EMERGENCY MEDICINE 2015-2016 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a strategy to the waitlist if you have an interview invite but all dates are full? Is it better to select a day earlier or later for the waitlist? All waitlisted days have one person waiting.
The later the date the better, theory being more time for people to get tired and therefore more likely to be canceled!!

Members don't see this ad.

The later the date the better, theory being more time for people to get tired and therefore more likely to be canceled!!

I probably made mine to early then. Signed up for a Dec 1 date and am the first one up and there are 4 january dates all with 1 person each waiting.

I probably made mine to early then. Signed up for a Dec 1 date and am the first one up and there are 4 january dates all with 1 person each waiting.
I'll bet 20 monopoly dollars that you'll still get the spot regardless!! And just sayin maybe if you canceled an interview, someone that's holding your spot at this new place would cancel to scoop up the interview you canceled. There's no movement when people don't cancel interviews, it works both ways ;) lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Anecdotally, when responding to a "you've been waitlisted email", the program coordinator emailed back and said if this year is like past years there will be significant movement at the beginning of December if not earlier. I won't say what school other than it is a competitive program so I believe there is a pretty good chance to get off any waitlist.

Reactions: 1 user
I was sent a message on ERAS for a waitlist spot, the message said to respond to the program coordinator via ERAS Message Center. I assume this means that I just reply to the message correct? It came yesterday and I responded saying that yes I would like a wait list spot, but I haven't heard back yet. Thoughts?

I was sent a message on ERAS for a waitlist spot, the message said to respond to the program coordinator via ERAS Message Center. I assume this means that I just reply to the message correct? It came yesterday and I responded saying that yes I would like a wait list spot, but I haven't heard back yet. Thoughts?

Arkansas?

Yea, haven't heard anything. Don't worry, I'm sure the program coordinator is very busy but our responses were read.
I figured as much. Just wasn't sure, haven't dealt with ERAS much as most of my invites have been through Interview Broker and a few through email.

I'll bet 20 monopoly dollars that you'll still get the spot regardless!! And just sayin maybe if you canceled an interview, someone that's holding your spot at this new place would cancel to scoop up the interview you canceled. There's no movement when people don't cancel interviews, it works both ways ;) lol

If I were one of those people with 20+ interviews I would be glad to lol

I figured as much. Just wasn't sure, haven't dealt with ERAS much as most of my invites have been through Interview Broker and a few through email.

Thats correct. I confirmed by sending her an individual email and she said she received the ERAS message.

If I were one of those people with 20+ interviews I would be glad to lol
Hahaha touché!!! Which ever date you choose I'm sure you'll get in. Dec 1 is far enough away that someone is potentially going to cancel, but typically the later in the season the better ;)

So consensus on sending thank yous : to all the interviewers (today I had 5) or the PD or APD or coordinator???

EDIT: Sending 5 seems extremely excessive, especially since my personal style is a handwritten note (I will not send thank you emails)...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think a general thank you to the PC with the names of who you interviewed is fine...curious what other people think on this BS formality lol?!

It's BS until it's your time being spent interviewing and reviewing applicants ;)
Being totally serious, what do you recommend as far as thank you cards are concerned. I have the slightest idea personally as to what is acceptable and if they are necessary??

Ie: hand write them, email them, address to PC or Interviewers or just the PD. Buy a generic thank you card, print one out... It's like a never ending chain of questions I could ask lol?

Being totally serious, what do you recommend as far as thank you cards are concerned. I have the slightest idea personally as to what is acceptable and if they are necessary??

Ie: hand write them, email them, address to PC or Interviewers or just the PD. Buy a generic thank you card, print one out... It's like a never ending chain of questions I could ask lol?

i would definitely (and also going to be) just email anyone who gave you their email addresses which usually is the PD / APD and then also the residency coordinator. I wouldn't bother sending an actual thank you card but that's just my opinion. Gets the point across without clutter and they sometimes reply which is nice

Reactions: 1 users

They are a total pain in the ass. I am not Emily Post - she'd probably say send them to everyone. I am much lazier and I only sent them to the people that I actually interacted with. In addition, I only sent them to places where I had good feels and I wanted them to know I appreciated their time. I just used small cards via mail so they didn't feel like they had to reply (or read it, lol).

I will say that if you think you may do it, take notes of what you talked about with who right away, otherwise it may all just float out of your brain.

I highly doubt it makes any difference at all in the process, it just seemed (to me) like the right thing to do.

There were 96 USMD students in 2014 that had less than 6 invites and didn't match...try explaining to those 96 students how if they maybe could have gotten a few more invites that it wouldn't have "impacted" their chances lol.

It might have impacted their chances, but only at the expense of someone else not matching. It's easy to explain to them. Other than the unmatched spots (there were 8 last year I believe, and I'm sure they filled in the scramble), there was no place for those 96 to go without displacing someone else. If they'd received more interviews because of cancellations and then ended up matching, someone else wouldn't have matched.

Think of it in terms of primary outcome verses secondary outcome. Matching is the primary outcome. Interviews received is a secondary outcome.

EM continues to fill >99% of offered positions. If that number starts to go down, then I would consider a runaway, neurotic increase in the number of interviews attended by the top tier of applicants as a possible cause. But until then, I don't see how it makes a difference given that (almost) all the positions are being filled.

This is NOT to say there aren't silly reasons for going on too many interviews, like being unrealistically anxious about your chances of matching. And if you're being a gunner and actually trying to keep others from interviewing, that's disgusting. BUT, my point is that I fail to see the evidence that there is currently a problem with the EM match from people going on too many interviews.

Put another way: your argument as I see it, is

1. Fewer interviews by top applicants --> 2. more interviews by other applicants --> 3. more of those other applicants matching --> 4. good thing

I agree that 1 --> 2 and 3 --> 4 are logically true.

But 2 --> 3 is false.

Put another way: your argument as I see it, is

1. Fewer interviews by top applicants --> 2. more interviews by other applicants --> 3. more of those other applicants matching --> 4. good thing

I agree that 1 --> 2 and 3 --> 4 are logically true.

But 2 --> 3 is false.
I see the logical flaw. I would just make a slightly different argument: more people wouldn't match but those that do have a better chance of matching into a program that is a better fit.for example, take an applicant who goes on 20 interviews ranks 15 of them and and matches to his was number one choice. If he went on five less interviews there would be another applicant who have only gone on number 6 and now gets a 7th that he loves and maybe that's the number one ranked for him. And now both people get their best fitting program. Yes there's a chance that the first persons number one may end up being an interview he would have cancelled had he not gone on 20, but at least he has the luxury of choice. I would just a argue that more people should have that luxury when deciding where to spend the next 3-4 years of their lives. And the only way to do that is to share the wealth.

Hey folks, how do you go about writing a letter of interest to a program? What do you usually include in your letter? I don't want to seem desperate but I genuinely have an interest in this program and ties to the community.
I guess what I'm asking is how in depth do you go into why that program is interesting to you? Or is it best to keep it short and sweet with "Hi i'm interested and have community ties".

Last edited:
Hello,
When you cancel an interview invite via interview broker, have you also been emailing the program coordinator? It seems redundant to email, so not sure if it is appropriate. I don't want to be rude by not doing it though.

Hello,
When you cancel an interview invite via interview broker, have you also been emailing the program coordinator? It seems redundant to email, so not sure if it is appropriate. I don't want to be rude by not doing it though.
I'd probably email too just so they know you aren't just waiting for a different date.
Where you canceling at if ya don't mind us asking?

Yes, do both.

Just a quick 2 or 3 sentence email is fine.

I'd probably email too just so they know you aren't just waiting for a different date.
Where you canceling at if ya don't mind us asking?

Thanks! That makes sense. I'm cancelling Jackson and UVA

Hey folks, how do you go about writing a letter of interest to a program? What do you usually include in your letter? I don't want to seem desperate but I genuinely have an interest in this program and ties to the community.
I guess what I'm asking is how in depth do you go into why that program is interesting to you? Or is it best to keep it short and sweet with "Hi i'm interested and have community ties".
Keep it short and sweet but get your point across about how you are interested and why lol?? It shouldn't be rocket science ;)

Hi all, would like to get some insight into my situation... I applied for ER (decided a little later on this was the tract i was pursuing). I have 1 SLOE (just uploaded 2.5 weeks ago), 1 LOR from ER doc and 1 LOR from a surgeon, step 1-225, step 2- 253, comlex 1- 588, comlex 2- 643.. I applied to about 30 allo programs and 10 osteo programs -- I have received 5 allo interviews and 3 osteo interviews. Only a few rejections, 3, that I have received from programs that are pretty competitive. I sent several emails out to programs I'm interested in and haven't heard back. I'm wondering if I should be applying for transitional year as a back up, or start calling programs in the mornings?

Hi all, would like to get some insight into my situation... I applied for ER (decided a little later on this was the tract i was pursuing). I have 1 SLOE (just uploaded 2.5 weeks ago), 1 LOR from ER doc and 1 LOR from a surgeon, step 1-225, step 2- 253, comlex 1- 588, comlex 2- 643.. I applied to about 30 allo programs and 10 osteo programs -- I have received 5 allo interviews and 3 osteo interviews. Only a few rejections, 3, that I have received from programs that are pretty competitive. I sent several emails out to programs I'm interested in and haven't heard back. I'm wondering if I should be applying for transitional year as a back up, or start calling programs in the mornings?

First, I'd decide on which Match you plan on participating in. Then, I would consider calling programs, adding transitional years, as well as maybe applying to a few more programs. There should be some movement among programs as the interview season progresses, but you should have a plan B. Good luck!

I hate to say it but I don't think it's your away grade. I only have HP on both my home EM rotations, no always, 1 sloe and I'm sitting on 14 invites. So this whole process is a total crap shoot.

LOL you realize that 14 interviews is killing it right?

I'd consider 8 to be a decent amount of invites...it's definitely a matchable number of invites. If you can squeak out 2 more before the season is over I'd say your golden. What do others think lol?!

You and me both brother. I also think people are underestimating the amount of movement to come. If you have 8 now you will probably end with 15 come january. I talked to a resident recently who had like 7 interviews during the fall but ended up interviewing at 23 programs because his favorite places didn't invite him until december and january. He matched at his #1 with below average stats and he interviewed there in January.

Reactions: 4 users
that was exactly the point they were trying to make......
And my situation is slightly different as its 14 across 2 different specialty. I technically have 10 interview that give me 14 rank able programs.

Last edited:
A heads up to those interviewing at LSU-New Orleans: Interview day attire is indeed business casual; none of your (male) interviewers will be wearing ties.

Amazing new hospital, PD, and program btw.

You and me both brother. I also think people are underestimating the amount of movement to come. If you have 8 now you will probably end with 15 come january. I talked to a resident recently who had like 7 interviews during the fall but ended up interviewing at 23 programs because his favorite places didn't invite him until december and january. He matched at his #1 with below average stats and he interviewed there in January.
That's reassuring. It's just so anxiety provoking when so many people I have talked to have 20+ invites and are contemplating on which ones to cancel.

*humph* since when did we start receiving interview invites on a Sunday afternoon? I'll take it :D

Last edited:

I'm honestly not sure if this is true. Our school has collected interview data from all specialties. They ask everyone every week how many interviews we have. All the past data essentially shows that atleast for my school all interviews have been sent out by the first week of november. The average number of interviews last year by this time was 16 or so for the class above me. By the end of november, that number only went up to 17. So essentially, there were very few interviews that went around last year during the month of November, atleast for my school.

Can anyone offer any personal anecdotes on matching with less than 10 interviews. I feel relatively good with my 8 and a decent app with no red flags (I think). I've looked at the NRMP data and it's encouraging to see I will most likely match but some personal anecdotes would be appreciated. Also there seems to be varying opinions on how much wait list movement occurs. For those of you who didn't have tons of interviews off the bat how many did you get in late November/December?

Can anyone offer any personal anecdotes on matching with less than 10 interviews. I feel relatively good with my 8 and a decent app with no red flags (I think). I've looked at the NRMP data and it's encouraging to see I will most likely match but some personal anecdotes would be appreciated. Also there seems to be varying opinions on how much wait list movement occurs. For those of you who didn't have tons of interviews off the bat how many did you get in late November/December?
Anecdotally speaking, a friend from the year above me only had 5 interviews, for the entire year. We were all surprised considering his grades were well above average. He under applied as he thought he was a strong candidate but apparently he received a bad sloe that really tanked him, with getting interviews. He was able to match at his top choice even with only 5 interviews. So my words of wisdom is to kick butt on the ones you have and you should be good!!

Well, it's not the anecdote you're looking for, but I also have a decent app with great board scores, and no red flags (I think), and I'm sitting on 6 invites and 2 wait list offers, and 33 programs to hear from yet. I hope it's some sort of consolation that there are others in your situation who aren't bad applicants. I just keep telling myself that it's still fairly early in the process.

Just kinda curious where people are in the spectrum of interviews lol?? I figured it could be fun and since its been kinda quiet recently why the heck not! At 9 categorical EM and 3 EM/IM interviews to date, still waiting to hear from 20 plus programs.

I don't think it's that much more competitive than in years past...I do think emergency medicine along with other specialties suffer from internal competitiveness; as in 10 years ago you'd never go on more than 10 interviews, now it's seems like to go on ten your in the low end of the interview spectrum. So not really sure how much is driven from actual external factors (ie more applicants per spot ratio) or internal factors (applying and go on more interviews overall) that are driving this feeling of competitiveness lol?? I will say this there are definitely higher board scores, and more people applying than spots offered which I think adds to this "feeling" of being competitive. As anecdotal evidence, two friends made the decision to apply to radiology last minute. Both scores are high 210's they are sitting on more rads interviews than they know what to do with...there is almost a 1:1 ratio of radiology applicants to spots (but that is most likely radiology specific and the notion that it's become less popular therefore better odds especially if your a USMD!!

Just kinda curious where people are in the spectrum of interviews lol?? I figured it could be fun and since its been kinda quiet recently why the heck not! At 9 categorical EM and 3 EM/IM interviews to date, still waiting to hear from 20 plus programs.

I'm sitting at 5. Home, away, an away that isn't giving out autoinvites, Georgetown, and Hopkins. I also have a waitlist too but they need to exhaust their initial waitlist. Still waiting to hear back from 21 schools.

I actually had a spike these last 3 days. Friday morning 3 days ago i had 10 interviews. Today, by monday afternoon i have 15. Got taken off of the waitlist for one program (just accidentally happened to check if anyone had dropped a slot at 2 am last night. And what do you know, 2 spots were open, quickly picked one). And then got 4 new interviews. Ive reached the upper limit of the max interviews i wanted.

Reactions: 3 users
I actually had a spike these last 3 days. Friday morning 3 days ago i had 10 interviews. Today, by monday afternoon i have 15. Got taken off of the waitlist for one program (just accidentally happened to check if anyone had dropped a slot at 2 am last night. And what do you know, 2 spots were open, quickly picked one). And then got 4 new interviews. Ive reached the upper limit of the max interviews i wanted.
Sounds like someone had the best week ever!

24/42. The very last one was actually a waitlist spot that came in yesterday, which makes me wonder: How good are your chances of matching into a residency program that decided to extend you an interview invitation only after cancellations? Anyone know of applicants who matched into a competitive program that had initially waitlisted them?

Last edited:
24/42. The very last one was actually a waitlist spot that came in yesterday, which makes me wonder: How good are your chances of matching into a residency program that decided to extend you an interview invitation only after cancellations? Anyone know of applications who matched into a competitive program that had initially waitlisted them?

An email I received with an offer of being put on a waitlist assured me that the waitlist status would have no bearing on my ranking, if I were to interview.

20 invites, 5 rejections, 4 no responses, 3 waitlists, withdrew from 2 w/o hearing from them and 9 of the invites.