Employability of PEDS ER Fellows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Obnoxious Dad

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the job market like for peds EM fellowship grads in pediatric hospitals?

If a peds residency graduate trains as a fellow in peds emergency medicine, can he or she get a job after fellowship in the ER of a general hospital? If he or she could get a job in a general ER, would that physician’s practice be limited to patients who are 25 and under?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't have any official knowledge on this or anything, however, it would seem to me that a Peds residency trained and Peds EM fellowship trained Doc seeing adult patients in a "general" hospital ED would be a liability. Personally, I would be more than happy to let you see my kids, but there would be no way I would want you looking at me. Also of note, the Peds ED at my hospital stops seeing kids at age 16. Everything 17 and up goes to the adult side. Know other places that do the same. I think 25 is way high.

What is the job market like for peds EM fellowship grads in pediatric hospitals?

If a peds residency graduate trains as a fellow in peds emergency medicine, can he or she get a job after fellowship in the ER of a general hospital? If he or she could get a job in a general ER, would that physician’s practice be limited to patients who are 25 and under?

There are two ways to Peds EM. One is EM, then peds. Those folks can see patients of any age (due to the EM primary specialty training). The other is the one you mention - peds residency, then peds EM. Since those people don't have any adult training, they won't be credentialed anywhere to do it.

There are rough cutoffs for age limits, such as 16, 18, and 21, although some pediatricians will continue to see patients with congenital problems, even as they age. However, for bread and butter EM, the peds/peds EM people don't do it. And, from my experience, they're quite satisfied with that, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
A Peds/PEM trained person is going to work in a Peds ED, either one in a free standing Pediatric Hospital or the Pediatric side of a general hospitals ED. They will not see adults beyond the rare adult who comes to the wrong ED and requires stabilization before being rapidly transported to an adult ED. Age cut-offs generally vary from 16 to 21 and will be largely driven by volume with less busy Pediatric ED's using a higher cut-off to increase volume.

For many/most going that route, not being "allowed" to see adults is a major benefit. For those who are willing or happy to see adults, doing EM/PEM or EM+PEDS offers a generally higher salary and a wider job market...

Deleted

Last edited:
It's become abundantly clear that treatment in the US is vastly superior to treatment in Africa. None of the American HCWs infected have succumbed to the virus. A travel ban would be almost be a death sentence for any HCW unfortunate enough to get infected while volunteering abroad. This would also disincentivize medical groups to volunteer--aid that is necessary to stop the epidemic.

I like to believe that the US would never adopt such a callous and counterproductive policy without allowing for safe transport of US HCWs. I trust this President not to freak out and overreact to the situation.

I believe we interpreted the OP differently.

Reactions: 1 users
It's become abundantly clear that treatment in the US is vastly superior to treatment in Africa. None of the American HCWs infected have succumbed to the virus. A travel ban would be almost be a death sentence for any HCW unfortunate enough to get infected while volunteering abroad. This would also disincentivize medical groups to volunteer--aid that is necessary to stop the epidemic.

I like to believe that the US would never adopt such a callous and counterproductive policy without allowing for safe transport of US HCWs. I trust this President not to freak out and overreact to the situation.

I think you wanted to post this in the New York Ebola case thread.

My question concerned legal scope of practice and economics.

If he or she could get a job in a general ER, would that physician’s practice be limited to patients who are 25 and under?

The problem with working as a general emergency physician and a general hospital is that you need to be able to see all comers. An ER doc cannot work under limited credentials.

A peds EM trained pediatrician could work in a peds ED or in an adult ED that specifically diverts peds to a specific provider. In general these jobs go to gen peds trained docs outside of academic medical centers. You could be hired to do that job but likely at the rate that your non fellowship trained partners were making. As mentioned above, you would not be employable as an EP in hospitals without a dedicated peds ED.