Don't understand this question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why this answer is not B (Y-linked) or C (X-linked), since the passage says the following, "...but only after paternal, not maternal, transmission of the gene..." Doesn't that mean this gene is only being transferred from fathers, so it would be Y-linked or X-linked? I'm confused...I think I'm missing something simple.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 11.08.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 11.08.57 AM.png
    372.7 KB · Views: 73
I don't understand why this answer is not B (Y-linked) or C (X-linked), since the passage says the following, "...but only after paternal, not maternal, transmission of the gene..." Doesn't that mean this gene is only being transferred from fathers, so it would be Y-linked or X-linked? I'm confused...I think I'm missing something simple.

The hallmark identifier of X-linked and Y-linked inheritance is specifically male offspring having the affected phenotype. Since there's no mention of male offspring being affected, you'd want to stay away from those two answer choices. Here's some info on imprinted genes: Imprinted Genes, but I wouldn't bother studying imprinted genes in depth. This is an EXTREMELY low-yield topic compared to just knowing the regular types of inheritance you see mentioned in prep books: autosomal dominant, autosomal recessive, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
The hallmark identifier of X-linked and Y-linked inheritance is specifically male offspring having the affected phenotype. Since there's no mention of male offspring being affected, you'd want to stay away from those two answer choices. Here's some info on imprinted genes: Imprinted Genes, but I wouldn't bother studying imprinted genes in depth. This is an EXTREMELY low-yield topic compared to just knowing the regular types of inheritance you see mentioned in prep books: autosomal dominant, autosomal recessive, etc.

blessed be the fruit