Done with considering medicine as a career???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamadream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm back again SDN. I've been on SDN for a whole year now. I've found a couple of useful tips and resources...for people who already has something established. Unfortunately, I'm not that person. I've barely taken any science classes. I purposely took non-science(electives) so I could transfer to a 4 year and do science classes. I took a semester off last semester because of a bill still has not been due...since last summer. During that semester off I volunteered for about three months at a school and then broke that commitment by not staying for the rest of the school year. I don't have any clinical experience whatsoever and its annoying because every job says you need this certification or that certification and that costs money as well. So I'm stuck at this point. Everything with me is a money issue or lack of resources and its just sad. Sorry to say, but I quit and its a shame because I've confided in a person and told them how bad I wanted to be a doctor and now I just...quit. It makes me sad that he would call me Dr.(My name) and the fact that Dr. will never be in front of my name. If I ever reconsider medicine, I will have to start completely over from scratch. I just can't imagine putting myself through that again. Thanks for all the help this past year SDN family and I hope everyone has a successful and great journey to medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you're absolutely sure quitting is the best decision, feel free to PM me for any advice. I come from a low-income situation and I can try to help you with strengthening clinical/non-clinical experience (without a certificate), taking courses, shadowing, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't quit! Take a break. Have you thought about just some basic healthcare training, and getting a healthcare job. Look into www.jobcorps.gov, its a government sponsored job training program, there are healthcare careers available.

What does Job Corps offer?
group.sflb

Job Corps offers hands-on training in more than 100 career technical areas, including: automotive and machine repair, construction, finance and business services, health care, hospitality, information technology, manufacturing, renewable resources, and many more. All training programs are aligned with industry certifications and are designed to meet the requirements of today's careers.

Job Corps also offers the opportunity to earn a high school diploma or a GED for those youth who don't have either. For youth who already have a high school diploma, Job Corps can help them prepare for college through partnerships with local colleges. Resources are also available for English Language Learners.

Courses in independent living, employability skills, and social skills are offered to all Job Corps students in order to help them make the transition into the workplace. For more information, please see our Recruiting Web site.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To say that you don't want to be a doctor because you haven't taken any science classes? That's silly. Take some and see how you like it. You don't have to major in the sciences either.

Obtaining volunteering and clinical experience is not a money issue, and unless you live in the middle of nowhere it's not due to a lack of resources. If you're anywhere near a college there are probably places nearby which you can volunteer. Clinical experience does not have to be paid either.

Based on your previous threads which I am familiar with, I just want to say this. Your road to med school may in fact be harder than most, but excuses are not going to get you anywhere. That's something you have to come to terms with; you're only hurting yourself otherwise. You can do anything if you put your mind to it and work hard. Nobody here can climb your hurdles and fight your battles for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Spend the time moaning and whining on SDN about your lack of resources more productively and maybe you'll get somewhere. You live in the US and obviously have the ability to spend a lot of free time on the Internet. You certainly have the capability of working to achieve medical school. You would just rather wallow in self-pity.

Reactions: 5 users
Clinical experience should not be a money issue.

Reactions: 1 user
If medicine was easy, everybody would do it. No one has ever waltzed right into medical school without their own hurdles. What you need to decide is whether or not it is worth it for you.

Are you using student loans? If you aren't, then you should. Many people confuse bad debt with good debt. Federal student loans, appropriately used, are a form of good debt, especially when used to pay for a degree that is useful (i.e. makes you employable). There are a few caveats - 1) take out only what you need to pay for school and survive, 2) maximize usage of Pell Grants and subsidized loans prior to unsubsidized loans, 3) Federal >>> Sallie Mae, 4) if it's an option, go to a cheaper school (e.g. public vs. private).

I'll propose another option that some in this thread may find unappealing - consider joining the military. I admit, it's not for everybody, but it's something I did and it changed my life for the better. If you have any specific questions about this, or financial aid stuff, feel free to PM me.

Not all is lost. You're still young - the future is always bright.

Reactions: 4 users
Don't quit! Take a break. Have you thought about just some basic healthcare training, and getting a healthcare job. Look into www.jobcorps.gov, its a government sponsored job training program, there are healthcare careers available.

What does Job Corps offer?
group.sflb

Job Corps offers hands-on training in more than 100 career technical areas, including: automotive and machine repair, construction, finance and business services, health care, hospitality, information technology, manufacturing, renewable resources, and many more. All training programs are aligned with industry certifications and are designed to meet the requirements of today's careers.

Job Corps also offers the opportunity to earn a high school diploma or a GED for those youth who don't have either. For youth who already have a high school diploma, Job Corps can help them prepare for college through partnerships with local colleges. Resources are also available for English Language Learners.

Courses in independent living, employability skills, and social skills are offered to all Job Corps students in order to help them make the transition into the workplace. For more information, please see our Recruiting Web site.
The only thing I see really is Nursing, LPN, Registered Nurse, and Nurse Practitioner. Not sure if Health/Wellness fits into something I want to do.

To say that you don't want to be a doctor because you haven't taken any science classes? That's silly. Take some and see how you like it. You don't have to major in the sciences either.

Obtaining volunteering and clinical experience is not a money issue, and unless you live in the middle of nowhere it's not due to a lack of resources. If you're anywhere near a college there are probably places nearby which you can volunteer. Clinical experience does not have to be paid either.

Based on your previous threads which I am familiar with, I just want to say this. Your road to med school may in fact be harder than most, but excuses are not going to get you anywhere. That's something you have to come to terms with; you're only hurting yourself otherwise. You can do anything if you put your mind to it and work hard. Nobody here can climb your hurdles and fight your battles for you.
Maybe I haven't explained myself thoroughly. I've volunteered for the first time and broke the commitment of staying for about 5 months(duration of second semester school year)I only stayed 2 1/2 months. So basically I did that for nothing...didn't get a chance to see students grow, obtain a LOR, or accumulate enough time to put that on any application. That was a waste of my semester off. I could have done so much more. During my semester off(which I'm already behind in classes) I should have gotten clinical experience....but nope. Supposed to be going to school this summer to catch me up a bit....but nope. Now I have to wait to transfer to a 4 year next Fall 2017 like are you kidding me. I am supposed to be Class of 2018 but I'm aiming towards Class of 2020 maybe even 2021!!!!!!! Lost my financial and can't get it back until a take a class...but guess who's not going to take that class this summer(still have an unpaid, but working towards it) so I can gain my aid back for the Fall....this girl here. It's just too much at one time and I'm lost. Also I'm tired of spending hours online searching up "How to get into medical school" instead of actually working towards getting into medical or gaining my experiences. So I'll probably be better off graduating with my Bachelors of Science in Biology and working in a lab...story of my life.

Maybe I haven't explained myself thoroughly. I've volunteered for the first time and broke the commitment of staying for about 5 months(duration of second semester school year)I only stayed 2 1/2 months. So basically I did that for nothing...didn't get a chance to see students grow, obtain a LOR, or accumulate enough time to put that on any application. That was a waste of my semester off. I could have done so much more. During my semester off(which I'm already behind in classes) I should have gotten clinical experience....but nope. Supposed to be going to school this summer to catch me up a bit....but nope. Now I have to wait to transfer to a 4 year next Fall 2017 like are you kidding me. I am supposed to be Class of 2018 but I'm aiming towards Class of 2020 maybe even 2021!!!!!!! Lost my financial and can't get it back until a take a class...but guess who's not going to take that class this summer(still have an unpaid, but working towards it) so I can gain my aid back for the Fall....this girl here. It's just too much at one time and I'm lost. Also I'm tired of spending hours online searching up "How to get into medical school" instead of actually working towards getting into medical or gaining my experiences. So I'll probably be better off graduating with my Bachelors of Science in Biology and working in a lab...story of my life.

Everything in the bold is your fault. You also lost your financial aide because you performed poorly in your classes which I remember from your other thread. Also your fault. Start taking responsibility for your own actions.

Last edited:
Tell that to these jobs. "You need your CPR certification + 6 months experience in a hospital setting" or this is my favorite one "You need your state license or certification" or "You need at least one year experience with patient contact" or something like that. Just whatever, its annoying. It all costs money or is too far away for a free class.

Everything in the bold is your fault. You also lost your financial aide because you performed poorly in your classes which I remember from your other thread. Also your fault. Start taking responsibility for your own actions.
I know its my fault, but I'm still too poor to afford to pay off my tuition bill. That's the only thing holding me back. I CAN go back to school if I please its just that bill hoovering over my shoulders. Financial Aid is not my issue at this point because I am working and my school has PAYMENT PLANS. But that bill is pass due so I have to pay it all at once if you get what I mean now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell that to these jobs. "You need your CPR certification + 6 months experience in a hospital setting" or this is my favorite one "You need your state license or certification" or "You need at least one year experience with patient contact" or something like that. Just whatever, its annoying. It all costs money or is too far away for a free class.

Dude are you serious or what? You can volunteer plenty of places where you don't need any certifications at all. If finding a volunteer gig is too "annoying" you'd never make it anyways, probably because you just don't want it enough. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Are you using student loans? If you aren't, then you should. Many people confuse bad debt with good debt. Federal student loans, appropriately used, are a form of good debt, especially when used to pay for a degree that is useful (i.e. makes you employable). There are a few caveats - 1) take out only what you need to pay for school and survive, 2) maximize usage of Pell Grants and subsidized loans prior to unsubsidized loans, 3) Federal >>> Sallie Mae, 4) if it's an option, go to a cheaper school (e.g. public vs. private).

I'll propose another option that some in this thread may find unappealing - consider joining the military. I admit, it's not for everybody, but it's something I did and it changed my life for the better. If you have any specific questions about this, or financial aid stuff, feel free to PM me.

I'm building credit now, just ordered a credit card last month. Both my parents have horrible credit so nope..no loans for me..for now. I can't take out anything federal or financial aid at this point until I take the class that made me lose my aid in the first place.

Spend the time moaning and whining on SDN about your lack of resources more productively and maybe you'll get somewhere. You live in the US and obviously have the ability to spend a lot of free time on the Internet. You certainly have the capability of working to achieve medical school. You would just rather wallow in self-pity.
I've haven't been posting on SDN in a long while first and for most. Sooo yeahhh. Plus I do take the responsibility of myself spending loads of time searching on the internet "how to get into medical school" or "how to gain clinical experience for medical school" instead of actually being productive with it. But please with your negativity, I can feel it through my computer screen.

I mean, good for you guys, but yeah, it is kind of a money issue in the same way paid internships are a money issue for some people. No, you don't have to get paid for it to be a good experience, but if you're trying to pay your own way every hour counts.

I mean, good for you guys, but yeah, it is kind of a money issue in the same way paid internships are a money issue for some people. No, you don't have to get paid for it to be a good experience, but if you're trying to pay your own way every hour counts.

You can get a regular job and then volunteer like most people do.

Dude are you serious or what? You can volunteer plenty of places where you don't need any certifications at all. If finding a volunteer gig it too "annoying" you'd never make it anyways, probably because you just don't want it enough. Good luck.
I need the money so no volunteering for me right now. Plus I do not have two references like good references which the hospitals in my area that I've researched require. I know what I'm talking about. I ate, breathed, and slept medicine. So yes I AM serious. You do need certifications. Go on indeed and simply search patient transporter or clinical aide etc and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I need the money so no volunteering for me right now. Plus I do not have two references like good references which the hospitals in my area that I've researched require. I know what I'm talking about. I ate, breathed, and slept medicine. So yes I AM serious. You do need certifications. Go on indeed and simply search patient transporter or clinical aide etc and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Write any reference you have then. They probably wont even call them ffs. Its better than not doing it at all. People who are successful and resourceful find solutions to their problems.

You can get a regular job and then volunteer like most people do.
Yes I have a regular job currently to pay off a couple things here and there. It will still take me two months or three to accumulate enough money to pay off that summer tuition bill, but I'm working hard....in a warehouse, I'll volunteer when I have more commute money.

Write any reference you have then. They probably wont even call them ffs. Its better than not doing it at all. People who are successful find solutions to problems.
Oh my bad they want LOR from these two references so I'm basically eff'd.

THANK YOU FOR THIS. This is what I've been trying to explain in the best way possible.

Your threads seem to go "Low-income person understands your struggles and offers you good, strong advice. Then you say that you can't do that for no valid reason" Over and over and over.

I don't think your situation is hopeless unless you choose for it to be. Many premeds had to support themselves throughout this process and were successful and overcame an incredible amount of obstacles.

I think it is a wise decision for you to call it quits or at least put the idea of med school on the back burner for now. You can revisit the idea in the future if you find yourself more prepared to commit. Good luck with your future path!

Last edited:
A negative mind will never give you a positive life.

I used to feel bad about how the cards were stacked against me, until I read posts by cabin builder on this site. Yeah, my situation still sucks, but holy crap if she can do it, anyone can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any individual truly interested in medicine will do what ever it takes. Volunteer and work a job. Not sure why this such a big deal.

Your threads seem to go "Low-income person understands your struggles and offers you good, strong advice. Then you say that you can't do that for no valid reason" Over and over and over.

I don't think your situation is hopeless unless you choose for it to be. Many premeds had to support themselves throughout this process and were successful and overcame an incredible amount of obstacles.

I think it is a wise decision for you to call it quits or at least put the idea of med school on the back burner for now. You can revisit the idea in the future if you find yourself more prepared to commit. Good luck with your future path!
Yh I'm pretty much done with doctor...but I do want to work in a lab doing research. One of those nerdy scientist.

I used to feel bad about how the cards were stacked against me, until I read posts by cabin builder on this site. Yeah, my situation still sucks, but holy crap if she can do it, anyone can!

can you link me to it?

I've haven't been posting on SDN in a long while first and for most. Sooo yeahhh. Plus I do take the responsibility of myself spending loads of time searching on the internet "how to get into medical school" or "how to gain clinical experience for medical school" instead of actually being productive with it. But please with your negativity, I can feel it through my computer screen.

Negativity? Telling you that you have the capability of working towards going to medical school is negativity? I don't think so. What you are engaging in with this thread and all your other threads is precisely the type of negativity that you need to avoid. It seems you want to find people who will nod their heads at you and tell you how terrible you have it and how it is impossible for you.

I'm back again SDN. I've been on SDN for a whole year now. I've found a couple of useful tips and resources...for people who already has something established. Unfortunately, I'm not that person. I've barely taken any science classes. I purposely took non-science(electives) so I could transfer to a 4 year and do science classes. I took a semester off last semester because of a bill still has not been due...since last summer. During that semester off I volunteered for about three months at a school and then broke that commitment by not staying for the rest of the school year. I don't have any clinical experience whatsoever and its annoying because every job says you need this certification or that certification and that costs money as well. So I'm stuck at this point. Everything with me is a money issue or lack of resources and its just sad. Sorry to say, but I quit and its a shame because I've confided in a person and told them how bad I wanted to be a doctor and now I just...quit. It makes me sad that he would call me Dr.(My name) and the fact that Dr. will never be in front of my name. If I ever reconsider medicine, I will have to start completely over from scratch. I just can't imagine putting myself through that again. Thanks for all the help this past year SDN family and I hope everyone has a successful and great journey to medicine.
wow it's you again

can you link me to it?

No. It's cabinbuilder. You've said yourself that you do nothing but hang out on this site. Use of the search function is not prohibited by your income so search her posts yourself.

In short, I used to think you either had to be a prodigy or a legacy or just have rich parents to get into medical school. She's living proof that you've just gotta be dedicated. A true inspiration.

You don't seem to have much work ethic tbh. You don't need any money for clinical experience, you volunteer or you get paid.

Don't even bother m8
I've never seen someone so dense. There are people on here not getting free room/board from their parents + school from government. If I remember her past due bill is like $500 from like December. Doing that math, she hasn't been going to school/work in 7 months during which I'm sure one can make $500. ;)

Last edited:
Try finding work at a free clinic. You will most likely not be paid, but it's a good way to get experience and there are plenty of positions that do not require any sort of technical or professional certification. Lots of people work to pay the bills and volunteer in their free time, you don't have to be volunteering 40 hrs/week to get a valuable clinical experience. It can be a little bit here and there over a long period of time.

Why do you think you have to volunteer and get a job that requires a license and experience RIGHT NOW? And if you don't, you just give up?

Take baby steps and maybe grow up a little. Or grow up a lot.

I've never seen someone so dense. There are people on here not getting free room/board from their parents + school from government. If I remember her past due bill is like $500 from like December. Doing that math, she hasn't been going to school/work in 7 months during which I'm sure one can make $500. ;)
I have a part time job and I have other expenses too many things are coming up right now for me to pay for school plus I just got a letter saying that my bill is now transferred to the state and I have to pay a 17% fee now.

I have a part time job and I have other expenses too many things are coming up right now for me to pay for school plus I just got a letter saying that my bill is now transferred to the state and I have to pay a 17% fee now.
wtf are you still doing here

Didn't you say you were done

How did you pay for your expenses for the 19 years before you got a job?
Why don't you just get a school loan if you can't make an extra $600?

OP I wouldn't worry about trying to get into medical school with your attitude, I would worry about graduating college, period.

Back at it again with medicine lol. Going to take a CPR class. I can actually afford that. Work in a hospital, gain some clinical experience, see if medicine is right for me, and save enough money to go back to school. Look at me now.

Agree. I joined the military because I saw my student debt rising way faster than I was comfortable with. Good debt or not, hundreds of thousands of dollars is a lot to pay off. The military is not for everyone, but if you have questions about it, OP, I will answer them honestly. It has been great for me. There are many harsh realities about military life, but my family has great (and free) healthcare, and my bachelors was free without even touching my GI Bill.

Anyway, I have tons of clinical experience, lots of experience finding free ways to volunteer with little resources, and utilizing the military. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Back at it again with medicine lol. Going to take a CPR class. I can actually afford that. Work in a hospital, gain some clinical experience, see if medicine is right for me, and save enough money to go back to school. Look at me now.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how it goes.

Join the military

There have been studies done that show telling people about your goals is more satisfying than attempting to accomplish them

Reactions: 6 users
One CPR class is not considered clinical, don't waste your money if you have to pay for it.