DVM360 Article--DVM Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish I were a man. The difference in salaries is staggering.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really, really is. Saddest part is that I'm going into mixed-large medicine and am female. Woohoo, lowest amount of pay!

$98 129 vs. $187 276 for female vs. male equine practice owners?!?! are you freaking kidding?

that does not make me happy. :mad:

Female to male discrepancies in salary are disheartening. I wish it wasn't still a concern in the world we live in today.

$98 129 vs. $187 276 for female vs. male equine practice owners?!?! are you freaking kidding?

that does not make me happy. :mad:

I think this will change with time. What you're seeing is a reflection on who owns many of the currently very successful equine practices and it's well known the the majority of the "big" ones are owned by males. As Time progresses we will see a shift in ownership as the number of females ready to own practices increases and the current men start to retire. I really don't think it is gender equality thing as much as equine practice ownership is still male dominated and giving skewed numbers. I would not let it worry you. And if there is a reason many women are bad at owning equine practices (I don't think this is the case) then you just have to be sure you are the head of the pack and control your destiny!

I fully plan on being an equine hospital (or two) owner and playing with the big dogs of the industry. Being female will not hold me back. If I need to I can hire male managers ;)

I'm betting supply and demand plays a factor too. More females are entering the profession and many practice owners probably strive to have a nice gender balance on their staff. If they really want to hire or keep the guy on staff, they may need to pay him more. just a guess!

I'm betting supply and demand plays a factor too. More females are entering the profession and many practice owners probably strive to have a nice gender balance on their staff. If they really want to hire or keep the guy on staff, they may need to pay him more. just a guess!

Also, a vet hospital medical director that I worked for once brought up an interesting point that I had never considered regarding vet salaries and job availability. He mentioned the fact that so many vet grads are women and that some women leave the full time work force to have children/raise families. This may be contributing to the perceived gender differences in pay. If some female vets are part time or took a few years away from the work force to raise families, their pay would be less than any other vet working full time or any vet that never took an extended leave from the industry. Not that all female vets are doing this, but if some do, it may be enough to make the numbers seem really off.
Not to say that I am unaware of the general trend of higher pay for males, just trying to contribute a different idea to the discussion.

While the points made regarding the changing demographics from predominantly men to women in the industry as well as the fact that many take some time off for children, what I found most upsetting was the huge difference in equine practices compared to other types of practice ownership. You're probably right in regards to the factors affecting female salaries and that things are changing. I just have a hard time reading about such a difference in one particular practice. ~$89 000/yr difference is quite far from the next biggest difference in food animal at ~$61 000/yr. We'll see a few years down the road how things pan out -- which will hopefully be for the better.

As an equine girl, I suppose I'm more sensitive to such numbers. :rolleyes:

If it really is that all other factors have been controlled for, then I'd be kind of disheartened too, but I wonder exactly how these numbers were compiled (though not enough to go and find the article and look). There are a ton of factors that could be playing a role here, so I'm reluctant to make that comparison between gender unless the analysis controlled for the number of years out of school, internship/residency trained or not, how many hours per week worked, and whether or not there's a gender difference in survey return, etc...

Last edited:
While the points made regarding the changing demographics from predominantly men to women in the industry as well as the fact that many take some time off for children, what I found most upsetting was the huge difference in equine practices compared to other types of practice ownership. You're probably right in regards to the factors affecting female salaries and that things are changing. I just have a hard time reading about such a difference in one particular practice. ~$89 000/yr difference is quite far from the next biggest difference in food animal at ~$61 000/yr. We'll see a few years down the road how things pan out -- which will hopefully be for the better.

As an equine girl, I suppose I'm more sensitive to such numbers. :rolleyes:

You need to dig deeper into things, as minnerbelle points out.
I definitely do not believe that these numbers were controlled properly.

Owning a practice is not the same as being an employee, there's so many more factors in the equation. There are far fewer equine-only practices than there are companion, and so smaller samples are more susceptible to error.

Also, given the changing demographic (which means that males have more experience on average than females), the female practice owners are more likely new owners of a practice..
From there, you reach multiple conclusions:
1) The female owner is on average less experienced and so therefore will not be as efficient of a worker as an (on average) older male, and will probably bring in less cash to the practice as the primary vet.
2) Females are more likely to own a new practice, and since practices are less profitable near their start (when growing their customer base), you'd expect the average to be so much less.
3) If females do not own a new practice, but rather bought an existing one, then it's less likely to be a very profitable practice. The more profitable practices are not for sale, the least profitable ones are (on average).

Also you can't ignore what previous posters mentioned: Males are less likely to be held back from work by a family. Therefore males would put on average more hours of work in.

Then, don't forget about the massive equine behemoth in the room: Thoroughbred Racing
The equine practices bringing in half million plus profits annually are based on the racehorse industry, centered around a racing hub like Kentucky. These practices are much more likely to be male-owned and have likely been around a long time (since the days of mostly male grads).

Not to mention that 'high-end racehorse owners' is an old boys club, and foolishly rich old males are more likely to be sexist.

These are mostly non-malicious and non-discriminatory variables, save the last one about rich old men being sexist :laugh:
Don't forget that there are a ton of factors at play.

Last edited:
I agree with what has been said about the gender shift and most older more experienced vets are male. Therefore most of the more successful practices will are owned by males, this of course will skew the numbers. That being said males typically make more than women in a lot of other occupations. I read an article about this not long ago and it suggested that one reason is that women work hard and just expect their efforts to be recognized and awarded with raises. Males on the other hand are more likely to walk up to their boss and ask for a raise. I have seen this personally in my job where some females will settle for a salary when they know that someone else is doing the same job for a lot more money. Don't be afraid to ask for more money, all they can do is say no.