Drexel University College of Medicine Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got accepted a few weeks ago. I'm still trying to decide between Drexel and EVMS but I'm a Philly native so I think I'm going to go with Drexel. I'm definitely a PIL person - small groups help me learn much more easily than lectures. Are any current students from PIL able to give a rough idea of what your "average day" is like?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! Congrats on getting in! I'm currently a second year medical student who lives at Hathaway House, and I'm looking for someone to take over my roommate's lease for next year (he's going to be going out of town for rotations). Let me know if you're interested!

anyone filling out the financial aid scholarship info and know how long the essay should be?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone not able to access the financial aid site?

I'm getting an "SSL Connection Error," not really sure what that means.

nvm, fixed it.

I just got accepted a few weeks ago. I'm still trying to decide between Drexel and EVMS but I'm a Philly native so I think I'm going to go with Drexel. I'm definitely a PIL person - small groups help me learn much more easily than lectures. Are any current students from PIL able to give a rough idea of what your "average day" is like?

I have attended small classes all my life. Even when I attended a large public school in NYC, my classes were relative small, let alone college. So, on that point, PIL was an easy fit for me.

small group: 9am-12pm
For 3 days of the week (M, W, F), you have mandatory small groups session that starts from 9am ends at noon. Your day starts with a case that describes a patient scenario, and sometimes you have actors. For instance, patient X comes with this and that. Then, you along your group members generate a hypothesis appropriate to the patient clinical presentation. In the medical lingual, they refer to it as differential diagnosis (DDx). Then, you read some more and based on the patient history and/or physical findings, you re-rank the hypothesis. You discuss the case some more and concept map the case as well. Depending on the group's preferences, you can either generate learning issues throughout or at the end of the session. Learning issues are questions that you want answers for. At the end of the sessions, each of the group members is assigned a learning issue that s/he is responsible to research and present to the group on the next session. Then, small group is adjourned.

Lunch: 12-1pm -->self-explanatory

Resource session: 1pm to 3pm and this can vary
So, based on the case discussed in the morning, you have "lectures" that address many questions that you may have about the case, which makes your life easier when researching the assigned learning issue.

For Tuesday and Thursday:

It is a combination of lunch and resource session. Class on these days usually starts from 9am and ends at 3pm.

There you have it, my friend! I have been accepted to several medical schools and despite Drexel is quite expensive, I feel lucky that I have chosen this school. Based on what I have heard, Drexel does a good job preparing students for the board and PIL students in particular have done extremely well on their residency match this year.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot robu! It sounds like there is a lot of freedom about how to learn the material. That kind of program like you described sounds like a great way for me to learn. I'm really excited to be coming to Drexel! I know people say it's expensive, but at this point most private schools are. I'm looking at about $240k in loans no matter what so Drexel seems as reasonable as anywhere else; unlike other schools, they have institutional scholarships!

Hi all! I just went around Philly last week, and I locked in an apartment at Alden Park. Anyone else living there? Also, does anyone have an idea of when we start PIL orientation? Seems like the only thing listed is last year's calendar....

Oh, and I have come to understand how Primo Hoagies and Wawa's are going to contribute to my medical school-induced obesity.

Last edited:
Hi all! I just went around Philly last week, and I locked in an apartment at Alden Park. Anyone else living there? Also, does anyone have an idea of when we start PIL orientation? Seems like the only thing listed is last year's calendar....

Oh, and I have come to understand how Primo Hoagies and Wawa's are going to contribute to my medical school-induced obesity.
I think someone said in the school specific thread that there's no separate PIL orientation this year. Not sure if that's true or not.

I hope we start getting information soon!

If you think Wawa and Primo's are bad, don't go to Chubby's. It's an awesome burger/cheesesteak joint about a mile from the school.

I think someone said in the school specific thread that there's no separate PIL orientation this year. Not sure if that's true or not.

If you think Wawa and Primo's are bad, don't go to Chubby's. It's an awesome burger/cheesesteak joint about a mile from the school.

Yup - no separate PIL orientation; everyone starts August 1st with orientation. I confirmed with the office when I was figuring out housing...

I always thought Delessandro's across the street was better for a cheesesteak.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I was wondering if a philly local/current student could advise me on something - if I live in manayunk will I need a car in order to get to/from campus?

I think you'd be best off with a car there. Manayunk isn't far from campus, but it's on the side of a very steep hill so getting there in winter weather would take quite awhile on foot or by any other method. As someone who just posted on the FB page can attest to, parking in Manayunk is ****ty and having a car there is a hassle unless you're somewhere with an attached lot. Biking would probably be pretty fast in nicer weather, but there's also a lot of traffic on those roads so it's not the best of ideas.

They sent out the orientation email today. Looks like a pretty good week for PIL students. Anyone else psyched? I know I am!

+2. Although the orientation schedule for us potential PIL-ers has gotten me scared!
Haha! I was looking at that too. I actually don't mind because it means I can work longer and still take two weeks of vacation before we start.

Edit: Philly area peeps, there is a Center City Sips plan in the works for later this month. See the FB group for details or PM me.

Last edited:
Hi! I was wondering if a philly local/current student could advise me on something - if I live in manayunk will I need a car in order to get to/from campus?

Walking from Manayunk to Queen Lane campus is not very feasible. Although it depends on what area of Manayunk you live in, I would say it could take close to/more than an hour. I've never heard of any students walking to school from Manayunk. Biking is a possibility but still pretty difficult especially during the winter and summer. I would highly recommend a car if you're set on living in Manayunk.

Hey everyone,

I was just accepted a few days ago! Does anyone know how the apartment situation is at this time? Would there be open apartments at Carlton Park and Hathway? Either way, I can't wait to move in and start orientation. See everyone soon!

Also, if any guy(s) are looking for a roommate, PM me or reply to this please.

Hey everyone,

I was just accepted a few days ago! Does anyone know how the apartment situation is at this time? Would there be open apartments at Carlton Park and Hathway? Either way, I can't wait to move in and start orientation. See everyone soon!

Hathaway House typically has a waitlist of some sort because it's pretty high demand. I'm guessing that an apartment available for August would probably be unlikely. Not sure what the Carlton Park situation is at like at the moment but something could be possible. Alden Park also likely has something available since there are so many units.

Hey everyone,

Call Truck @ 215-844-6627 and see if he can help you. He is the superintendent for Queen Lane Manor, which is a building located right across DUCOM.