ECHO fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Wanted to ask a few questions about the benefits of doing an echo fellowship. If one is planning on going into private practice, how much utility/benefit is there in doing an echo fellowship? I know for academia it is necessary if you want to read but how about if you are going into practice - does it give you a heads up? something that may be required in the future?

When one goes into a private practice, is everyone automatically assigned to reading echos on certain days? I wonder if after three years of fellowship, how comfortable one really is in their reads. I would have had four months total I believe by the time I graduate and I don't know if I can say I am going to be 100% confident in reading the very complex echos. Given that fact, it seems to make sense to me that an echo fellowship would be useful. Thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

it really depends on whether you plan to run an echo lab as a director which requires level 3. otherwise, according to the private guys i've spoken to, an echo fellowship is not worth the commitment. most have learned on the job post fellowship and the ase guidelines will be your friend.

if i were to spend another year on imaging, i would rather consider a multi-imaging fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
You think multi-imaging fellowship would be more useful than just a dedicated echo fellowship? Are you thinking more for academia vs private practice? I would imagine echo would be more useful for private practice.

- In general: level III = read at certain academic centers + TEE; Level II = read everywhere else +/- TEE
- Most anyone who graduates from a Cardiology fellowship will have the opportunity to be Level II and will subsequently be eligible for echo board certification through NBE. I would highly recommend for anyone planning to read pursue board certification b/c studying for and passing that exam really forces careful understanding echo critical for interpretation.
- Consequently, in my opinion multi-modality probably with nuke + CT + echo + vascular is critical for an imaging career b/c every generalist will be able to read echo.

The private practices I have seen you read the echoes on your patients that you order and you don't have a dedicated day. Most of the generalists I have seen read their own in office nuke + echo + vascular at a minimum.

I was trying to find out if everyone who graduates as of COCATS task force 5 will be level II, it seems so ... I suspect as of last year everyone who graduates will have ability to read echo. From the document:

"Echocardiography is integral to the practice of cardiology. Because of the fundamental and essential nature of the technique, all fellows should have the opportunity to achieve Level II competency, which would prepare them to perform and interpret echocardiograms independently. This varies from prior versions of COCATS in which Level II training was considered optional and was provided only to those fellows who desired such training."

I'm surprised your fellowship only has 4 months.

Last edited:
Yea I was surprised at only 4 months as well.

But I echo what was said above. Coming out of a general cards fellowship you should be able to get level II in echo. I think even the COCATS mention that as well as you won't be able to get level in EVERY imaging modality, such as MRI + CT + ECHO + Nuc but that it's reasonable to be able to get it in 2 or 3 of those areas. Level III requires further/advanced training and more useful for academics or if you're going to run/direct a lab.

Probably should clarify echo requirements in institution. Typically third year (at most programs) you have the option of choosing more echo months if you are non invasive track. U need 6 months to be level II 9per cocats 4)