Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No worries...

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody know how the wait list works for VCOM?

Anybody know how the wait list works for VCOM?

Unless it has changed in the past 2-3 years, VCOM ranks their waitlist. I'm not exactly sure how they do it if spots open up during interview season, but after interview season is over, they rank the final list of those waitlisted. You usually receive an email in the beginning of May to let you know where you stand. The top ten receive an email saying they are in the top ten, and then a certain percentage after that receive an email saying they are not in the top ten, but that if they do not get into the current class they are offered early acceptance to the following years class. I'm not sure if there is a different email sent to anyone else left of the waitlist. This is what happened when I was waitlisted at VCOM, but I'm not sure if it has changed at all. The class wasn't full until the end of March when I applied, so may be different if it is a larger waitlist group.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the style of interview? How many people interview you/all at once or separately? Open file/closed file? How long is each interview? Thanks in advance!

So if class is full and we have an interview scheduled, What doest that mean?! this sucks!! mine is in two weeks. you would think they tell us that its full.
I know...mine's next week. It does suck, but not much we can do but hope to get a good waitlist spot and still get accepted.

I know...mine's next week. It does suck, but not much we can do but hope to get a good waitlist spot and still get accepted.
Is this for the Carolina campus that the class is full? Where are you interviewing? Mine is in Virginia.

The Virginia campus is full. and I believe the carolina one too. I interviewed 1/31, and was told there was a select few seats left. Guess they got filled up by my interview group. You never know what can happen! have hope, I was waitlisted also. :luck:

Can anyone comment on the style of interview at VCOM?

They bring you into a conference room where everyone gets a chance to meet each other. Then each interview candidate is pulled out of the conference room and he or she will go on to be interviewed by faculty and finally a student. Then you meet up with the other candidates again and 2 students give the candidates a tour of the school, everyone eats lunch, and that's it.

The questions are typical Why DO? Why VCOM? Strengths, weaknesses...they also ask about any red flags or weaknesses that they see in your college coursework or MCAT. They may or may not ask about your volunteer experiences.

Just be yourself and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
They bring you into a conference room where everyone gets a chance to meet each other. Then each interview candidate is pulled out of the conference room and he or she will go on to be interviewed by faculty and finally a student. Then you meet up with the other candidates again and 2 students give the candidates a tour of the school, everyone eats lunch, and that's it.

The questions are typical Why DO? Why VCOM? Strengths, weaknesses...they also ask about any red flags or weaknesses that they see in your college coursework or MCAT. They may or may not ask about your volunteer experiences.

Just be yourself and good luck.
Thank you for the response!
Is the interview one-on-one/how many individual interviews/open or closed file?

The Virginia campus is full. and I believe the carolina one too. I interviewed 1/31, and was told there was a select few seats left. Guess they got filled up by my interview group. You never know what can happen! have hope, I was waitlisted also. :luck:
Thanks! Ill stay hopefull. Good luck to you too! I am excited to see the campus and the area.

If i remember correctly, the interviews are all one-on-one. The faculty interview is open file and I think the student interview is closed file. They ask mostly scenario questions. It's been over 4 months since I interviewed.

Interviewed on the 19th and really loved the school/area. I'm supposed to be reviewed today, so hopefully I'll hear something soon!

Wait, is administration meeting today or one week from today?

I interviewed on Valentine's...I'm in!!! VCOM was showing me love. I know that was corny. :)

Interviewed on the 19th and really loved the school/area. I'm supposed to be reviewed today, so hopefully I'll hear something soon!
Where did you stayed at? I am looking for hotels to book. My interview is next week. Thanks

Has anyone who interviewed on Feb 12th heard anything yet?

Where did you stayed at? I am looking for hotels to book. My interview is next week. Thanks
I stayed on the Holiday Inn Christiansburg. It was great and only $74/night when you mention VCOM interview. The hotel is brand new and nicely done...only a 5-10 min drive to campus on Main.

I'm guessing it's not a good sign that the committee met yesterday and I haven't heard anything yet. It seems like if it were an acceptance, I would've heard already. I'm anticipating an email instead....sad day.

I'm guessing it's not a good sign that the committee met yesterday and I haven't heard anything yet. It seems like if it were an acceptance, I would've heard already. I'm anticipating an email instead....sad day.
Thanks for the hotel info. Stay positive! Maybe you got waitlisted and that's not a bad thing. There is hope. Good luck!
also, Did you get ask any ethical questions? What where your questions like?...if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks for the hotel info. Stay positive! Maybe you got waitlisted and that's not a bad thing. There is hope. Good luck!
also, Did you get ask any ethical questions? What where your questions like?...if you don't mind me asking.
No ethical questions...just standard. Why DO, why medicine, why VCOM, specifics from my applications. It was very conversational and pleasant. :) I LOVE this school!

So I was told that I interviewed for a spot on the waitlist. There is 18 applicants on the waitlist as of yesturday. They are waiting on ppl to put down deposits and make decisions. After two weeks ill get an email with rejection or a waitlist. From then based on how many ppl accept the seats that's when they will take ppl off the waitlist. She said she won't be able to tell us where we rank on the list bc it's constantly changing but she will contact the top 5 applicants on the list. Good luck everyone now it's time to wait. :(

So I was told that I interviewed for a spot on the waitlist. There is 18 applicants on the waitlist as of yesturday. They are waiting on ppl to put down deposits and make decisions. After two weeks ill get an email with rejection or a waitlist. From then based on how many ppl accept the seats that's when they will take ppl off the waitlist. She said she won't be able to tell us where we rank on the list bc it's constantly changing but she will contact the top 5 applicants on the list. Good luck everyone now it's time to wait. :(
I'm waitlisted.

I'm waitlisted.
Ok. She said if you are waitlisted you have the option to be on the waitlist at the satellite campus too. I'm not sure how the rankin is done then. I'm hoping for a waitlist email too. Well Goodluck and let's hope we get top 5! N seats start to open back up.

Anyone know how often they pull from wait list and notify us?

Today, is the day that my life changed forever! I am moving to Virginia!!! Got accepted. Thank you God!

After perusing in the medical students forum, I felt the need to ask this. Does VCOM and it's affiliated hospitals prepare you for residency 3rd and 4th year? Do the preceptors let you handle patients, write notes, challenge you, etc? Because one of the students in the other forum stated they went almost an entire year without writing a note and they weren't learning anything from their rotations.

After perusing in the medical students forum, I felt the need to ask this. Does VCOM and it's affiliated hospitals prepare you for residency 3rd and 4th year? Do the preceptors let you handle patients, write notes, challenge you, etc? Because one of the students in the other forum stated they went almost an entire year without writing a note and they weren't learning anything from their rotations.

All the 3rd-4th years I've talked to say yes. You have the option of choosing a wide variety of different places to do your rotations, each with their own advantages/disadvantages, but they all prepare you well if you are willing to be proactive about it. You will most likely get more hands-on, lead-role type of experience in the smaller hospitals/areas, but if you go to CRMH in Roanoke, you will be competing for time with other residents, VTC students, etc - but you will get to see a wider variety of cases.

Were you outright accepted or pulled from waitlist? Congrats!
I was told yesterday...." the committee met today, and we had a seat open up, we would like to give you the seat."
.....So I am not sure if I was on the waitlist or not. I interviewed feb 27. I was told then that we would be interviewing for a waitlist. But I was never told I was waitlisted. Call them & ask where on the list you rank and ask how many more seats have opened up. Don't loose hope. Good luck!

That's good to hear. I don't think it's been asked, what are you planning on going into?

All the 3rd-4th years I've talked to say yes. You have the option of choosing a wide variety of different places to do your rotations, each with their own advantages/disadvantages, but they all prepare you well if you are willing to be proactive about it. You will most likely get more hands-on, lead-role type of experience in the smaller hospitals/areas, but if you go to CRMH in Roanoke, you will be competing for time with other residents, VTC students, etc - but you will get to see a wider variety of cases.

I was told yesterday...." the committee met today, and we had a seat open up, we would like to give you the seat."
.....So I am not sure if I was on the waitlist or not. I interviewed feb 27. I was told then that we would be interviewing for a waitlist. But I was never told I was waitlisted. Call them & ask where on the list you rank and ask how many more seats have opened up. Don't loose hope. Good luck!
thanks!

That's good to hear. I don't think it's been asked, what are you planning on going into?

I am just a first year, but my top two at this point are Anesthesiology and Neurology. I am keeping my options open otherwise, but I am married and would like to stay married, so any surgical residencies are towards the bottom.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SDN Mobile

Do you guys think they'll rescind my acceptance if I got a C in a course? I know we have to try and not get lower than a B but I'm struggling in my inorganic chemistry course. I end up missing one small detail like not counting the valence electrons correctly and would miss the entire problem because my professor doesn't give much partial credit.

Do you guys think they'll rescind my acceptance if I got a C in a course? I know we have to try and not get lower than a B but I'm struggling in my inorganic chemistry course. I end up missing one small detail like not counting the valence electrons correctly and would miss the entire problem because my professor doesn't give much partial credit.

Truthfully, I don't know. Please don't take the chance - use the stress to your advantage and get that B. You definitely can!

I apologize in advance if this is a rude request. I'll be applying here in the upcoming cycle and I was wondering if some of those who were accepted would post their stats. It'd certainly help me form some expectations on the possibility of interview or acceptance at this school. I'm an OOS and out of region future applicant, but my cousin did go to this school so I do have some ties.

For the majority of my rotations, I have been able to handle patients, write notes, etc. I've only had one that was really big on pimping me. Most others do it occasionally or more ask questions to help you think through the problem. One or two preceptors only dictate their notes so I didn't really right anything on those. On my ICU rotation though, I basically functioned as the intern. So you will see a variety of preceptor methods, but overall you will get to experience everything at some point.

Can anyone comment on what Spartanburg is like? Does it seem like a desirable place to live? I know med school will entail studying all the time but it is also important to be in a cultured environment and I'm just not sure what the diversity is like there. Any input would be much appreciated!