EM job market for DOs... Different than for MDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BNZN32

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering about the potential job market for DOs compared to MDs, especially in the western US.

Some of the physicians in the ED where I work (all MDs) have told me that there is a significant difference in job markets for the two degrees, depending on geographic location.

Are these concerns that significant? I assumed residency trained DO=residency trained MD.

p.s. Not meant to inflame anyone, I have a lot of respect for DOs, and consider them equal to MDs. I just want to have a realistic picture of what I'm getting into.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm wondering about the potential job market for DOs compared to MDs, especially in the western US.

Some of the physicians in the ED where I work (all MDs) have told me that there is a significant difference in job markets for the two degrees, depending on geographic location.

Are these concerns that significant? I assumed residency trained DO=residency trained MD.

p.s. Not meant to inflame anyone, I have a lot of respect for DOs, and consider them equal to MDs. I just want to have a realistic picture of what I'm getting into.

I would suspect that once you're a graduate of an ACGME residency program, that it would trump whatever initials you have on your degree. If you are a graduate of an AOA program, there might be validity to this concern...

I'm a DO, trained at an ACGME program, made no difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suspect that once you're a graduate of an ACGME residency program, that it would trump whatever initials you have on your degree. If you are a graduate of an AOA program, there might be validity to this concern...

It has no bearing on your job. If you're a good doctor, you should be able to get whatever job you want, regardless if you trained at an AOA vs. ACGME program. Places won't take a ****ty ACGME grad over a great AOA grad because of where they trained.....simple as that.

There is no question I will be applying to both- I want to maximize the possibility of staying in a specific location. An AOA grad is also a nominee for AAEM presidency.

In terms of the job market for emergency medicine residency graduates in the community jobs, there is no significant difference between the prospects for MDs and DOs.

In terms of academic appointments, I'm not sure if an allopathic medical school would care or not. Nobody seems to give this any thought where I work.

In terms of the job market for emergency medicine residency graduates in the community jobs, there is no significant difference between the prospects for MDs and DOs.

In terms of academic appointments, I'm not sure if an allopathic medical school would care or not. Nobody seems to give this any thought where I work.

I once saw an ad from PENN and they stated the applicant must be a US allopathic medical school grad.

I heard DOs have BO, maybe that is why PENN didn't want them.

Good to hear!

In general, being a DO won't make a difference when applying for a post-residency job. In general. We just hired our third DO in my community group, and it was a bit sketchy because he was from a DO EM residency not ACGME one so there was some talk re: this.

I wouldn't make the decision to go to a DO school vs. MD based on this however.

Q

Edit. Nevermind.

Last edited: