Dr. Stead's PA to MD Bridging proposal.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think with > 90% certainty that I could pass an md fp board exam. when studying every 6 yrs for my pa recert exam(which is a primary care exam) I use a text for studying for the fp boards. I pass all the practice tests. doesn't mean my training was equivalent to a 3 yr fp residency. those in the know will tell you: it's the training, not the test.

I don't disagree with your statement. I never said "it was in the test". In fact, I said the opposite. In order to pass the test, you've got to have the training. Now, taking the FP board exam by itself and passing it doesn't mean you could have passed step 1,2/cs,3, etc. But, if you happened to pass steps 1,2,3, completed a residency and passed your board cert, then I'd be confident you've had the training based on those accomplishments alone. I wouldn't need to know the details of "how" you were trained so long as you had made it over ALL of the required hurdles.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with most of what you are saying.
I would certainly fail step 1. not enough basic sciences in my head, plain and simple.
I would most likely pass step 2 and step 2 clinical.
I would almost certainly pass step 3 and an fp board exam.

don't know if you noticed but there is now a PA to DO bridge program that meets all your requirements. see current thread in this forum.

I took the PA boards, USMLE and COMLEX exams.

Not only did I score higher on step 2 than my class (2nd highest in class) I scored higher on step 2 than I did my PA recert exam.

Step 3 is a joke. ANY compotent PA could pass step 3 and I am vertually certain ALL of the PAs in my circles would pass stap 2

seriously, step 3 USMLE and COMLEX are like takin practice exams

Like I said, I have taken all three sets of tests and have a unique perspective. For whatever thats worth

E--I would bet my chopper you would crush both step 2 and 3

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the PA boards, USMLE and COMLEX exams.

Not only did I score higher on step 2 than my class (2nd highest in class) I scored higher on step 2 than I did my PA recert exam.

Step 3 is a joke. ANY compotent PA could pass step 3 and I am vertually certain ALL of the PAs in my circles would pass stap 2

seriously, step 3 USMLE and COMLEX are like takin practice exams

Like I said, I have taken all three sets of tests and have a unique perspective. For whatever thats worth

E--I would bet my chopper you would crush both step 2 and 3
I don't think anybody would find that too surprising based on what I've read.

How well would you have done on Step 1? Do you feel your competency increased after your residency? Do you feel the high admissions standards for medical school produce more competent healthcare providers?

I agree with most of what you are saying.
I would certainly fail step 1. not enough basic sciences in my head, plain and simple.
I would most likely pass step 2 and step 2 clinical.
I would almost certainly pass step 3 and an fp board exam.

don't know if you noticed but there is now a PA to DO bridge program that meets all your requirements. see current thread in this forum.
Looks like a pretty good deal to me. I'd even say that residencies should remove take some time off, like intern year.

IMHO, physicians should have a certain level of "competence" related to a minimum level of inherent ability, and silly stuff like the pre-reqs, mcat, step 1, etc play an important role in determining that. So long as you can clear the same hurdles, I don't care if a PA gets some of their clinical requirements tossed. That seems more than fair to me.

tncelm

Excellent questions man

There is absolutely NO possible way I would have passed either usmle or comlex step 1 without going to med school. zip, zero nada no chance.

After I graduated from med school--I still essentially felt like a really well trained PA. Seriously--its in the residency. It wasnt untill after you are left in the ICU/CCU by yourself for months at a time!!

Ive said this before. med school produces acedemics and residency produces physicians/clinician.

Thats one point about PA school. They have a goal of tryin to produce a clinician (for better or worse) upon graduation bacause PA residency is optional and most dont.

tncelm

Excellent questions man

There is absolutely NO possible way I would have passed either usmle or comlex step 1 without going to med school. zip, zero nada no chance.

After I graduated from med school--I still essentially felt like a really well trained PA. Seriously--its in the residency. It wasnt untill after you are left in the ICU/CCU by yourself for months at a time!!

Ive said this before. med school produces acedemics and residency produces physicians/clinician.

Thats one point about PA school. They have a goal of tryin to produce a clinician (for better or worse) upon graduation bacause PA residency is optional and most dont.
Thanks for the response. That's sort of what I was expecting, but I'm glad to have someone with experience let me know the reality of the situation.