Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone comment on what Spartanburg is like? Does it seem like a desirable place to live? I know med school will entail studying all the time but it is also important to be in a cultured environment and I'm just not sure what the diversity is like there. Any input would be much appreciated!

VCOM Carolina student here, I was just creeping on the Virginia page and noticed that you wrote this post. We have our own thread for the Carolina's campus!! Edward Via - Carolinas (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2012-2013.

If you wanna PM me I will gladly tell you about Spartanburg! I've visited there quite a few times and can tell you some things about it. :)

Hope all's well!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interviewing on the April 17. Does this mean I'm interviewing for a wait list spot?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the interview, do they ask questions about the new healthcare act and specific facts about Andrew T Still?

For the interview, do they ask questions about the new healthcare act and specific facts about Andrew T Still?
It probably depends on your interviewer, but I didn't get any questions like that. It was very conversational and laid back. Definitely waitlist at this point in the game, though.

I'm looking for something to do this summer, anyone know of any neuro research at VCOM that they can hook me up with?

does VCOM take the best of each sub score from more than one MCAT??

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if any current students would be willing to chime in on this. I have a macbook pro and do not want to, or really need to get another laptop. However, the technology requirements state that many of the programs/ testing are not compatible with mac computers. I was wondering if there are any current students that have a mac and an ipad and whether they encountered problems with testing/ lecture materials while in school. I would be willing to get a new computer if it is absolutely required, but just wanted to know if I could save a few hundred dollars and still use my macbook as my primary computer. I know I could instal windows on my mac as well for potentially cheaper, but do not want to mess around with an OS that I have not had a problem with in 4 years!

Thanks!

I'm looking for something to do this summer, anyone know of any neuro research at VCOM that they can hook me up with?

Most of the summer research is going to be taken by rising MS2's, but you can try emailing some of the faculty. Otherwise just enjoy the summer.

Melomare17 said:
does VCOM take the best of each sub score from more than one MCAT??

Not really sure. The best bet is to just email admissions.

nineof9 said:
Stuff about Mac computers

Disclaimer: I use a PC (not one of the school recommended ones). That said, lots of students use Macs and Ipads every day and don't seem to have much trouble. Officially the school doesn't support Macs during exams, and so technically if you have a problem with ExamSoft on your MAC you could be in trouble, but it seems they'll still give you a paper copy so you can get it done instead of just giving you a 0. Some students do still take the chance and use their macs for tests, and I haven't really heard of any issues. I know some students will bring in cheaper PC laptops just for tests because they don't want to take the chance.

I want to relax and enjoy my summer but none of my friends can afford to go out of the country and I don't want to go alone. I have some trips planned but nothing big.

Also, regarding VTAG and financial aid packages, I recently sent in the VTAG app. I asked about the financial aid package but I haven't heard anything back (also what specifically is the financial aid package?).

Has anyone on the waitlist heard any information recently?

Hey fellow VCOM-VA students!

I am an incoming first-year student and I am looking for a roommate! I have a two bedroom/ two bath apartment, it is brand new with a washer/dryer at The Reserve across from campus. I am flexible with male or female as well as pets. I am a female and I don't have any pets. I can provide the furnishings for the kitchen and living room.

Please let me know ASAP. Feel free to PM me here and I can provide more details.

Thank you and good luck to all of the applicants who are waiting to hear back!

Cheers,
Leila

Hey, sorry for the delay in the reply. Things have been crazy these past couple weeks.

Cuongoff:

If I remember correctly the "package" just consisted of the estimated cost of attendance, suggested budget, and a list of institutional, local, and other applicable grants/scholarships/etc. that you can apply for. I wouldn't count of the CoA for a while though; and you can't even apply for the student loans until you are within a month of matriculation I think. But of course it doesn't hurt to have a guesstimate to work off of, so you can use this year's. Keep in mind that if you live in Christiansburg you can generally get away living a little cheaper if you don't mind a 5-10 minute drive. Plus it gets you out of Blacksburg, and away from the undergrads (and yes, there are some undergrads that do live in the apartments right next to VCOM). Definitely worth the 5-10 minute drive to me.

And to all that have gotten in - congrats!

Wasn't the wait list finalized the end of May? Shouldn't we have heard something by now?

Hi Leila,

I am an incoming first year student and also looking for a roommate! Have you found one yet?

Has anyone on here called admissions lately or been contacted by admissions regarding any movement from the waitlist, decisions, or any other information.

I have not heard anything yet. The wait is just a part of the process and I have decided to explore options for next year just in case I do not get off the wait list this year. Everyone at VCOM has been so great throughout this process and they make you honestly believe that they want you as much as you want to attend their institution. For me the waitlist is just an affirmation of having applied a little later and them wanting you.... just that you were not able to interview as early as others who were automatically admitted. I hope this helps that you are not the only one playing the waiting game, but just take it as another lesson. We have the rest of our lives to be physicians, why not take the opportunity now to pursue something interesting that will make us better doctors while we wait!!!! Medicine is not going anywhere for the time being and VCOM is the place where I KNOW my experiences will only ENHANCE my education!!!

Any current VCOM students out there? I have a question for you

My question is about the curriculum. I know the first 2 years are broken up into blocks, I was wondering how current students prepared for the COMLEX exam. My concern is that as I progress through the blocks I will become less familiar with the content covered in the earlier blocks. Is there a connection to previously covered blocks that I am not seeing? Or is it just the responsibility of the student to review before block 8?

Any current VCOM students out there? I have a question for you

My question is about the curriculum. I know the first 2 years are broken up into blocks. Is there a connection to previously covered blocks so that you don’t forget the material in the 1st blocks?