Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone not receive the secondary yet? I was verified a month ago.

I haven't received a secondary yet. I got an email from Ms. Farley on July 9th, saying that my application is scheduled to be reviewed by a committee. Other then that I have not received anything else from them. In the email, it said that the review process can take up to three months.

Members don't see this ad.

i haven't received a secondary yet. I got an email from ms. Farley on july 9th, saying that my application is scheduled to be reviewed by a committee. Other then that i have not received anything else from them. In the email, it said that the review process can take up to three months.

+1

I haven't received a secondary yet. I got an email from Ms. Farley on July 9th, saying that my application is scheduled to be reviewed by a committee. Other then that I have not received anything else from them. In the email, it said that the review process can take up to three months.

+2. I received Carolina Campus a couple weeks ago, but no love from VC

Members don't see this ad :)
+2. I received Carolina Campus a couple weeks ago, but no love from VC

You may want to contact admissions because the secondaries are exactly the same and everything goes through the VA office first anyhow.

I received one from Virginia Campus but not the Carolina Campus. I ended up only checking off the VC on AACOMAS but got an email and told them I was interested in both. Am I going to get a CC secondary too or does the secondary allow you to apply to both?

You have to pay AACOMAS :/

Ehhh. Okay, thanks.

I see that the Class of 2015 at Virginia campus has student's from 86% Appalachian states, whereas the Carolina has a 63% Appalachian sate percentage.

I am not from an Appy state, but I do prefer the Virginia campus to the Carolina campus.

Do you think I have a fair shot at the VC or should I apply to CC as well?

CGPA: 3.65+
SGPA: 3.5+
MCAT 25 (11 PS, 6 VR, 8 BS)

I really like the idea that the Virginia campus is affiliated with Virginia Tech (a pretty good research institution). I would be pretty happy to attend this school.

Also VCOM does a pretty extensive screening when sending out secondaries?

I really like the idea that the Virginia campus is affiliated with Virginia Tech (a pretty good research institution). I would be pretty happy to attend this school.

Also VCOM does a pretty extensive screening when sending out secondaries?

I don't think so, they just screen for GPA. I think you have a shot at the VA campus, maybe you should apply to both though because they look at composite score.

I am curious if they would consider me an Appalachian applicant since I am an Ohio resident but not from se Ohio.

So I've got a question. Did any of you receive a complete email yet? I submitted my secondary on July 18th but I am still not complete. Should I call?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've got a question. Did any of you receive a complete email yet? I submitted my secondary on July 18th but I am still not complete. Should I call?

Check your junk mail I have seen a lot of ppl saying they found the secondary in the junk mail box. Unfortunately for me I have an outlook.com acct and just realized they auto-delete junk mail, I cannot seem to figure out how to change the settings either so I emailed the admissions office to see if they have tried contacting me. I would double check your spam/junk box daily

Check your junk mail I have seen a lot of ppl saying they found the secondary in the junk mail box. Unfortunately for me I have an outlook.com acct and just realized they auto-delete junk mail, I cannot seem to figure out how to change the settings either so I emailed the admissions office to see if they have tried contacting me. I would double check your spam/junk box daily

My AMCOMAS was released on July 19th and I still haven't gotten their secondary... should I be concerned? How long does it take to get secondaries? It is odd because I have only gotten 2 secondaries and I applied to 9 schools... :-/

Also, is this the secondary?

VCOM-VC - Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Virginia Campus

1. List/Describe any work or volunteer opportunities NOT on AACOMAS (this one is more of a fill in the blank one rather than an essay)
2. What are the top five qualities you feel you bring to VCOM that would enhance the overall climate of our college? (500 words)
3. Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why? (500 words)
4. There are many problems facing healthcare in America today. Describe your interpretation of the status of healthcare in the United States today and those challenges the patients and physicians of tomorrow will face.(500 words)
5. In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application? (500 words)
6. If you have not completed all the prerequisite coursework, please state how you intend on completing it prior to matriculation. (500 words)

Last edited:
I took a look at the #s VCOM seems like a school in my stat range, assuming the Appalachian bias doesn't cut me out.

With that said, I'm pretty interested in this school now. I have a few questions:

1. What's the overall thoughts on this school in terms of board scores, residency placement, etc.
2. How's the campus and are there adjacent graduate institutions nearby?
3. How competitive is the DO/PHD program, how do we get considered and what are thoughts on it? I'd be very down to doing DO/PHD if possible.

Thanks to anyone who's able to answer a couple of q's!

Did you find out any information to any of your questions?

No that's not the secondary. The questions are on the CC thread. Also, you're fine as far as the timeline, just be patient.

The more I look at this school, the more I really really like it.

I hope I can net an acceptance and the Appalachian bias doesn't screw me over too badly!

Ohio Resident here; 27 MCAT
Really like this school; how strong is the appalachian bias here?

My AMCOMAS was released on July 19th and I still haven't gotten their secondary... should I be concerned? How long does it take to get secondaries? It is odd because I have only gotten 2 secondaries and I applied to 9 schools... :-/

Also, is this the secondary?

VCOM-VC - Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Virginia Campus

1. List/Describe any work or volunteer opportunities NOT on AACOMAS (this one is more of a fill in the blank one rather than an essay)
2. What are the top five qualities you feel you bring to VCOM that would enhance the overall climate of our college? (500 words)
3. Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why? (500 words)
4. There are many problems facing healthcare in America today. Describe your interpretation of the status of healthcare in the United States today and those challenges the patients and physicians of tomorrow will face.(500 words)
5. In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application? (500 words)
6. If you have not completed all the prerequisite coursework, please state how you intend on completing it prior to matriculation. (500 words)

They will be reviewing apps to send secondaries within the next few weeks so be patient - I emailed admissions bc I didn't know if they had even received my app but they are working on them at least you know if you get a secondary here they are semi- interested in you versus some schools your wasting your money on secondaries just to get auto rejected after wards

Ohio Resident here; 27 MCAT
Really like this school; how strong is the appalachian bias here?

Its pretty strong but not terrible. Are you from SE Ohio, I know they would probably count that as Appalachian.

My app was released to VCOM on 7/25. I don't expect to have been reviewed or have my secondary or anything yet, but I never got an email saying "We have received your application" or any email at all. I've kept an eye on my junk mail daily as well.

Its pretty strong but not terrible. Are you from SE Ohio, I know they would probably count that as Appalachian.

No, Cincinnati actually. Hoping they will consider me even though outside the appalachian area

I think they would still consider Ohio as an Appalachian state in their numbers regardless.

Has anyone with a sGPA under 3.2 received a secondary? Last year's applicants can chime in as well. I know they say it takes 3 months for review, but if there's really no chance, I'll add another school or two..

So I spoke with Ms. Mills and Ms. Farley when I went to have my pre-med committee interview me (I graduated both undergrad and grad from VTech). They look at your last 120 hours, and require a minimum of 3.2 GPA. If you GPA is below that, then they will not send you a secondary invite.

my sPGA is under a 3.2 (barely) and I got a secondary, so it just must be cGPA.

got an email today saying "Your application is scheduled to be reviewed by committee. The purpose of the committee meeting is to determine whether or not to invite you to submit a Secondary Application along with letters of recommendation. "

Submitted secondary, outside the region but hope to get some love.

got an email today saying "Your application is scheduled to be reviewed by committee. The purpose of the committee meeting is to determine whether or not to invite you to submit a Secondary Application along with letters of recommendation. "

JW, did you get a secondary invite from VCOM-CC? If you applied there that is?

Hey everyone does anyone know how heavily they screen for secondaries? For instance what are the odds of an interview invite with secondary?

When was your app released to VCOM?

My primary was released to VCOM 7/25 and I received the email today 8/5 that they got my application. It said they will "begin reviewing applications during the next two to three weeks and will be certain to follow up with you regarding your status at that time."

My primary was released to VCOM 7/25 and I received the email today 8/5 that they got my application. It said they will "begin reviewing applications during the next two to three weeks and will be certain to follow up with you regarding your status at that time."

Yeah, same here. Released on 7/25, e-mail today.

Hey everyone does anyone know how heavily they screen for secondaries? For instance what are the odds of an interview invite with secondary?

From their website....

"VCOM seeks to invite candidates who meet our minimum qualifications and those who
seem to have promise in possibly gaining an interview slot
to submit a secondary application. Those who do not meet the minimum qualifications and/or characteristics which meet the VCOM mission will not be extended an invitation to submit a secondary application. VCOM does not want to impose the secondary application fee or time commitment to complete the secondary application on candidates unless they appear to have met the minimum qualifications or have promise in continuing on to the
interview stage of the application process."

"Candidates should have achieved at least a 3.20 science and cumulative grade point average, on a 4.0 scale. The minimum overall GPA for acceptance is generally 3.20 in the last 120 hours."

"A competitive MCAT score usually begins at 24; however, at VCOM the MCAT is weighed in connection with GPA and other personal qualities we see in each applicant. The overall GPA and the interview are considered of the most importance. (The average MCAT is 25-26 with a standard deviation of 4)"

So my guess is they screen out applicants with a gpa less than 3.2 unless they have an outstanding app otherwise, and probably screen out MCAT scores of less than 18.

And to somewhat answer the second part of your question,

"While only candidates who submit a secondary application and all supporting documentation are considered for the next step of the admissions process (i.e. and
interview), not all individuals who are invited to submit a secondary application will be extended the opportunity to interview. The admissions process is competitive and about 350 individuals will be extended an interview on each campus to fill the 175 spots
on the Virginia campus or 150 spots on the Carolinas campus."

.... So to add to my last post, I think that they probably screen your primary for GPA and basic stuff. Then they screen your secondary more closely for MCAT, ECs, and overall fit. They do have the Appalachian bias, too. I don't know the exact numbers of how many get secondaries but it seems like they keep a strict policy of interviewing only around 350 applicants

Hello everyone,

I noticed that in the College Information Book, VCOM-VC says that they consider International Applicants "in select cases". Does anyone know what those cases might be? Have any Canadians matriculated here (or at least interviewed here) recently? Thanks!

My app was released to VCOM on 7/25. I don't expect to have been reviewed or have my secondary or anything yet, but I never got an email saying "We have received your application" or any email at all. I've kept an eye on my junk mail daily as well.

Same thing happened to me so I emailed admissions and they politely sent me a personal email apologizing and a standard "we received your app and its under review" email might be worth looking into

Well I read it to mean they interview 350 per campus. So 350 at VC are interviewed and 150 are accepted. At CC, 350 interviewed and 175 accepted. So 42% chance of getting accepted at VCOM once you have an interview and 50% chance of getting accepted at CC once you get an interview.

However the original person who asked the question wondered how many people that get secondaries end up getting interviews rather than how many interviewed get acceptances. I can't answer that directly but I thought the above information was still useful. If we knew how many people got secondaries, we could compare it to the 350 interviewed and see what the odds are.

Well I read it to mean they interview 350 per campus. So 350 at VC are interviewed and 150 are accepted. At CC, 350 interviewed and 175 accepted. So 42% chance of getting accepted at VCOM once you have an interview and 50% chance of getting accepted at CC once you get an interview.

However the original person who asked the question wondered how many people that get secondaries end up getting interviews rather than how many interviewed get acceptances. I can't answer that directly but I thought the above information was still useful. If we knew how many people got secondaries, we could compare it to the 350 interviewed and see what the odds are.

No, that's not what it means. It means 175 peeps matriculate; people are applying to multiple schools so they have to accept almost double what they matriculate. I'm not sure exactly how they figure this stuff out and. Also I think probably 70 percent of the primary applicants receive and submit the secondary.

The vc campus accepts more than that right? On thwir website it shows that class had 190

The vc campus accepts more than that right? On thwir website it shows that class had 190

Yes, I don't think those interview numbers are right though. Anyway no pointing speculating lets just hope :)

Yes, I don't think those interview numbers are right though. Anyway no pointing speculating lets just hope :)

I got those numbers directly from the VCOM website. Maybe they just aren't strict numbers and are more flexible.

No, that's not what it means. It means 175 peeps matriculate; people are applying to multiple schools so they have to accept almost double what they matriculate. I'm not sure exactly how they figure this stuff out and. Also I think probably 70 percent of the primary applicants receive and submit the secondary.

Yes, you are right about that. I wasn't thinking things through.

Are many people receiving secondaries so far? I've seen some people saying they submitted already- my AACOMAS was submitted and verified mid July and still no secondary :/