
What's wrong with this business model? Making money while helping someone? (just like pharmacists who make money, help people, with no guarantee of results)

did you mention anything in here about soliciting “donations” that aren’t donations? If he wants to sell some books or products and just call it what it is and then use the margin proceeds on that to fund providing service to people - go for it. Don’t call it a donation if it’s not a donation.

did you mention anything in here about soliciting “donations” that aren’t donations? If he wants to sell some books or products and just call it what it is and then use the margin proceeds on that to fund providing service to people - go for it. Don’t call it a donation if it’s not a donation.

Exactly. If it's not tax deductible, it's not a donation.

I know this guy. Have talked with him many times and no I have never bought nor sold anything from him. In this era of self help gurus and the state of pharmacy, anyone who wants to say they have a sure fire way to bring you the job, spouse, or anything else of your dreams is very slim at best. I'm like one of the previous posters where I don't understand why he left what most call a "dream" job at the VA. That really makes me question what the hell is going on. I really hope he doesn't see himself as some type of prophet and just taking money and trying to justify it with self help courses.

If you can justify that what he is doing to people is the same business model as pharmacy schools then you are now the problem and not the solution. I would rather you start a pillmill with you your PharmD and sell to addictics because people "equally want it".

Wtf does he teach you in 3 months ?

also who cares if he's "monitoring" this forum... are you Alex lol

• Haha
Surprised no one stated the obvious. He got out of pharmacy. Most of us here have not. Maybe he does deserve some cred as a life coach!

Surprised no one stated the obvious. He got out of pharmacy. Most of us here have not. Maybe he does deserve some cred as a life coach!
This is a fair point. Grifting is seen as just as valuable a skill as anything else in many cultures and countries. Like, for instance, America.

The VA isn't for everyone. He probably hated management like me lol

The VA isn't for everyone. He probably hated management like me lol

Why is that past tense? A level of sociopathy is expected at any reasonable bureaucratic organization. It's totally present tense for me. But for someone like him, why couldn't he take his own advice if that was the case?

The place you work at though, is especially egregious. It's so dirty, I would actually bring my own sterile equipment if I had to be treated in there. Have they dealt with the infestation problem yet?

Edit: No, and your FMS are so screwed up, they had hydraulics blow up in a patient care building.