NYC EM job market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
235k is pretty low.
Northwell paying 315k or so
Mt Sinai 305k or so
NYU 290k or so
Presby I'm not sure it was classically less, but definitely more than that
The HHC hospitals are the only places I know with that low a starting salary.
The offer I got from Northwell was $290k... for 1872 hours a year... which is $158 an hour

My $235k is with pagny, if I calculated correctl is about $163 /hour.....

Which i think although $55k less, I can moonlight for like $200-250 an hour which will make up for the difference.

Members don't see this ad.

The offer I got from Northwell was $290k... for 1872 hours a year... which is $158 an hour

Which i think although $55k less, I can moonlight for like $200-250 an hour which will make up for the difference.

That is a ton of hours. I would want substantially more than $158/hr to do that. I'm getting burned out and work like 1700 hrs/year

Reactions: 1 user
I did residency with a guy who came from old money. His father and brother were optho. Their family had a castle in Luxembourg. They donated several million dollars to a medical school recently.
He never has to work a day in his life but chose to be a physician.

I knew a pediatric attending. Drove a Benz (back when that meant something) to her job at the FQHC to see Medicaid chip all day. Classy lady who married a real estate developer. But naive to drive a car like that to work. She doesn’t huff and puff at all the paperwork and insurance stuff because honestly her alternative is to be bored at home. And when the day is too tough, guess what she gets to retreat back to her mansion and plan her next party.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a ton of hours. I would want substantially more than $158/hr to do that. I'm getting burned out and work like 1700 hrs/year
Maybe the hours include the 4 weeks of PTO?

edit: damn it does, I still lose

Last edited:
I did residency with a guy who came from old money. His father and brother were optho. Their family had a castle in Luxembourg. They donated several million dollars to a medical school recently.
He never has to work a day in his life but chose to be a physician.
If I had a castle, there's no way I'd be grinding it out in medicine. I'd probably have someone dig a moat just to give me some extra buffer from it.

Reactions: 3 users
If I had a castle, there's no way I'd be grinding it out in medicine. I'd probably have someone dig a moat just to give me some extra buffer from it.

You can pick and choose your patients. Depends if they are 1) willing to do what you say, 2) pay money, and 3) not have a sense of entitlement.

LOL

I married old money, and I still do medicine.

People from there can't wait to get back. People not from there can't wait to leave.
this is so tru - my wife is from there and one of the few of her friends that left (and have no desire to go back). I personally can't stand the place other than a long weekend trip.

That being said, their pay for pharmacists is atrocious as well - I probably make 40% more here in the southeast than I would there.

Reactions: 1 users

Weird, maybe they're different salaries at different hospitals. My friend from residency just accepted an LIJ offer. 320k, 34 or 36 clinical hours a week I can't remember which. 1500-1600 hours or so for the year after factoring in vacation and cme.

I would rather live jobless, on a beach somewhere, off the money from a large inheritance, than have to work in any one of these crapholes.

Reactions: 5 users
Primary care is a hidden gem these days. Otherwise than procedural/surgical specialties, it's probably one of the better combinations of lifestyle, geographic flexibility and pay.

Some of my happiest med school classmates do outpt primary care 3.5-4days/wk, no call, weekends, or holidays. But they’re married to tech or ortho husbands;).

H+H/PAGNY was offering $185/hr when I was a medical student in the city (a few years ago) for the outer borough hospitals like Coney Island and Jacobi. Pre COVID, though, and of course this is what residents were telling me about their job offers so it's hearsay.

I'm looking at a few primary care offers in NYC that pay about $220-250k for 4.5 days a week plus light phone call (though PCP compensation is all over the place in the city). Take that for what it's worth in the context of EM having to work nights/weekends/holidays.

H+H/PAGNY was offering $185/hr when I was a medical student in the city (a few years ago) for the outer borough hospitals like Coney Island and Jacobi. Pre COVID, though, and of course this is what residents were telling me about their job offers so it's hearsay.

I'm looking at a few primary care offers in NYC that pay about $220-250k for 4.5 days a week plus light phone call (though PCP compensation is all over the place in the city). Take that for what it's worth in the context of EM having to work nights/weekends/holidays.
Usually that's starting out and as you get more experienced you can make more by being more efficent. Also a lot of these PCP places have loan repayment and bonuses

Usually that's starting out and as you get more experienced you can make more by being more efficent. Also a lot of these PCP places have loan repayment and bonuses
Yeah, most go to an RVU/productions model after 2-3 years. I've seen some that see only Medicare (taking advantage of the value based payment stuff) and are offering north of 300k for PCPs in Brooklyn, but I don't only want to see geriatrics.

I tell all my EM friends to come over to the dark side of patient continuity in primary care, but none have listened...yet.

Yeah, most go to an RVU/productions model after 2-3 years. I've seen some that see only Medicare (taking advantage of the value based payment stuff) and are offering north of 300k for PCPs in Brooklyn, but I don't only want to see geriatrics.

I tell all my EM friends to come over to the dark side of patient continuity in primary care, but none have listened...yet.
How would they go into primary care? Urgent care is the closest thing to primary care. But i’ve never seen an EM boarded doc set up shop as a PCP, or an EM boarded person be hired to do primary care in any sort of continuity clinic. Have you?

There are a lot of NYC EM docs here. Plenty of HHC docs. Freely share your hourly rates.

It's been many many years since I was in NYC. Back then, I think it worked out to 185/hr.

HH

How do you calculate your number?

I interviewed at several HHC places

Some places told me $118 per hour (salary / 40 hours per week / 52 weeks a year)

Other places will be actual hours worked (only 32 of the contracted 40 hours are clinical, subtract holidays and PTO and CME time, etc) and it comes out to be like $165….

Either way it’s total **** :(

Anyone know how HHC deals with the 8 hour academic time? The interviewer didn’t even mention anything about academic responsibilities during the interview, is it just free time?

How do you calculate your number?

I interviewed at several HHC places

Some places told me $118 per hour (salary / 40 hours per week / 52 weeks a year)

Other places will be actual hours worked (only 32 of the contracted 40 hours are clinical, subtract holidays and PTO and CME time, etc) and it comes out to be like $165….

Either way it’s total **** :(

So it varies per hospital but right now all my friends are making around 125-150/hr full time.

Its higher if you include benefits and vacation time but you get those with any employed position.