ECU School of Dental Medicine Class of 2027 Interview/Acceptance Thread

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck everyone!

Link to last years thread: ECU School of Dental Medicine Class of 2026 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Link to interview prep: East Carolina University School of Dental Medicine Interview Feedback
Link to past class profiles: Class Profiles | School of Dental Medicine | ECU
Link to sample course map: ECU SoDM Course Map with Hours | School of Dental Medicine | ECU

----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Based on last year's thread, it sounds like we may begin hearing from ECU about interviews as early as the end of this month. Exciting stuff! Good luck, everyone!

Did anyone else get an email stating application is under further review?

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked back at last year's ECU thread for class of 2026, and on 07/28/2021 someone posted that they received the same "under further review" email (we are right on schedule with last year).. and the first person to post about an interview invite was on 08/15/2021. It's reasonable to assume that we should start expecting some movement in the next week or two 😁.

Reactions: 1 user
No, I was guessing someone would've heard something since they sent out interviews on 8/15 last year. But it looks like they haven't sent anything out yet!

Interview #2
School: ECU
Notification date: 8/30
Method of notification: Email
Residency: IS
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/1
Application complete date: 8/1
GPA (science, overall): 3.85, 3.90
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/24/22/22/No
Dates available: every Tuesday and Thursday
Method of interview: In-Person

Reactions: 2 users
Interview #1
Notification date: 8/30
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/20
GPA (science, overall): 3.81, 3.84
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/20/22/22/No

Interview #1
Notification date: 8/31
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/20
Application complete date: 8/24
GPA (science, overall): 3.3, 3.65
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 18/18/18/21/Yes

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview #4
Notification date: 9/1
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/7
GPA (science, overall): 3.76, 3.84
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 27/25/22/26/No
Dates available: 9/13 - First Date, every Tuesday and Thursday

Last edited:
Interview #1
School: ECU :)
Notification Date: 9/1
Method of Notification: Email
AADSAS Mail Out Date: 7/19
Application Complete Date: 07/28
GPA (science, overall): 3.95, 3.95
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/Any section below a 17): 23/23/21/25/No
Dates Available: Tues/Thurs, haven't called yet
Method of Interview: In person

has anyone called for interviews yet? what day is everyone planning to schedule for
I called! The person on the phone was super nice, and I got to be scheduled for the 15th of this month. Wish me luck y'all!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Interview #2
Notification Date: 9/6
Method of Notification: Email
GPA (science, overall): 3.73, 3.75
DAT: 22AA/28PAT
Dates Available: Tues/Thurs, haven't called yet
Method of Interview: In person 🦷

I just checked my AADSAS portal and see that my decision status is now "invited for interview". However, I have not received an email regarding an interview yet. Did anyone else experience this?

I just checked my AADSAS portal and see that my decision status is now "invited for interview". However, I have not received an email regarding an interview yet. Did anyone else experience this?
Yes you should recieve an email soon!

About how much percent of in state applicants does ECU accept after the interview?

About how much percent of in state applicants does ECU accept after the interview?
ECU only excepts in state and I think you have about a 50% chance after receiving an interview

Looking at class stats, knowing ECU interviews roughly 70% of the in-state applicant pool of 295 ( about 206.5 interviewed) and then accepts 52, would give you a 25% chance of being accepted after the interview. They tend to cast a wide net :/

Looking at class stats, knowing ECU interviews roughly 70% of the in-state applicant pool of 295 ( about 206.5 interviewed) and then accepts 52, would give you a 25% chance of being accepted after the interview. They tend to cast a wide net :/
The class size is 52, so that's how many actually enroll. The number of people accepted is probably higher.

The class size is 52, so that's how many actually enroll. The number of people accepted is probably higher.
Dang, that's true. I wish they would post more data (maybe there is something out there?) but I feel like that's as close as I'm gonna get to a number😭

Dang, that's true. I wish they would post more data (maybe there is something out there?) but I feel like that's as close as I'm gonna get to a number😭
yeah haha I wish they did too! I'm looking at the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools from the 2021-2022 entering class and it says that there were 329 applicants and they sent out offers to 84 of them. It says N/A for the number of people interviewed for some reason, unfortunately :(

so 84/~206 interviewed ~41% chance then?

When do you all think is appropriate to start worrying about a lack of an interview invite? Is it worth reaching out to ECU or would that just be annoying to them? Any advice anyone can offer.

Hey everyone! I just had an interview with ECU 11/1/22. They said this year they had a record low number of applicants. It was somewhere in the 200s (i think 240??? but I'm not sure) that applied. They will interview around 80% before accepting 52. They plan on sending out the first round of acceptances Dec 15th, NOT the 1st like usual. If you haven't received an interview yet, I wouldn't get upset. Last year I didn't interview with them until Dec 2nd , but didn't hear a decision until end of May.

This is my 4th year applying, 2nd interview
GPA 3.6 Science 3.3 DAT AA18/PAT22

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone else who previously interviewed get a thank you email from ECU just now? IDK what to make of it.

Interview #3
Notification date: 11/7
Interview Date: 11/29
Residency: In-State
Application complete date: 7/28
GPA (science, overall): 3.18, 3.24
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/18/21/24/No
Dates available OR your interview date: 11/29

Congrats! I wonder if they send an email all at once bc for my thank you email, they didn’t even type my name, it said “dear first name” LOL
My thank you email had "dear first name" as well lol

I got mine at 8:03 as well!! Congrats everyone!!
So I guess its safe to assume if we did not receive an email at 8:03am we did not get accepted? Did they send them all out en mass at the same time? Congrats to your acceptance

Accepted! 8:03am
Praise be to God!
My name was in the greeting this time =-)

So I guess its safe to assume if we did not receive an email at 8:03am we did not get accepted? Did they send them all out en mass at the same time? Congrats to your acceptance
Yeah pretty sure if we didn’t get an email at 8:03 this morning, we weren’t one of the 52 they chose first. Now we wait until people decline their seats

Yeah pretty sure if we didn’t get an email at 8:03 this morning, we weren’t one of the 52 they chose first. Now we wait until people decline their seats
Do they fill the whole class on dec 15th?

Do they fill the whole class on dec 15th?
No they do not. This was stated in the thank you email after my interview:

"We want to reiterate that no offers of admission will be extended until December 15th. ECU SoDM will make some offers on that date, but we will not be filling our entire class, as we will be interviewing through January 2023. After December 15th, admission offers will go out on a rolling basis, until the class is filled."

It's best to be patient in the entire process. Rolling basis...Acceptance letters getting denied by prospective students because they got in elsewhere...

Our time will come. Just be patient.

No they do not. This was stated in the thank you email after my interview:

"We want to reiterate that no offers of admission will be extended until December 15th. ECU SoDM will make some offers on that date, but we will not be filling our entire class, as we will be interviewing through January 2023. After December 15th, admission offers will go out on a rolling basis, until the class is filled."

It's best to be patient in the entire process. Rolling basis...Acceptance letters getting denied by prospective students because they got in elsewhere...

Our time will come. Just be patient.
Why did some interviewees get a thank you email afterward, and others did not? I am confused. I thought we were supposed to get the contact info of each interviewer and send a thank you email to them. I never received a thank you email.

Also, it sounds as if they do not fill their class entirely on December 15th, but the remaining seats are only considered for those who have interviews after December 15th - the ones who interviewed prior to December 15th who did not receive an acceptance on decision day are more than likely not going to get an acceptance this cycle.

Why did some interviewees get a thank you email afterward, and others did not? I am confused. I thought we were supposed to get the contact info of each interviewer and send a thank you email to them. I never received a thank you email.

Also, it sounds as if they do not fill their class entirely on December 15th, but the remaining seats are only considered for those who have interviews after December 15th - the ones who interviewed prior to December 15th who did not receive an acceptance on decision day are more than likely not going to get an acceptance this cycle.
I don’t really think your reasoning that pre-dec interviews are not going to get accepted this cycle is good logic. Seems from previous years threads that those applicants are still considered

I don’t really think your reasoning that pre-dec interviews are not going to get accepted this cycle is good logic. Seems from previous years threads that those applicants are still considered
Agreed, I don't think that is the case at all.

I think it is highly unlikely, not impossible. They chose their top picks from pre-Dec interviews on Decision Day (Dec 15th). More than likely, and I myself am included in this and am not excluding myself from it, if you interviewed prior to Decision Day, and did not get accepted, you are either waitlisted (which ECU doesn't have a technical wait-list), or rejected. Unless they do not have enough applicants after Dec whom they interview that they want to extend an acceptance offer to.

Does anyone know when the last day for the accepted students to commit or deny is?