Don't know what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uvrsol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
a 4 in verbal?!? Lol sorry. Whattt the heck. How did you get a 4 in verbal?

You have no chance, sorry to be harsh but you need at least a 9, preferably a 10. I'd recommend taking English courses because that seems to be where you're at. Read books, read magazines, get out of the science mindset, expand your mind, you may be thinking about science too much. Make some friends who are native speakers and completely outside of the science bubble! I dunno. Go to concerts or a broadway show, make love, live life. A 4 looks like you may have learning disabilities which you clearly don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
English is my first language and I score 8s on my practice verbal... hope that makes you feel a little better

A 2, 4, and 4 on Verbal? Are you even finishing half of the questions? There is absolutely no chance of MD or DO with those verbal scores. Not sure what happened if you had been taking all the AAMC tests and averaging 8-9, only you can really give insight into that. You can wait and ask some of our adcom members, but I honestly don't know how schools would consider you if you did a 4th retake and scored and 8 or 9 when you have already scored sub 10th percentile 3 times already.

You should ask about this on international students part of the forum. I actually never heard of a non-native English speaker ever encounter such a difficulty with Verbal so that they would get a 4. I mean clearly, if you can read and understand a book on cellular biology, how can you get such a low score?

I think you need to sit down with someone and go through a Verbal section practice test and try to figure out what you are doing wrong.

Last edited:
IMO, you should have figured out what went wrong with verbal after the second score. A 4th retake won't look so good, even if you vastly improve.

I definitely feel your pain OP.

The rest of your application is great, and the only thing that's holding you back, it seems, are three low verbal scores. Unfortunately, a 4 (not to mention 2) is way too low to get an easy pass (6-8 will be much more manageable, 9+ and you are golden), and having three low scores is even more problematic. I would contact individual admissions committees directly to see how they view your situation.

English isn't my native language either, starting learning it when I was 12. no one speaks it at home either. I was able to score an 11 though, so I might be able to give you some tips for improvements and such. PM me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Practice, practice, practice? I think with a 3.8 GPA, you have decent reading skills. Half my Bio exams are trying to figure out what they are asking.