Drafts in progress as of Sept 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flamingo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ERAS has a section to list manuscripts that are submitted, but not yet accepted, to peer-reviewed journals. What do you do when you are working on a paper that will not quite be ready to submit by Sept 1? Assume that this is your first big paper in the field to which you are applying and you think it will make a difference.

1) Go ahead and submit ERAS Sept 1st with this research listed under the research/experiences section with a comment saying that the manuscript draft is in progress. Update ERAS once manuscript is submitted to a journal in Sept or October. (I know programs get updates when we add things to our applications, but will they actually look back to see what new papers we have added or what else has been updated??)

2) Submit ERAS Sept 1st as in option 1. Update programs during interviews that paper has been submitted.

3) Wait until manuscript is complete and submitted before submitting ERAS a couple weeks late. (I am not leaning toward this option.)

Any thoughts?? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

#2 or #3. You can't update the CV section of ERAS, so you'll need to save that news for your interview day or email programs with it.

Honestly, "submitted" vs "in progress" is not that different. Anyone can submit something to a journal. From your description, it seems unlikely that anything will be accepted in application season, so I'd simply get your app in with a mention that you're working on it.

Of note, Oct 1st (or maybe 15th) is probably fine for most fields, so if you think it will be significantly done by then, that might be good. Again, you can't update your publication list once you submit, so if you really want it there you'll need to wait until it's done to submit your app.

I'm in a similar situation. Is it appropriate to say something like, "We plan to submit the results of this research for publication" in the description of my research? I want programs to know that I'll have more publications, but I doubt that anything will be officially submitted by the time that I interview.

Thanks for the advice, aProgDirector. It's probably a bad idea to rush to submit a paper to get it in ERAS...only to have bad luck and have it rejected and have to explain that to everyone who asks about it =P If I am currently working on manuscripts for two different projects, would it make sense to write in the description/comments for the research experience that I am working on the manuscript? Do program directors really read through those descriptions?

Thanks for the advice, aProgDirector. It's probably a bad idea to rush to submit a paper to get it in ERAS...only to have bad luck and have it rejected and have to explain that to everyone who asks about it =P If I am currently working on manuscripts for two different projects, would it make sense to write in the description/comments for the research experience that I am working on the manuscript? Do program directors really read through those descriptions?
Might as well. Most PD's will read through the descriptions, at least superficially. Be brief and to the point

I'm also in a similar situation. Our manuscript is almost finalized but due to the slow final review process among all of the co-authors and such, it won't be able to be submitted until after my application target date.

So since it is pretty much finalized, under my research description, should I be specific giving the article title and order of authors' names? Or should I just keep it brief and generic "manuscript in process"? I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to be more specific since I'll be first author.

If it is finalized and authors are in editing process, I dont see a reason why it cant go under publications?

If it is finalized and authors are in editing process, I dont see a reason why it cant go under publications?
It needs to have at least been submitted to be included in publications. Otherwise I have several more projects in various stages of manuscript-ness I could add.

This is all splitting hairs, if it's not accepted or published all it's going to get is a passing glance at most. No one really cares if its in progress or submitted, it hasn't been through peer review and that's that.

Sorry to continue to split hairs here, but.....
Does it make a huge difference if I end up being a 2nd author instead of 1st? I mean do PDs would be truly impressed if I was first author?or they be equally impressed if i was a 2nd author in kinda big deal paper with a whole group of authors?

Sorry to continue to split hairs here, but.....
Does it make a huge difference if I end up being a 2nd author instead of 1st? I mean do PDs would be truly impressed if I was first author?or they be equally impressed if i was a 2nd author in kinda big deal paper with a whole group of authors?
This is just my opinion, but being 1st author is a lot more work than being 2nd and thus, PDs may be a bit more impressed with it. But it's not something to worry about. It's probably not a make-or-break deal either way.

I would like to see what APROGRAMDIRECTOR thinks?

I would like to see what APROGRAMDIRECTOR thinks?

I have stopped thinking. I have discovered that thinking is the cause of my headaches. My life is much simpler now.

Unless you are applying to a research intensive program/field, its not going to matter much. People will care more about what you did than what order the names are in (but of course earlier in the name list means you did more)

you could ask your supervisor if it would be ok to list it as "submitted" if you plan to submit it very soon and know where you are submitting it. while this isn't 100% honest, i really don't see it as that big of a deal if you have done your part and are for sure submitting it soon.

ha ha I like your idea about just not to THINK aprogdirector!
Most research groups know the caliber of research and what journal it be appropriate for submission so mostly you dont even have to ask your supervisor if you are truely involved in the research all the authors should know where it would be sent